J1A1H XXL Torque Monster Buildup........

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
prolly not cheaper than hk but you get the pleasure of not buying from a company that rips off the rest of the world, lol.

as far as the end, they do expand like the rest of the mesh than you just put a piece of shrink tube on the end.

it does expand 4 times it size when you push it together... but you cant expand the ends in that manner...

ah, ok, why not?

the mesh is great. use it for heli's. there is a great company in the USA that sells the stuff in all colors very reasonably priced, fast ship :salute:

Hong Kong's closer to oz so shippings less, but thanks anyway

can the prices get much better than HK?? got a link to that site?

yeah, 50c a metre is hard to beat

as far as the end, they do expand like the rest of the mesh than you just put a piece of shrink tube on the end.

enough to get a servo connectors thru on 3mm mesh?

when you push the mesh wire together, the mesh has the ability to expand due to the design of the mesh... but on the end of the mesh... you cannot compress it together because it is the end. So it only expands so far... a 3mm mesh will not expand enough to get over a servo connector. You will need to remove the end, slide the mesh over and then re solder the servo end...

One problem i have been having recently though is with the plastic turnbuckle/tie rod ends not holding their shape. After a few cartwheels, the ends holding the ball joints, start to stretch and sag, causing play in the steering.... I don't know if other people have this problem, but this can occur after one large cartwheel or single, front wheel landing...

Ya i just blew all my ends out yesterday. everything held up fin but these. they are now ovals.....we really need an upgrade part. mind you i guess there needs to be a weak link somewhere, i just hate changing them. especially with ti turnbuckles because i actually want to reuse that part. lol. un-thread re-thread..

A few things have arrived in the post...
Thought i would post them up....

My Neu 1520 Motor has arrived but i need to collect it from the Post office and pay a £15.00 customs charge which is annoying! £7 VAT and £8 Handling! talk about rip off on handling!

A few things regarding the tie rod ends have been discussed...
88 i believe i found a semi decent solution.
I have been having problems with my steering failing after large cartwheels etc... The stock HPI Savage tie rod ends are just not strong enough!
I even used alloy ends and you wont believe, but after a cartwheel i inspected the alloy rod end only to find the ball stud had been ripped out from the alloy!!!!!
So this is my new approach... i am also hoping in increases my steering furthur due to the bend as you can see in the pic below.

These are beefy mothers!!!! I cant see them flexing anytime soon! Espeically with my TI Turnbuckles :) They are from a hyper st... they are the rear upper arms!!! so should be extra tough for the steering

2010-10-13102751.jpg

Also my Turnigy lipos arrived from HK! Ordered last tuesday and arrived wednesday after being sent out on friday from the German warehouse... Not too bad!

5000mah 40c 3s Lipos

2010-10-13102730.jpg

Happy just to have some lipos working again!!!!

I'm still waiting for castles new MMM HV to be released!!! getting impatient... this truck is so tame and controlled on 6s now thanks to the centre diff... i need to restore some mayham to the savage!

As some may know... i have been having problems with my hyperions failing because of their crappy amateur soldering.
Although i will never be purchasing hyperions again... it doesnt mean that i am not going to repair my current ones... I have found one dead cell, so i will remove and make it a 5s pack.

A friend of mine who also hates hyperion due to bad connection problems has just given my 2x2s 6500mah 35c lipos too.. So i will hopefully get them all working after i take them apart completely and resolder everything up... Which means i will be running 9s Hyperions!!! WOOP WOOP! ONLY IF THEY WORK THOUGH!

I may need some advice, on stripping packs down and re assembling them... they are definitely not the same as usual lipos i have seen having +terminals and -terminals on either end...
Anyone got any advice or know any good tutorials on repairing lipos and removing cells?

as for repairing lipos i have no idea, but those tierods look beefy. you will have to let me know how they work for ya. also i look forward to a review on the lipos. all cells were balanced on arrival?

Ok i ran the truck yesterday evening...

