J1A1H XXL Torque Monster Buildup........

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
can the GH bulk be modded like Banks did the FLM bulk to use the RSC?

looking good bud, i bought a tap and die set from Canadian tire and i've put a lot of miles on it since. great investment for the hobby.

absolutely amazing frddy!!!

They are smooth like butter... no play at all... I didnt have to use a shim but i used a single shim anyway on the ring gear side to get a tighter mesh with the pinion.

I have only found two problems with it..

You cannot use the RSC conversion upper arm brace. There are easy ways around this anyway.
The HPI Sway bar attachment points are not threaded...

those are the only problems i could find, and bare in mind, not many people use the RSC with this but i feel the sway bar holes shoiuld have at least been threaded

jestus... i don't think you can modify the bulk enough to get the RSC upper arm brace to fit.

88... it is about time i get my self one as i do frequently find myself needing to thread new holes occasisonally... but what sizes should i be going for that suit an RC hobby???

whattheflux... the adjustable upper arms do not work as they don't offer enough adjustability... i already have them and tried it out and it doesnt work :(

I didnt have to use a shim but i used a single shim anyway on the ring gear side to get a tighter mesh with the pinion.

keep a close eye on it. the bp diffs don't want to be shimmed as tight as their predecessors.

prolly be fine but maybe inspect after a couple runs.

i just bought a kit of a bunch of sizes. so far i haven't had an issue with it. keep up the great work on your ever changing truck

will do frddy... the truck always comes apart after a few runs anyway for quick maintenance.....

Cheers 88!!! i cant wait to get it back into one truck!!!!... when you say you have a bunch of sizes... what do you mean?
The ball studs i need need to have a 4mm inner diemeter as the stock upper arm pins are 4mm... Are these actually available anywhere? i cant seem to find them... :-/

You should try to get the arm braces to fit, it the main reason for getting the rsc imo.

3-5mm should cover most of your RC needs. I got a cheap metric tap & die set M3-M8 at my local hardware for $10, it does the job.

If you can't get the upper arm brace to fit, once you get a tap set you could try cutting the inside 1/2 of the adjustable arms shorter, don't think you'd need to take much off, drill it (4mm bit) & tap it 5mm(M5), and you should be laughin.

I know i really should get the arm braces to fit for the RSC... but its impossible without grinding through the bulk head...

I have a new idea for body protection, and i am considering using the Hellfire towers as they have lower a arm mounting positions...the only reason i never wanted to fit them before is as we all know, shock towers must be able to flex, but as i am not going to use the shock towers as body mounts, i may be fine. This is looking like the only way around this at the moment...

I'm going to sleep on it and see what i decide

I know i really should get the arm braces to fit for the RSC... but its impossible without grinding through the bulk head...

I have a new idea for body protection, and i am considering using the Hellfire towers as they have lower a arm mounting positions...the only reason i never wanted to fit them before is as we all know, shock towers must be able to flex, but as i am not going to use the shock towers as body mounts, i may be fine. This is looking like the only way around this at the moment...

I'm going to sleep on it and see what i decide

the metal hellfire towers suck caz they bend when you bash.

but

i sent larsen a shocktower a while back and he offers the hellfire towers in his sweet carbon-fiber :jamout:

i know hellfire tower suck... i know any alloy tower sucks if you are a basher....

But thats only if you use the towers at body mounts too....

I'm making my own roll cage that bolts to the tvps and dooes not connect with the towers so all should be all right as they will never take any force from bad landings...

But thats only if you use the towers at body mounts too.....

nah, thats not the only place they bent on the hellfire. they twist like a warm pretzel on the ears where the shock mounts to it. might be ok with the roll cage if your takin contact point out of play but they are also extremely thin compared to a savage tower and the savage is at least double the weight of the vehicle they were intended to be used on.

another dude here made a big thread a while back on puttin em on his savage - ran em for like 5 minutes. not tryin to pop your balloon, just sayin' don't expect much from them.

well i am fully aware that PRC are doing some nice ones... i would ideally prefer to keep the use of the stock plastic towers... but i feel in order to get the most out of the rsc, i should be mounting the upper arms lower as they should be rather than using the stock mounting point...
I am away this weekend so ill think about it when i get back...

