J1A1H XXL Torque Monster Buildup........

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok an update!

WOW AM I IMPRESSED

Dejan at Alza Racing has put together a brace kit to my exact requirements plus more!!!

All made from 7075 alloy
and the name of the truck as a little personal touch #8)

Ill let the pictures do the talking for now.
I will have full reviews etc coming up once i receive them and mock them up.

DEJAN YOU ARE A LEGEND!

001-4.jpg

002-2.jpg

003-2.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

As you can see... they mount the hinge pin outside of the bulkhead. This will give me the extra clearence i need to mount my LST Hubs!!!

Yes! He is an awesome guy! But i have also done him a favour. Many were not liking his previous products i believe. He has got a lot of attention from many people regarding custom work now.
I definitely think more and more people will have custom rc's now

Hi Josh, I'm interested to see how the bulk head and this product fit to the bulk plate and then onto the truck.

with this make the plastic bulk head stronger and keep the gear-mesh in perfect alignment (like the alloy bulks) so that we don't blow diffs?

can you provide a link to this? I'm interested.

This product is solely for the use of keeping the bulks protected.

No more ripped bulk heads. It will not do anything for your gear mesh like alloy bulks.

There is no link as he is just working on a kit for the stock savage... mine is extended for the LST hubs i want to put on.
But here is a link to his stock length pics

http://www.mojalbum.com/toplakd/savage-deli

ok. I'm thinking that these braces in combination with the carbon-fiber tvps would give me the strenghth I'm after.

wonder if anyone would be willing to trade me a set of these for my GH Alloy Bulks :thinking:

THis is quite a funny situation to be in...

GH Bulks i do not believe are necessary unless you are running only 6s or more with the lower kv motors in order to keep a solid reliable mesh.

I found that the torque of a 1520 motor on 6s was too much for the plastic bulks to handle. After a while of the bulks being strained... i would find they would slightly distort causing mesh problems, most noticeable when taking off, heavy braking and whilst jumping. But a new plastic bulkhead would cure the problem once again. But this was my main reason for going for GH Bulks.

I never had these problems running 4-6s with my 2200kv motor!

Maybe dejan would swap a brace kit for a pair of GH Bulks :) he does have a few savages after all...

i am emailing him now... and will post back.

I think you will more than like this braces.
I don't know if you saw, but the very front brace has also a hole in it
so it captures the pin and its closed on the front side, so the
pin can not slide in any way.

I hope they will arrive soon, so you can see them "LIVE"
Dejan

is that the "conversion" kit or the "upgrade" kit.

what is the difference between the kits? sorry to thread jack josh.

That is absolutely fine...

Frddy, my brace kit i requested is stretched 6mm either side. This is because i am doing the LST2 hub conversion utilising 3 hub bearings which allows me to use my wide offset wheels without premature bearing failure.The LST CVDs are longer than the savage so i had to pull the arm away from the bulk to use them.
You can see how it will work in the pictures.

Ill post it all soon.

You just require the standard kit from dejan for the savage bulks.

This is an example of what i am doing

DSCF4841.jpg

Upgrade kit is disabled so no one can make the mistake and get an uncomplete kit :)

Josh has the extended version of complete kit.

Regards, Dejan

THis is quite a funny situation to be in...

GH Bulks i do not believe are necessary unless you are running only 6s or more with the lower kv motors in order to keep a solid reliable mesh.

I found that the torque of a 1520 motor on 6s was too much for the plastic bulks to handle. After a while of the bulks being strained... i would find they would slightly distort causing mesh problems, most noticeable when taking off, heavy braking and whilst jumping. But a new plastic bulkhead would cure the problem once again. But this was my main reason for going for GH Bulks.

There are actually two bulkheads materials avaliable
This is the better of the non metal and come standard with some of the savage line up MT. I got rid of my metal bulkhead and been using this for months without issues. http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_25_1459_1122/products_id/34492/n/HPI-Composite-Gear-Box-Bulkhead-Set.