Those tie rods are awesome!!!! My steering is back to how it should be! very nice and tight!!! problem is because i ground of too much from the RSC Conversion on the knuckle, and the tie rods are doing such a good job... my drive shaft is popping out on one side occasionally... Nothing an O ring or two cannot fix on the diff side to push the shaft outwards a little...

So i definitely recommend these rods... BUT upon fitting, you do notice they hit on the hpi sway bars upon turning if you have them that is... But its a simple fix... just slide your sway bar mounts a little furthur inwards and dremel a little bit of the sway bar end to give a little clearance... minor problem really!

The lipos - upon arrival where all equally balanced at 3.87 a cell. They charged up and balanced absolutely fine.
The lipos... i didnt run so hard as i just wanted to break them in... But they gave me an awesome first run time... and held punch nearly all the way till LVC...

I am extremely happy with them! and i don't think i noticed much difference if any difference between these 40/50c lipos and the nanotech 45c/90c lipos i tried recently!!!!!

I will reveiw again as usually the first 10 cycles of these turnigys is where cells can fail or balancing causes problems... but i have already charged them for a second time and they were fine...

When they discharged after the first use... the cells were a little out of balance, but i found that to be a prob on all my lipos... It charged and balanced fine to 4.2V per cell!

good to hear its all working out for ya. those tie rod ends might be going on my trucks right shortly. beats the heck outta stockers.

if you feel you do not need the bend in the arm, you could always use a straight end from the adjustable upper arm instead... they are just as tough

Cheers Soro...

Anyway update...
Something nice arrived today from GCM! less than a week from canada to the UK

2010-10-15104130.jpg

2010-10-15104137.jpg

Hopefully this should cure my LiPo mounts breaking when landing big jumps....

And here is an undeited vid i though i would upload... I'm just doing some testing to see if everything is fine before 9s becomes available...

Found one main problem... the drive shaft keeps popping out of the axle, so i need some o rings on the diff side to push the shaft into the axle a little more.... This is due to me being a fool and grinding a little too much off the knuckle on the savage suspension conversion.

Anyway, i think its running really nicely and corners really flat and drifts are fun in a Monster Truck!!!
It is lacking top end but the 9s will correct that :)

These are the results i found after inputting them into the calc

9sspec.jpg

I'm most likely going to gear it down 1 or 2 teeth on the pinion so it runs a little cooler as the top speed will already be too hectic...

Here is the vid on 6s with the new 40c turnigy lipos... It was slippy out there

[YOUTUBE]gxasmEERfoE[/YOUTUBE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxasmEERfoE

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers pdh

Took the truck out today after i lost a screw in my steering assembly yesterday cutting my run short.

Today resulted in some carnage...

The rear left hub bearings blew completely... resulting in the SHD Axle no actually sitting on anything... Because i am a fool i decided to keep on running it resulting in the axle chewing up the hub...

So i have put a plastic hub on temporarily with a tie rod haha

Also i decided to do some speed runs with the moabs and i think the pinion had already worn a little too much... This resulted in the pinion blowing resulting in some CRAZY SPARK action and me hitting a bollard... no damage caused, only the pinion...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hew53NyAObo[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hew53NyAObo

Those 40c turnigy's pack a punch they are looking promising, keep us updated:blpower:
where's the beef... GCM batt box mounts
lacking top end :lmao:
Cool vids Josh, looked like you had a ball drifting on the grass, looked sick mate. :rock:
It's a shame about the bearing and pinion, but it coming along very nicely. :thumb:

Yea i am very impressed with them includinig the run time! I definitely will be buying more of these packs!

Didnt have time to put the batt box mounts on just yet... but i have a reason too now.

After installing a new pinion and replacing a bent shock shaft...
I took the car out for another road run since my last one ended so early due to the pinion...

I ran the truck very lightly to warm te motor and lipos a little and went to do a high speed run... before i could do the run, i turned to line up and all of a sudden, the pinion completely stripped and chipped a tooth on the spur too!!!!!!

don't know why this happend... i think my motor wasnt aligned correctly?

