What did you do to your HPI Savage today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have this as a sticky on my S-10 forum...Jus thought it would be cool to have a thread here and see where it goes since we are constantly makin mods,bashing and racing daily.

Today I:
Installed Venom fail-safe
Batt level indicator
New shock oil
Fuel filter
RPM wheels
Took the engine out ready for a Robinson Racing clutch bell to match the RR slipper clutch already fitted. It seems silly not to do both as a matching pair!

Took the big rig out after replacing the bent shock and broken sway bar mounts. Manged to rip a tyre, never done that before!! These haven't even started wearing out yet! The rubber is very thin on these so I might have to look into a better tyre setup. ??

20191203_181025.jpg

The HPI dirt bones were really really light, but wow, that is thin! I had a set of the dirt bones, only ran them once or twice and for where I ran, it was like driving with slicks.

Yea I'm not gonna lie, I was a bit disappointed with their performance. Was a bit slippery on the dirt jumps but at the same time grippy? if that makes any sense at all ?

When I brake, they're awesome, when I give it gas they suck. Seem to do well in the corners so long as I'm not on throttle ?

I took out the converted Savage x,found a lot of the weak spots runnning on3,4, 6s burn up my first motor, so far it drives and handles better than the XL I have.

I like to drive them and compare the differences, all I learned I still prefer Nitro :finger:

Attachments

• IMG_1080.JPG
    IMG_1080.JPG
    256.2 KB · Views: 9
Pulled this beast off the shelf today. This is my basher, whereas the other one in the projects forum is for speed. I may do a rebuild thread on this one later.

Attachments

• 7F2A4D98-52DE-4446-B170-E6DC03072796.jpeg
    7F2A4D98-52DE-4446-B170-E6DC03072796.jpeg
    394 KB · Views: 15
Put a tank (300cc) of fuel through it just doing easy, nothing over half throttle driving. It makes me wonder why I ever put these trucks away for so long.

( WARNING: NOT YELLING , ALWAYS TYPE IN CAPS )

I BOUGHT IT A BRAND NEW SPARE 4.6V2 ENGINE !

Attachments

• 20200611_164910.jpg
    20200611_164910.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 3
  • 20200611_164923.jpg
    20200611_164923.jpg
    299.2 KB · Views: 3
The bleed holes on my shocks were bugging me, every shock I've used had a bleed hole but was a screw so you could bleed the shock and then block it. These ones just had a hole and for me always leaked. Drilled and tapped a 3mm hole in them to suit a 3x3mm grub screw. Easy bleeding and no more leaking!

20200614_181018.jpg
20200614_181029.jpg

Also installed a new nylon diff bulkhead to the front, regreased the diff while I was there, got another for rear too which I just have to wait for.

Ordering the alza center diff this week too once pay day comes around ??

After a little over a year of sitting on the bench, ran 1/2 a tank a through it. Cranked right up after a couple pulls and ran rich. Started to work on leanin it out and when I brought it to me to turn the needle down and after sittin idle for a min, it flood stalled the motor. When I went to restart it, the pull start got caught on the T/B servo arm and snapped it. So after a 20 min fix, finished runnin the rest of the tank. And man, do I miss runnin it.

I've seen a number of people on here that have done the suspension conversion kit (HPI-87245), is it worth it? I've been tossing up whether I want to do it or not, mainly for the camber adjustment. Its ridiculously expensive though! ?
Here in aus its retailing over $250AUD!
Hobbies Direct, the hobby store where I get most of my stuff from, have it up for $278AUD!!!

Surely thats a bit extreme for what it offers? ?

Latest posts

Back