This is the unreliable and not so durable material, but it works though.
https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/seekpart.pl?src=ns&pn=HPI85235

Hopefully these arrive by monday! Very excited...

I'm unsure as to whether i should polish these up or anodise them red with all the other alloy.

As these is new alloy... could i just use polish to get a mirror shine? or would i need to do any buffing etc? i could use a dremel?

Thanks 666!!!

The New Braces Arrived Today.
I am very impressed with the finish product! Definitely exceeded my expectations for the price i paid!

These are not the final pictures. Just a test mount to see if i would have any problems with the CVD reaching the diff output axle.

Everything works perfectly! My new Alloy New Era Hubs will be a nice touch to making my truck more reliable as it gets heavier, and being able to run 3 wheel bearings, will allow me to run my full offset wheels a little more reliably without battering my bearings.

Also the widened stance by roughly 1.2-1.5cm is quite nice.. ill let the test pics do the talking

2011-03-01203428.jpg

2011-03-01203450.jpg

2011-03-01203533.jpg

The Brace Kit, Savage lower arm, LST Rear Hub & CVD installed. Upper arm is short. Waiting for longer turnbuckles.
2011-03-01202118.jpg

2011-03-01202214.jpg

2011-03-01202024.jpg

2011-03-01201940.jpg

As you can see the CVD sits perfectly in the cup
2011-03-01202406.jpg

Once my truck is entirely rebuilt. I will be doing a full review of how these hold up.

Now i am waiting on just a few my parts before all my alloy goes off for anodising.

As i am getting my Bulks and Shock towers Anodised Red. I am considering leaving my braces the natural colour to give it a litle contrast....
What do you think???

:joker:

This is such a sick build. Love how youre using all the custom bits, and making stuff that wasnt meant to work, work.

Plus rep, for a SICK build

WOW Josh your going apepoop with the mods mate, I love it. I hope lst cvd's are up to it, and it all come together nicely for you.

yeah those red washers look good against the natural alloy, I'd leav'em.

Thanks guys

Look at what else has arrived through the post today :)

Just pictures for now.. once i am ready, a new entire rebuild thread will be created :)

MASSIVE THANKS TO DEJAN ONCE AGAIN!
Created a custom diff/motor mount setup for me!

It looks very strong and robust, and will handle the 9s power thanks to the third mounting point on the motor side of the mount!

2011-03-08080800.jpg

Some other alloy bits and pieces which are all going for anodising very soon :)
I will have pics of things mocked up later today

2011-03-08080949.jpg

My new esc plate.... BUT YOU MUST BE THINKING... it is way to big for an MMM??? ;)
2011-03-08081122.jpg

BECAUSE...
It will be sitting this bad boy 12s controller!!! I ordered this from the states! and it arrived at my door in london in 5 days! NO CUSTOMS OR ANYTHING

2011-03-08081158.jpg

2011-03-08081231.jpg

Thats it for now...

SO MUCH MORE TO COME!!!!
Some mocked up pics will be coming shortly

HAHA thanks joe... but patience for the time being... It is always the finishing which takes the longest...

Of course Mr. Dude :wink: Let me try it out on the pathetic 9s first :lol:

So some basic pics...

Little teaser of it coming together
Trying to decide what will be anodised and what wont... Any ideas??? Remember the hubs will also be anod red

2011-03-08131328.jpg

Old Vs New Bumper/Cage Braces

2011-03-08130850.jpg

how they work - will be anod red
2011-03-08130808.jpg

LST2 Hub, Upper Arm spacers. Will be anodised Red
without spacers
2011-03-08130512.jpg

with spacers
2011-03-08130714.jpg

How the motor/diff will sit in the chassis... will be anod red too - Cant wait to fit them to my new custom tvps :wink:
From the top
2011-03-08124642.jpg

From the bottom
2011-03-08124624.jpg

Side view with ESC Sitting above...
I'm thinking of mounting some fans to the bottom side of the ESC Tray to cool the motor??? Ill see how my temps work out before attepting it

2011-03-08130958.jpg

Dejan has really done an awesome job!
Thats all for now

i really like the center diff idea. did you consider using any thermal grease (yes the stuff for cpu's) on the esc for cooling?

haha its a savage cross bread :)

Frddy, wouldnt i only need thermal grease if i was to connect another heat sink? How would thermal grease otherwise benefit the cooling?