Very disappointed...
i will have damage pictures tomorrow...

[align=center]Due to not posting in a while, i thought i would update you lot as to what is going on and what is to come etc...[/align]

I have been running my savage and having a lot of fun with it... The centre diff is holding up and performing nicely with the new 500k oil. and the 40c turnigy lipos are awesome, as well as some nanotechs i have too...

Here is a teaser vid from the last meet i was at...

Youtube Teaser Bash Vid

[align=center]Here is a picture from the day too...

SavageXXLJump.jpg
[/align]

Anyway... my plans at the moment...

[align=center]As it is winter here... i can no longer wrench outside as it is just tooooo cold... So i have been making a new workspace in my garden...

2010-10-27124325.jpg

How i set it up on the inside

2010-11-03172209.jpg
[/align]

So at the moment... i am still trying to see what i want to do, and get everything built correctly for the XXL Savage...

As the new MMMHV (12s version) is not available yet and i have a feeling it wont be available for the next couple months due to the 8s version being released first... I have decided to tear the truck down COMPLETELY AGAIN and get all the alloy bits re anodised in Orange or Gold (most prob orange)

Also the reason for this rebuild is because i am building a second savage...

I am starting to miss the Standing Back flips, quadrouple back flips of jumps #and the crazy hecticness that a stock length savage flux is known for....

So i have starting piecing a savage together out of all my spare bits, and fell a little short. This is why i am going to take bits off the XXL savage and purchase all new bits for the XXL so it is shiny and sparkly once again and ready for 9s power!!!!!!

Plus it is NO LONGER POSSIBLE to jump the XXL... It is just a little too heavy, and too long, resulting in annoying arm breakages etc... So it will just be a handling, speed machine and the stock flux will be my hardcore basher....

[align=center]So this is where i am at currently....

2010-11-05162207.jpg
[/align]

I will be keeping this as stock as possible, but will be doing the usual BP upggrades...
I was going to buy some more BP Diffs but i will just take them from the XXL Savage and use HD Diffs in the GH Bulks as frddy from HPISF has been using his old stock HD Diffs in the GH Bulks with Much success as there is no flex... If they fail, i will just change them eventually... But this is one way to save some money in the mean time.

Need some integy rear hubs and i may stick with plastic front hubs on the basher for now... But ill see...

What i am also considering at the moment is a flat base chassi for a savage... It would be awesome for racnig purposes for LCG etc... but i am doing it to make my life easier... as i said this will be a hardcore basher, and things will go wrong..., we all know how hard it is to work on a savage tranny and change a pinion if something goes wrong... so i thought a flat chassis would make things simpler... AND MOST OF ALL... UNIQUE!

This is what the design is like at the moment... Thanks to the offset centre diff, the balance of the truck is perfect bringing the heavy lipos closer to the centre...

These are going to be manufactured for people who are interested...

The one pictured below is of stock length, but there will be an XL length version available too... If you are actually interested, PM Me and i will try and get one made up for you and give you pricing etc....

These will be available in the next month or so!

[align=center]
flux-truggy-foto_2890536_17411695_zoom_18269249.jpg

flux-truggy-foto_2890536_17411695_zoom_18269199.jpg
[/align]

The only difference is that... the servo will be laying down, and a custom mount will be fitted for the ESC to sit above the laying down servo.

What do you think... and comments are welcome!!!

Thanks a lot texas! Hoping to have more up soon

Small update and some carnage!

I am just rebuilding my stock length savage at the moment... i thought i would wait till the MMMXL before i put the XXL Truck back together...

