Will this clutch fit my savage XL?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Savagebeast93

I have just got a LRP .30 engine to drop into my savage XL. I am looking at clutch and fly wheels to go with it. Does any one know if this clutch set will fit the LRP and have space inside the savage to meet with the spur properly? REDS QUATTRO 32mm V2 1/8 4-Shoe ADJUSTABLE CLUTCH SET (see link) https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/153456295136?chn=ps

It seems like a great clutch, I'm just unsure of whether it would fit?

Don't know, but have you tried 3 shoe aluminum clutches (not soft shoes like integy) with a hardened/heavy duty clutch bell?

Last edited:
I currently have a 3 piece set with hardened clutch bell and heavy duty spur gear. I don’t think the tetra clutch will fit anyway unless I can find some adjustable engine mounts. Thing is with nitro and most rc is that you never know what’s going to fit until you actually buy it! By which time it could turn out to be a complete waste of money!

I currently have a 3 piece set with hardened clutch bell and heavy duty spur gear. I don’t think the tetra clutch will fit anyway unless I can find some adjustable engine mounts. Thing is with nitro and most rc is that you never know what’s going to fit until you actually buy it! By which time it could turn out to be a complete waste of money!
If the 4 shoe setup has smaller shoes that accept that same size clutch bells I'd imagine it would work.

Yeah I get what you’re saying and I thought that too but take a look at the clutch

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index....MIsMX2l-aJ4gIVL7HtCh3BFQS2EAQYASABEgLWaPD_BwE

It’s got extra material on the end, the clutch bell that’s specially made for it is the same diameter as any other bell but it is longer in order to cover the shoes fully once installed. The problem is that there isn’t really much clearance between the spur gear and the outer front casing of the clutch bell as it is at the moment. That extra material on the tetra reds clutch will only push the bell closer to the spur gear making it either rub on the spur or not fit at all. Only thing I can think of is getting some adjustable mounts in order to pull the engine back a few mm. I really want the clutch. Do you know of any good adjustable mounts that will fit the XL? Or if there is any other way of making this fit?!

On my novarossi .28 I have plenty of space, meaning a few mm, between the face of the clutch bell housing to the spur gear using a stock engine mount. I have the clutch bell shimmed properly, but it also pushes it out a tad towards the front of the truck. Maybe the spur you're using sits closer to the engine but I'd imagine I could run that clutch on my setup if diameter isn't an issue, I would just need to shim it differently as well to bring the clutch bell closer to the flywheel. You can see the gap after my flywheel and the gap between my spur and transmission housing for reference. If you do get an adjustable mount i would stay away from integy. I have an older version integy mount with my old broken axial motor, but it was too narrow to fit the .28 to be able to mount.

20190428_115407.jpg

Thanks for advice. I’m going to order it anyway and see how it goes. The supplier has said they’ll refund me in the case that it doesn’t fit anyway. The gap in yours is about the same as my own however I don’t think I have my bell shimmed that far out from the flywheel.in any case I’ll see how it goes, thanks a lot!

Latest posts

Members online

Back