What did you do to your HPI Savage today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, one of those on a piece of fuel tubing that flops around in the tank. I tried a buggy tank that had one of those, didn't work out well, but more because of the shape/size of the tank and how it fit on the rig than the clunk itself.

Good to see everyone breaking out their old Savi's! So does the tube to the bottom of the tank seem like it really helps? I researched it back 10 years ago, and there was a reason I didn't go with it but I don't remember why. I ended up mounting an Ofna tank off the side. But if that tube in the tank works, I would maybe switch back to stock for the extra run time.

Attachments

• 20180211_111318.jpg
    20180211_111318.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 2
Not sure yet as this is my savage that I'm building I have made it to the testing phase yet. I hope it works ok as savage fuel tanks a rare to find most times.

Today I painted a new body that i discovered wont fit without major cutting :) rebuilt all 8 shocks and did and continued a general cleaning. next i need to reinstall the engine ..

There seems to be a real renewed interest in the Nitro savage recently. I started cleaning mine up about 2 weeks ago after letting it sit for I'm guessing 5+ years. I Lost interest when i converted to the XL frame and could never get the throttle linkage correct and threw it on a shelf and switched to my flux and a few other plug and play electric cars. Since i have decided to refresh it my biggest issue has been getting parts.

parts in general are hard to find... hopefully that's going to change soon
Yep. Even some of the aftermarket parts prices are going up. I just paid $55 shipped on amazon for a set of rear integy HD axle carriers for my flux. Pretty sure I didn't pay that much for my last set on my X.

Also noticed that if you find a flux xp motor, the price seems a bit ridiculous, $180-$240 just for the motor. Why would you bother? Can get the mamba monster X with motor for $250.

I am really feeling the flat black and the halo headlights, cool man.

Here is what piston sleeve looks like after 2 weeks of trying to get it out, tried Hot and Cold. Giant zip tie sheared off like made of wet paper. will put some anti-seize on new sleeve.

Attachments

• 20180330_104931[1].jpg
    20180330_104931[1].jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 1
Well, I snapped a wheel axle off on a bad landing yesterday. Costing me $50+ to get 2 of them... I spent $25 on all 4 of them last August or September. I should have shopped more as I ended up finding them for $20+ less in stock on Large Scale RC. Not sure what they charge for shipping, but guessing less than the extra $20+ I spent at active powersports.

Pretty sure I also installed a new motor/esc since my last post. Got the Castle MMX/2200kv sensored system in it. Has a lot more grunt than the blur system it replaced. Had to dial down the punch 70% (I think that's how castle shows 30%). The higher the number the more limited it is. Even with that, if I pin it doing any speed less than 3/4 throttle, it ends up on it's roof. I thought the old system was twitchy!
2018-0311-SavageFlux-MambaMonsterX-MotorESCInTruck03.jpg

I've added an additional ziptie to the esc since this photo. I took a hard nose landing once and the esc moved forward about 3/4". Now I have a ziptie on it in both directions.

Ended up using an integy motor mount that I ground down with my dremel so it would fit on the finned part of the motor. Using a stock ring for the front:
2018-0311-SavageFlux-MambaMonsterX-MotorInTruck01.jpg

Had to bend the motor tabs so they didn't make contact with the mounting ring. That was 115% of cringing the entire time I was bending them.
2018-0311-SavageFlux-MambaMonsterX-MotorClearance.jpg

You can see the axle snap at the 16 second mark:

Also, for those that don't know, sensored motors when using the sensor cable, the order of the main power wires is very relevant. I had them mixed up and the motor would just vibrate angrily. Then I noticed the big ABC letters on the back of the motor... Took way longer than I'd like to admit to figure that out.

We have this as a sticky on my S-10 forum...Jus thought it would be cool to have a thread here and see where it goes since we are constantly makin mods,bashing and racing daily.

Today I:
Installed Venom fail-safe
Batt level indicator
New shock oil
Fuel filter
RPM wheels
Today I joined this forum. I have spent the last 5 days piecing together 2 Savage 4.6 trucks out of 3 boxes. They are old, but with a little patience they are now back to life! My boys are ecstatic! They have slash 2wd trucks and have never smelled the fumes of a gas truck! We are hooked!

Today I joined this forum. I have spent the last 5 days piecing together 2 Savage 4.6 trucks out of 3 boxes. They are old, but with a little patience they are now back to life! My boys are ecstatic! They have slash 2wd trucks and have never smelled the fumes of a gas truck! We are hooked!

Welcome , and if I may , As soon as the boys smelled that NITRO was there first step into manhood , Keep up the good parenting.

ELWOOD

I hacked up some awful 30mm extension 17mm adapters that came with my savage to make it so I didn't need to replace the super HD axle stub I broke the threads off last week. These extensions came on the truck when I got it used and it had short non-xl width axles on it. They were a sloppy fit and the previous owner drilled out the axle pin holes so they would mount and went too large which made them even worse. I never ran them. So, while I figured out where to get replacement axles from, I took a hack saw to them, drilled new pin holes and mounted them up.