I found some Rear Diff destruction!!! when rebuilding the truck! I knew there was a problem with the rear diff, but had just thought the bevel and spider gears had stripped... CHECK THE PICS!!!![/align]

[align=center]Now i have done a lot of damage to the savage in the past... but i have no idea how i have managed this.... i think it happend after a standing backflip on concrete... i think the diffs were not perfectly shimmed as they were shimmed for alloy bulks, and i had just put them in the stock plastic bulks... Here is what happend!!![/align]
[align=center]
2010-11-19234842.jpg

2010-11-19234907.jpg

2010-11-19234944.jpg

2010-11-19235004.jpg

[/align]
So i am finishing the truck off now... And hopefully it will be done soon and ill get some pics up...

did you blow out any of the ring, pinion or internals or just grenade the cup.

ive never seen that one before.

The ring and pinion were fine freddy... but the internals had chewed each other up and obviously the diff cup was not re useable... haha

The ring and pinion were fine freddy... but the internals had chewed each other up and obviously the diff cup was not re useable... haha

Wow that BP ring and pinion is really bomb proof! cant believe that they still survived!

UPDATES

wow... just checked my last post on here!!! Absolutely ages!

I'm back and ready to work on the truck! been finishing Uni and went off to Philippines to do some volunteer work which was awesome!

Savage is in a million pieces but i have plans to get it back together... so watch this space! :)

I haven't been running the truck to much.. but everytime i do use them, they perform really well!!! There was no real difference between these and my nano tech 45/90c lipos... but the hyperions 35c lipos are still the best in perforance but the worst in build quality. That is definitely what i have found

Some Updates & Images and progress

Centre diff/mech brakes and motor relocation

I had to put the centre diff and motor relocation on hold just for an extremely short while. I cannot use my existing TVPs as the 4mm alloy plates are causing problems while mounting.

I have chopped and drilled to many holes in my TVPs that they seem a little weaker.
I got two side plates made up which will go over the existing tvps...
They will be anodised in black so you should hardly notice them. And considering the LiPo boxes cover them basically, they will not really be noticed.
Having these new plates, means i can now remount all my internals exactly how i want them and wont be limited to where i am available to mount them.

flux5t1.png

Next update
LST HUB MOD

I am working out and currently doing an LST 2 Hub conversion.

Everyone knows that the Savage Hubs are at very best OK. The two bearing setup is weak ....

The LST conversion offers the possibility of running 3-4 bearings per hub!
Offers increased width without the need for extenders.
The Use of CVDs (no more shafts popping out of axles)

In order to get the lst hubs to fit the savage arms, only minor sanding of the hubs were required luckily!
To get the CVDs to work with the diff... i am using vorza diff axles
some pictures of me mocking up the hubs...

2011-02-18154616.jpg

Note where the hinge pin is in the pic below
2011-02-18154629.jpg

The hinge pin needs to sit as close to the bulk as possible to allow correct distance for CVD to work
I measured this to 6.5mm wider than stock
2011-02-18154642.jpg

Increased width over stock
2011-02-18154719.jpg

And the bulk braces being made up.
2x 4mm thick 7075alloy and 2x 5mm thick 7075alloy
The lack of bulk support shouldnt weaken the system as the braces are now thicker and made from much tougher alloy.
bulkheadbrace.png

Attempt at Bulletproofing my diffs more.
You can find the build for my BP Diffs here...
I basically used an entire HPI Vorza Diff but used the Savage BP Ring and Pinion.
Means you can use 2x 8x16x5mm bearings.
Stronger, thicker hardened internals.
Shorter axles to work with LST CVDs

Loads of comparison pics etc...

Page 1 of rebuild # - # http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/showpost.php?p=397619&postcount=74
Page 2 of rebuild # - # http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/showpost.php?p=397620&postcount=75

A LOT MORE IS COMING!

My shock towers arrived today...
I'm getting all my alloy pieces together before they go off for anodising :)

2011-02-21102221.jpg

2011-02-21102510.jpg

i know, i know... ALLOY... but i want some bling, and considering my nylon cage takes the battering, they should be fine. 9s will give me more than enough power to push the elephant around

LOOK AT THESE BAD BOYS SO I CAN NOT GET MY HUB CONVERSION DONE!

braces.jpg

made from 7075 alloy! top ones are 5mm thick and bottom are 4mm thick!!!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back