I did some polishing of the alloy to see how it would turn out... Check out the shinyness haha :lol:

No reflection
2011-03-08204600.jpg

Slight Reflection ;)
2011-03-08204547.jpg

I think i am going to be getting everything anodised red apart from the shock towers and the new arm braces which i will leave polished.

2011-03-09011208.jpg

2011-03-09011238.jpg

2011-03-09011256.jpg

Thought i would try and fit some carbon vinyl to the plastic bits...
2011-03-08184942.jpg

Thinking about doing my whole nylon roll cage as it is looking a bit scratched - it isnt perfect but it is better than the scratched black nylon
2011-03-08185325.jpg

i will let you know weight when it comes together... no idea right now.. .but I'm expecting around 18-20lbs mark. I'm not worried about weight too much while running 9s... Just worried about strength of all the parts in a tumble...

There is a guy running a brushless baja 5t weighing 30lbs!!! and geared for 80mph with this ESC and it barely gets warm. So I'm not worried about that....

Black is nice, but i want to show off my shiny bits rather than hide them and allow them to blend in with plastic etc...

haha its a savage cross bread :)

Frddy, wouldnt i only need thermal grease if i was to connect another heat sink? How would thermal grease otherwise benefit the cooling?

i don't really know the answer to that Josh, but it seems that a lot of racers and people running planes with similar esc and the huge packs are using it and liking it http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_221_222/products_id/27506/n/Novak-Thermal-Heat-Transfer-Grease

maybe i'll do some searching and chatting on the subject when i get through the tax season and get a bit of free time at work.

ps, i like the idea of the red ano - black is nice but everyone's truck is black.

man, you got a crazy stock of parts there buddy +rep.

Very small update...

Still waiting on a whole load of parts before things can progress which is really frustrating...

New Era are probably the worst people i have ever dealt with... They have no responded any of my emails! Never will i be giving them business again, and discourage people to buy from them unless really necessary and you cant find the parts you need.

Anyway...

Firstly... Here is my new motor mount spacer so i can run mech brakes... Designed by the one and only Dejan once again! He has done an amazing job once again and turned them around in a couple of days even though he is extremely busy! THANKS DEJAN

IMG_6862.jpg

IMG_6860.jpg

And as this is not going to be a hardcore basher as in it wont be doing the same huge jumps it once was (i have my second flux for that) i thought i would try and improve the handling and take off on this XXL... I thought i would stiffen up the rear arms with some carbon arms from Vantage racing... I do not want front carbon arms as i need the flex when cartwheeling (i always broke front arms, never have i broken a rear arm in a cartwheel... It is because the majority of the weight is up front)

2011-03-16132328.jpg

2011-03-16132358.jpg

I'm going to have to work out a way of mounting my sway bars to them and my rear mud guards too....

Next are my new 23mm extended hexs... These will be anodised Red as well

2011-03-16132453.jpg

They will be extending my width because my SPIs are going to be shelved now for these below :)

I will be running red plastic beadlocks from MMR... Should be awesome... yes they are heavy but they will offer stability at speed and NO BALLOONING

Desperados and BowTies ----- I didnt want Hostile tyres as the side grip is too much resulting in roll overs... The bow tie will allow me to drift corners nicely but give me great straight line grip and acceleration due to the huge tread... People say they also wear down quickly... but this happens on bajas which are 10lbs heavier and all there weigh on the rear tyres. Which is the opposite to my setup.

2011-03-16143849.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Back