What did you do to your HPI Savage today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So today see as the weather has been crap & that I'm a sad old git & this issue has been bugging me since I put these truck together, I decided to change the TVPs over on my 2 Truckzillas. The reason for doing this was that although both trucks are Hotbodies Truckzilas they have different TVPs. I think one is a Truckzilla Sport. the silver ones (this being the sport) are higher at the rear and wouldn't allow for the rear exit manifold to fit correctly, the manifold had to face up making the pipe sit to high. These trucks originally had a 4.6 cu in(7.5cc) mill which had side exit exhausts. The Gold TVPs are lower at the rear but was running these with a rear twin pipe. Also had to notch out the chassis on the silver set to allow the mill to fit nice, think this is because the spur gear is a 52T which pushes the mount all the way over to the right.
Anyway both trucks are now back together and must say now happy with both of them.

Truckzilla 1:-Before see the manifold was sitting on the chassis.View attachment 9985
View attachment 9980
After the manifold sits lower and does not sit on the chassis
View attachment 9986
View attachment 9981
View attachment 9979
Truckzilla 2:- before
View attachment 9987
View attachment 9982
Truckzilla 2:-After
View attachment 9988
View attachment 9984
Have just worked out why the TVPs on the Truckzillas are different. The silver ones come with the complete truckzilla kit which included the .46cu in(7.5cc) mill where as the gold ones are from the truckzilla sport which kept the original savage 25 rear exit exhaust motor. The sport TVPs are only 2.5mm thick as opposed to the silver ones being 3mm.

Looking good as ever mate, wasn’t aware of gold version! 👍🏻
Cheer bud, the gold chassis is painted mate, it's cause of the different styles I switched them over. The gold ones are the sport type designed to be used with a rear exit exhaust port mill where as the silver ones are meant to be used with a side exit exhaust ported mill originally designed for the Hotbodies .46 mill. The gold set allow the exhaust manifold on the K4.6 I'm running to sit correct, on the silver ones it don't matter as the K5.9 I'm running on that truck has the twin rear pipe.

I haven't used my Savage X in around 12-13 years, but here are parts I have ordered and will be installing once they arrive:
-HPI Super HD Dogbones
-HPI Super HD Diff Shaft
-HPI Extended Axles
-HPI Machined 29t Diffs
-HPI Machined 9t Bevel Gears
-HPI Fiberglass brakes (currently have metal)
-Robinson Racing 47t Gen3 Steel Spur
-Robinson Racing 17t Hardened Clutch Bell
-HPI Ceramic Slipper Pads
-HPI Sway Bar Set (found this at my only local hobby store after going through every parts bin they had)

I'm still waiting for my new Futaba radio to come in, but I'll be re-using my old Hitec servos until those go bad. Also waiting for LRP to restock their .32 Spec 4 with pull start. The only part I cannot find is the high speed 3rd gear set PN 77065, even tried looking for Savage XL 5.9 transmissions that someone might be parting out but no luck. And I have other small things coming in like o-rings and shims for the diffs. I still need to remove my broken S25 motor to see if I ever upgraded to a 3 shoe flywheel, if not I'll be ordering one of those as well. Pictures will come soon with a before and after installation. Can't wait!
https://www.fastlanemachine.net/proddetail.php?prod=FLM44300

Latest posts

Members online

Back