Ok ive been working on getting the truck into one piece this weekend... It has been apart for so long. The centre diff is complete, and i have put the LiPo boxes on as i am prepping for 9s... And also made a start on my own custom nylon roll cage... Its not completed yet as i still have to make the front shock tower protection and after thats completed, i will be setting the camber and shimming my axles and other little things like meshing the motor and CD....

Tell me what you think?

First... I bought a cheap tap screw set to try and tap the bulks for my sway bars... anyway that didnt work so i improvised... It works and will hold for the time being... Not pretty but i don't care.. i just want to run teh truck

2010-09-11133128.jpg

Made an internal LiPo stop. Will prevent the LiPo flying into the centre diff...

2010-09-11133156.jpg

Ok the pics of my cage....

How it started...

2010-09-12152928.jpg

I attached the nylon to the bumpers... this way, force is transferred to either bumper rather than the TVPs or anything else...
To hold the screws in place, as to not rip the plastic bumper, i used a small alloy plate....

2010-09-12152945.jpg

Making the rear shock tower part of the cage...

2010-09-12173353.jpg

2010-09-12173409.jpg

And thats where i got to today... The rear needs a little more support, but i stopped early as i was getting tired, and didnt want to mess up the job...

Here are some more pics

2010-09-12190421.jpg

2010-09-12190513.jpg

2010-09-12190607.jpg

2010-09-12190626.jpg

2010-09-12190658.jpg

I haven't got a picture yet, but i have put all my weight on it although its not finished. It does take a lot of force but with a lot of flex absorbing the impact.

Thanks Mainst for the inspiration.... You know you would have had my business if it were not due to my chassis... :wink:

Will keep you posted as to what it will look like when finished...

cheers guys!!! its not completed yet, more to come on the cage... the truck still needs work done... suspension is sitting way too low and camber isnt correct bla bla bla...

Josh every time i check this thread something awesome is going on lol. looking good mate. keep us posted on how it holds up.

Have you used the SPI wheels yet? I see the roll cage with just wheels and the tire look brand new. Send the rims my way and I will make use of it. :Mr.confused: :beer:

ha of course i have joe... i have put these tyres through a set of dirt claws and these are my second set of badlands... PSH come on bud, you have seen me use them already...

small update to the cage...
still not completed but it is very strong now whlist maintaining a lot of flex... I can now put all my body weight on it...

2010-09-14215808.jpg

2010-09-14215828.jpg

These are the rear supports. They are very strong but offer a lot of flex to a point

2010-09-14215913.jpg

The cage isnt finished yet... should be done in the next few days...

Cage Update...

I have spent enough time on the cage now and the final part didnt come out how i would have hoped for...

i thought the cage would have looked better.....

I bought some 2mm nylon sheeting and this stuff is very strong, flexible stuff!!!

i'll let the pics do the talking....

2010-09-18161605.jpg

2010-09-18161539.jpg

2010-09-18161659.jpg

as you can see the cage does not look great at all!!! and it just obscures my ease of accessing the internals of the truck...

so i thought i would remove the large centre cover part, and leave the front shock tower cover on to protect and offer some form of aerodynamic down force at high speeds (if it works)....

2010-09-18163902.jpg

2010-09-18163914.jpg

2010-09-18163924-1.jpg

I would prefer to run the cage as is but the front shock tower support should offer some form of protection...

Plus i spent quite a bit of time on it, and so i don't want to remove all my wasted work....

I am going to make some rear A arm deflector things out of the nylon, should be robust and protect the rear a little...

josh , don't know if i missed this already being asked, but how come external battery boxes on a dessert boy?

I'm thinkin of grabbing a set of the batt box mounts gcm makes.

frddy, I'm making this my speed machine... I'm makinig a second basher.

So the LiPo boxes have been installed, readily waiting the new MMMHV and 9s setup for big speed runs... Thats why i got the GH Bulks for handling the power and removed the gearbox as that definitely wouldnt last long

yeap... i was thinking of getting some more hyperions, but after i have seen how bad their soldering is on my current packs, i thought i would try out 3x 3s 5000mah 45c/90c nano tech packs from hobby king.... People seem to like the punch they offer...

worth a try... also the extra weight of the packs in the LiPo boxes up front should keep the wheelies down too

Members online

Back