2018-0402-SavageFlux-Hubs-CutUncut.jpg

2018-0402-SavageFlux-Hubs-OnTruckEnd.jpg

2018-0402-SavageFlux-Hubs-OnTruckTop.jpg

The wheel nuts that came with them were capped, with the axles that have threads still, they were too long and ran into the nut, so I drilled the centers out. I also lost one in the shuffle and these don't use standard thread 1/8th nuts... of course. However, had some old wheel nuts I bought 10+ years ago because they were 17mm nylock, only to find out they didn't fit ofna hubs, wrong thread. Luckily, I don't throw things away and they have the same threads as these hubs.
2018-0402-SavageFlux-Hubs-Wheelnut-Drilled.jpg

My first order of SHD XL axles ended up getting canceled because even though their site said they had them, they were out of stock and they let me cancel my order. I then got a set for largescalerc.com for $15 cheaper, so I kind of lucked out twice. I'll run these modified hubs and see how they do. They seem very solid now that most of the hub is on the shaft vs just hanging off the end like they were made to do, so perhaps I won't have to fight with snapping the HPI wheel nuts off again in the future.

Did some tinkering with my Savvy’s Truggy Dampers:

Upgrade to a 5-hole brass piston:

E7F9E61A-980E-42AF-813A-B0BEF1956E8C.jpeg

Used M2C Zero Rebound Shock (ZRS) caps. Uses an emulsion-style as opposed to the bladder style shock system:

369CA388-5C61-443A-91ED-1A9D6C912FEC.jpeg 6762157C-D5F3-47CB-875C-D45E30F2574B.jpeg

Used Tekno ET48.3 Springs

6E6282A0-F5CA-486E-904B-D2DA81933470.jpeg

Plastic versus Brass

912AD32F-144C-4DD5-93E5-AE155821C4EC.jpeg

Thanks!

Bought another one ..... that’s 3 now .... think this one has a reverse on it too ....

£62.09 .... Savage 25 .... sweet !

Well while getting close to the final tune on my NEW F4.6-V2 the M3 cap head screw backed out and let the Clutch bell walk. Surprisingly Spur gear didn't suffer any damage.Used blue LT, - have had back out before using red LT now. Man that 4.6-V2 is a BEAST.20180422_144109.jpg 20180422_144148.jpg

Is that a Robinson hard bell??? never seen one that chewed up in a long time.....

Is that a Robinson hard bell??? never seen one that chewed up in a long time.....
No It's an HPI part, The Spur gear is also HPI , one of those with the Aluminum center and a Steel ring gear , have had for years, got tired of Eating plastic Spurs.

So I picked the beast up today, she has sat unused in a shed for 8 yrs .... I put a bit of WD40 in the bore and spun her over a few times then plug in fuel in, replaced a switch, added a battery hump pack and booooom she’s an absolute flier !!

Well happy for £62.10 (I have them the extra 1p cos I’m nice like that) lol

Did some work for a buddy of mine he gave me his Savage 25 that's been sitting for about the same amount of time. I'll take the engine apart check for rust and upgrade the RX to git it up and running. Has reverse too . Added a second pic, looks like its on a mirror .

Attachments

• 1524503942303791911048.jpg
    1524503942303791911048.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 0
  • 20180423_144953[1].jpg
    20180423_144953[1].jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Did some work for a buddy of mine he gave me his Savage 25 SS that's been sitting for about the same amount of time. I'll take the engine apart check for rust and upgrade the RX to git it up and running. Has reverse too
The one I just got is that colour too, didn’t get a box though

Also came with what I am only describe as a van body too (which I’m unsure about)

Is it like a Monster Ice-cream Truck or a Hippy Van ??

With Skulls instead of Clown Faces , Like I saw out At GLAMAS DUNES at Halloween.

No It's an HPI part, The Spur gear is also HPI , one of those with the Aluminum center and a Steel ring gear , have had for years, got tired of Eating plastic Spurs.
HPI has standard bells and HD bells. The HD bells are hardened to use with steel spurs. Wouldn't be surprised it wouldn't have died even if your screw didn't fall out.

All I did to my flux was fix it after wrecking it. Landed from about a 6 foot jump in soft dirt and instead of glancing off the ground and continuing on, it dug in like a lawn dart and nearly ripped the left arm off the truck.
2018-0422-SavageFlux-Damage03.jpg

Replaced the diff case/bulkhead with a spare one I had as well as both lower hinge pin braces as the rear was bent a lot as well. While looking at it, I noticed the diff bearings seemed a bit wobbley, so I took that apart, replaced both bearings (and pinion bearings to be safe), threw some 50k back in and got it back together.

New X skids just showed up, so will replace my front skid/bumper as it's busted in half as well.

Olds YOU are the Crash Master, I have never seen so much damage except Car V.S. Semi.

Today I Cleaned the Chassis on the Savage 25 , Put the 21 and the 25 engines back together sealing everything Inc. the accordion seal on the Carb slide and the Header to Pipe coupling and the Gearbox / Bulkhead at both ends.

Took out the CLEAN 25 on Sunday ran great for about 1/2 tank then I herd what sounded like a melted Spur gear and no forward movement. After closer inspection the INFAMOUS HPI Reverse had jumped into neutral without being activated. Took off left side TVP and pulled trans and disassembled , Found grease in reverse gearbox was like Candle wax , cleaned and replace with synthetic grease and re-assembled , Also added Ballpoint Pen clicker springs to the Disc Brakes to keep from dragging ( Trick done on BAJA also ) after taking about a 1/16th off of brake Puc , put 25 Back together. working fine now.
NEW PICS OF BRAKE SPRINGS

Attachments

• CARB.jpg
    CARB.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 2
  • PIPE.jpg
    PIPE.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 2
  • GEAR BOX BULKHEAD-1.jpg
    GEAR BOX BULKHEAD-1.jpg
    396 KB · Views: 3
  • GEAR BOX BULKHEAD-2.jpg