frddyj's brushless build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sweet truck freddyj.man once I started this thread I just read straight threw lol..could only imagine these guys waiting weeks at a time lol...thanks for posting bud was really nice..I'm def gonna get the th bulks but seems they sure went up in price..my flux xl is all stock for now just bash proofed it as much as I could..when I start upgrading I will post a thread and oils..thanks again and 10stars

Sweet truck freddyj.man once I started this thread I just read straight threw lol..could only imagine these guys waiting weeks at a time lol...thanks for posting bud was really nice..I'm def gonna get the th bulks but seems they sure went up in price..my flux xl is all stock for now just bash proofed it as much as I could..when I start upgrading I will post a thread and oils..thanks again and 10stars

thanks for the kind words rk. just remember a couple of things:

when i i built this truck, i already had another savage so i was very patient and bought each piece when i could and when a deal presented itself. My buddie Allan sold me the GH bulks at an extremely cheap price so i didnt pay retail.

if i had bought the flux like you did, i prob would have just kept the stock bulks & i would have only purchased upgrades where needed. the savage in stock form is a pretty tough truck. my advice? you spent a lot of coin between the truck, lipos and charger, run the truck and when a piece fails, purchase an upgrade.

looking forward to seeing your truck thread my friend :peace:

i would listen to frddy... otherwise the minute you start YOU CAN NOT STOP!

pics of droop for jeff.

droop2.jpg
droop1.jpg

few guys were asking how i mounted the esc behing the motor on my ext tvps.

simply bolted a spare piece of carbon fiber to 2 chassis braces and then to the motor plate. had to enlarge the groove in the plate for the pinion cup.
DSC_1203.jpg

DSC_1204.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the tranny rebuild

Boca Bearings and lightweight/machined HD tranny gears

part #'s
HPI86275 hpi light weight idler gear 29T
HPI86274 hpi light weight drive gear 32T
HPI102514 hpi HD drive gear 18-23 tooth

i have the 39t but didnt add it because it is equivalent to increasing your pinion by 9 teeth O.O. At some point i will gear down my pinion/spur and add the 39t because it is a machined gear.

DSC_1205.jpg

DSC_1207.jpg

DSC_1208.jpg

DSC_1209.jpg

anyway,

i got some rsc upper braces on the way, got the upper a-arms all built for that, got my b.p. diffs built, sway bars on stand-by, received my flux composite bulkheads, alza-racing bulk-braces on the way, ofna conical washers on the way, shims on the way and i'll get the rest of the boca bearings installed and these diffs swapped over onto my prc c/f bulk pics.

stand by for more pics as we progress.

ps. I'm on the hunt for alloy battery box mounts and want to trade my GH Alloy Bulks if anyone is interested please lmk.

So i decided to dump the 44t idler and put in the machined 39t. Yes, I'm aware that doing this is equivalent to increasing your pinion by 9 teeth so i also ordered a 45t & a 15 & 16t.

Here are the differences between the stock and the HD - hopefully it will be the last set that my flux eats:

DSC_1213.jpg

DSC_1212.jpg

DSC_1210.jpg

DSC_1214.jpg

DSC_1215.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
boca

looks good fred the bocas rock I'm amazed at how smooth they are.got a email the other day they have come out with a new type of bearing,not sure on the prices yet?

looks good fred the bocas rock I'm amazed at how smooth they are.got a email the other day they have come out with a new type of bearing,not sure on the prices yet?

thanks for the kind words d.d.

i'll have to hit up their site and check it out. are the new bearings maintenance free like these?

More top notch upgrades! Quit it frddy, your making me jealous, lol. I'm gonna end up copying and spending more money.

I guess i shoulda said, copying again, lol.
Btw, how much the full set of bocas cost?

great idea frddy! it was about time to Bulletproof the tranny a little more...

I believe these bocas are most likely worth the money... but i just cant come to dropping that sort of coin on some bearings!

fred angular contact full ceramic bearings not sure why they sent me an email just checked them out to big for rc an the price is lol.

small update:

just shimmed the slop outta the lower shaft with kyosho 8x10mm then used the shims that came with the idler to shim the gear pack to the lower gear. smoothest tranny ive ever turned!

Also changing the spur from 44 to 45 & hope to finish shimming the spiders in my diffs and setting up in the new bulks.

stand by for more pics.

WoW Frddy, this thing is sick, lol looks like I will be putin an order in with Jason and looking for some flux parts now LMAO not even done the racer yet and I'm gonna start another one. Great work and thanx for the tip on sealing the edges.

Update:- Built the bullet-proof diffs with hellfire cups from nova racing (which ive had over a year) boca bearings, composite bulkheads from the flux, alza-racing bulkhead braces, hpi sway bars, RSC Upper cross-brace and upper arms and Platinum R/C Bulk Head mounting plate.

As usual, no grease on the dog bones, diff cups or axle's (just a little 'dry ice' teflon lube) and a little tri-flow red grease on the outside of the diffs. I also use 50,000k diff fluid.

Note on the PRC plates: I was wondering about losing 'kick up' where the c/f plates are flat, but they are thinner c/f than the tvps & flex pretty well so I'm thinking this will not be an issue.

DSC_1246.jpg

DSC_1245.jpg

DSC_1243.jpg

DSC_1242.jpg

DSC_1240.jpg

DSC_1239.jpg

DSC_1238.jpg

DSC_1237.jpg

DSC_1236-2.jpg

a benefit of the sway bars worth pointing out is that it comes with covers that prevent the upper pins from coming out

DSC_1249-1.jpg

DSC_1248.jpg

Lookin nice. Real nice. The alza braces look beefy and top notch. The nova cups look alot more durable than the cast stockers also. Just wondering your thoughts on the adustable upper arms. Ive seen them fail a couple of times, and that has kept me from installing them. Anticipating your thoughts on the new gearing. Plus rep (like you need it, lol) for detailed pics and part #'s, and a sick flux!!!!

thanks jeff. ive never used anything but adj uppers and haven't had one fail yet. I'm sure it easily could.

only thing on the fronts is the integy's are different from the hpi rsc so imma have to mod a set of ss uppers to get them to work. the rsc ones are too short.

Latest posts

Members online

Back