What did you do to your HPI Savage today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let the fun begin: Disassemble the x4.6 that I just got from eBay and cleaning/inspecting everything. Started some initial reasembly on the XL TVPs that came with the truck.
image.jpeg
Holy packed with grease batman...
image.jpeg
Reassembly begins
image.jpeg

I believe you're right, the machined set is standard on the Flux HP. You can make them last longer by shimming them, though.

I did buy the machined set, but from my research, that is what my Flux came with??? At least the part number in the parts breakdown matched the 'bulletproof' version.
Ya I think 'bulletproof' refers to the 29/9 tooth count. They come in both machined and sintered gear sets. Opposed to the old 'non-bulletproof' 43/13 tooth gear sets on older model trucks.

Right on, I was unaware that any models came with machined gears. Just wanted to make sure he didn't get the sintered.

Right on, I was unaware that any models came with machined gears. Just wanted to make sure he didn't get the sintered.
No, I sure didn't get the sintered ones. Judging by this site, they are 'junk'

And I order 2 shim kits, (2 different sizes) 'savagejunky' on youtube is very helpful to me!

Bought a new motor to throw in the 25. 85 shipped for a 7.7.

Attachments

• received_10102855800729425.jpeg
    received_10102855800729425.jpeg
    81.2 KB · Views: 2
  • received_10102855800734415.jpeg
    received_10102855800734415.jpeg
    76.3 KB · Views: 2
  • received_10102855801288305.jpeg
    received_10102855801288305.jpeg
    28.6 KB · Views: 2
  • received_10102855801492895.jpeg
    received_10102855801492895.jpeg
    31.1 KB · Views: 2
How will you make it fit? iirc it needs some modifications for it to fit in a Savage.

And did you order some extra axles and diffgears? :) :) :) :)

I'm not sure if it will fit or not. I figured $85 was worth the gamble. If not I'll see if it will fit in my Cen Matrix Arena TR and throw the Collari. 30 in the Savage.

I've got bulletproof diffs and super heavy duty dogbones and cups in my cart in Ebay, just haven't ordered them yet. They will go in before I run this motor though.

Those look beastly @Caretaker109 Do they ship to the States though? Found some on Ebay, but they don't look the same.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160821-130745.png
    Screenshot_20160821-130745.png
    234.2 KB · Views: 1
Today I finished assembling the X SS after replacing cracked engine mount plate, rear center dogbone and drive cups, brake pads, diff gearing change to 29/9 bullet proof, diff carrier bearings, clutch shoes and springs and bearings. I also swapped out LRP .30 in favor of the K 4.6 with a 15T clutch bell. I put 10k/7K in front/rear diffs. Truck runs and handles better now than it ever has. :D!

Finally painted the new body after letting sit for months. Also put some proline paddle tires on the beast. Love the way it looks now. Can't wait to try the paddles out in the sand. Just waiting for a large motor saver filter and pre filter.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    154.2 KB · Views: 1
Well, I'm new here. Hi everyone. I just put together a new Savage X SS kit and my engine so far will not start, and there is air and fuel coming out of the top of the engine where the glow plug is. I initially thought oh it must just be loose, so I took it out (yes it has the washer), put it back in tight, and same thing, air and fuel bubbling up around the glow plug. I flooded the engine while trying to start it of course so it became very obvious. Also can hear air sucking in from someplace other than the carb. I've never had this problem with a brand new nitro engine, and now I'm reading that you're expected to seal these engines with RTV and stuff. I've never heard of this as a rule with nitro. Most of my nitro experience comes from RC airplanes and I've never seen a new engine leaking from the glow plug. Should I try to return this?

I would try another plug and if it still leaks return it. I have not sealed any of my 8 engines and they work fine.
Thanks for the reply. I emailed them Friday and have yet to hear a reply. Not a good feeling so far, in addition to finding multiple web sites and email address for HPI that are old and bounce emails back undeliverable.

Do you have a new copper washer for the glow plug? Perhaps the one you are currently using is not sealing? I suppose it is also possible that the heatsink is warped, causing it to not seal. Though I find that harder to believe. Does the glow plug tighten correctly? No slop in the threads?

Do you have a new copper washer for the glow plug? Perhaps the one you are currently using is not sealing? I suppose it is also possible that the heatsink is warped, causing it to not seal. Though I find that harder to believe. Does the glow plug tighten correctly? No slop in the threads?

Yep it has the washer. It feels completely seated when I'm screwing it in.

I guess I can do that but I don't have any other glow plugs of this type, mine are all for airplane engines, plus shouldn't a brand new glow plug from the factory already be "known good"? I know it glows, the engine has attempted to start a few times just won't actually start

It is either a bad/damaged plug or a bad/damaged button. Please confirm that you are not using a Turbo plug in a non-Turbo plug engine. The threading is not compatible.

Are you sure the cooling head is tightened down? This does not sound like your problem, but you may as well check.

Well I got it started tonight! I made my fuel line to the carb shorter, it was longer than it needed to be. I didn't overprime it this time, though I did start to see bubbles in the fuel line. Then my buddy managed to tighten down the glow plug about a 1/4 turn with a torque wrench and I stopped seeing the bubbles and hearing suction around the head so I guess it just wasn't tight enough. Ran about 1/3 of a tank, then another 2/3 while trying to keep it at approx 1/4 throttle the whole time with my finger. Got some fumes in my lungs. Good times. Also realized its much easier to prime by blowing down the muffler pressure tube than cranking it while covering the muffler.

Post 420!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back