Top 10 Recommended Savage Upgrades

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crash

Alright guys lets compile the top ten must have upgrades to make to your stock HPI Savage for the benefit of newbies.

Overall top suggestions:
  1. Hump pack (Venom 1504)
  2. Fail safe (Venom)
  3. High torque steering servo (Hitec 7955tg)
  4. Hitec HS-645MG throttle/break servo (perfect for the below upgrade)
  5. Ofna linkage setup
  6. Fuel filter (Dynamite Big Daddy)
  7. Tuned pipe
  8. Steering bearings (link)
  9. Mid tank mod
  10. Wheelie bar (HPI)

SOME STOCK SAVYS ALREADY HAVE SOME OF THESE UPGRADES, CHECK YOUR OWNERS MANUAL BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY OF THESE MODS.

1.) Hump pack (convience, seems to operate servos better than aa's)
2.) Fail-safe (because when you loose range you cant run that fast)
3.) High torque steering (stock servo is ok, stronger one is much better)
4.) OFNA Linkage (stock lingage is ok, this is alot better and cheap)
5.) Aluminum diff cups (plastic cups are not as durable)
6.) shimm diffs after 1 gallon (all diffs need to be shimmed)
7.) heavy duty dogbones to the diffs (stock ones will snap)
8.) heavy duty drive cups on transmission and diff inputs (stock ones will show signs of wear quick)
9.) fuel filter (clean fuel)
10.) extra savage (to drive when your waiting on parts)

In no particular order...
1.) Hump pack
2.) Fail-safe
3.) High torque steering and throttle servos (throttle is just as important)
4.) OFNA Linkage
5.) Aluminum diff cups
6.) LST/IRC shock conversion (haven't done this yet but it is on of the best shock setups out there)
7.) Nova 3 Shoe Aluminum Clutch
8.) SlapMaFro Bearing Kit (the bearings are made by AvidRC)
9.) SlapMaFro High Quality Screw Kit (I bought the SMF one but any high quality kit that uses hex screws is good)
10.) LCG Chassis (In my case the Twisted Toys TVPs)

Lifters top ten upgrades for 4.6 RTR racing savage
1.) hump pack
2.) HPI dirt bonz tires
3.) HPI adjustable aluminum clutches
4.) Steering upgrade bearing kit
5.) HPI hardened CB and spur combo
6.) HPI titanium turnbuckles
7.) midtank and throttle servo conversion
8.) spektrum radio and reciever
9.) Rock Concepts TVP's and engine plate
10.) HPI racing suspension kit

My top ten would be!
1.) Hump pack (More power to servos and rechargable)
2.) HT Steering servo & move SF-2 to Throttle/Brake (Better steering response and holds path better, also more servo power to throttle/brake)
3.) Ofna Throttle linkage (Easier/More adjustments, better control)
4.) Mid-tank mod (Solves leaning issues and holds a tune better threw tank)
5.) 3 speed (10% more low end, 10% more speed, and you can go threw the power band 3 times instead of 2)
6.) Alum Shoes (Clutch Grip also helps keep Clutch cool because less slip)
7.) Pipe (Once again More power you can never have enought)
8.) Steering bearings (Better steering response and accuracy)
9.) Vented CB (More Grip because CB's colder)
10.) Vented Flywheel (Helps with #9)
11.) LST Shocks (Much better dampening, better ride controle and ride hight adjustments)
12.) Ext LCG Chassis (More control, helps keep the wheels on the ground from all that power)
13.) Skid Plate (Protects Brakes and Transmission)
14.) Cross Braces (Support to the chassis)

Allright so I went past 10. This is all assuming you already have the X chassis with alloy cups.

My list would probably go something like this (modified from larsenracing's)

1.) Hump pack and switch with charge lead for sav x battery box
2.) HT Steering servo & move SF-2 to Throttle/Brake
3.) Ofna Throttle linkage
4.) Steering bearings
5.) Exhaust deflector
6.) FLM Cross Braces
7.) Mid tank
Those would be in my top ten for sure.
I added an exhaust deflector too, even though I know some people don't like them. These would be my next choices (maybe not in this order) unless people can think of other ones.
Alum Shoes
Vented CB
Skid Plate

1.) hump pack (and switch with charge lead)
2.) linkage mod
3.) fuel filter
4.) new pipe...be it hpi polished,hpi ribbed (i went from the polished to the ribbed),or an aftermarket one (just get rid of that plastic thing)
5.) high torque steering servo( i use a hi-tec 645mg..economical and reliable)
6.) failsafe (that way you don't have to depend on that pile of wood or a light pole to stop your truck from going over a 200ft cliff when a neighbor turns on their 20 yr old cordless phone)
7.) wheelie bar....hpi or other (i use dual hpi bars)
8.) reverse come in handy when the truck is caught up 300ft away and simply backing up a few inches save you the walk (ya I'm lazy)
9.) safety stop (hpi came up with a great way to shut down the engine here)
10.) .......... I'm thinkin this should have been #1 but......... one cannot forget
a set of rpm "dirty danglers" (i chose saddlesore pink,but on days that i brak my truck i think i should have gotten DNF blue

Are we talking about the "SAVAGE X" or "XSS" or the 21/25?
My "Top Ten" if you are starting with a 21/25:

1.) Hump Pack & a switch with a charging pigtail.
2.) Fuel Filter.
3.) 4 Spider Gear conversion for diffs. Shim the diffs. Use alloy cups.
4.) Hardened outputs for transmission & diffs.
5.) Wheelie Bar.
6.) HPI twin disc fiberglass brake kit.
7.) Throttle mod.
8.) Steering Bearings - ditch those plastic bushings. Isn't the X & XSS steering different from the 21/25 system? Upgrade to the X steering & use bearings.
9.) LST Shocks.
10.) Extended Wheelbase LCG TVP's.
11.) Alloy diff housings ... like the Fast Lane Machine versions.

So I went one over... :buttshake: Sue me :stickspank: LOL

thanx crash this list has been so helpfull i have many of the upgrades already on the car but it looks like there is still some more to do
the first things i did

1.) Hitec 645MG servo
2.) Fail safe
3.) Fuel Filter
4.) Hump pack
5.) Steering bearings
6.) Change from steel brakes to fiberglas

Last edited by a moderator:
Alloy tank! and tank mounts. Alloy Chassis braceing. X style rollcage or I think its RC Solutions style cage. NO stainless steel rollcage. they cause other problems imo. This is in addition to FX's good list.

thanks guys, If anyone has anymore post em up.

My intention is to compile a list of the most needed improvements to your stock savys.

I second that, shimming the diffs is a must! I learned the hard way. Hump pack would be my first choice for upgrades, right after a temp gun. Second would be the Ofna throttle mod. Third would be high torque servos. Other than getting the shock setup I'm happy with, that's all ive done. Next on the wish list is a better engine mount, I've had more problems with the stock ones than anything else.

Ill start us out easy.

a hump pack is a must have.

When I put a hump pack in my savy for first time, I was shoked at the power my servos had at full charge.

four AA batteries is not enough juice.

I second that. But, as a side note, the last time I was runnin my truck my hump pack went dead on me. So I had to use 4 AA's to be able to keep running. I used the Energizer E2 Lithium batteries, and they are just as good as a hump pack if not better. Each AA batt. has a 1.5 volt rating, so, times 4 equals 6.0 volts. But as far as me making a top ten list, everybody else has them all covered.

Thats my top ten for a person building a racing savage out of a stock savage. some people are racers and some are bashers.

Ill start us out easy.

a hump pack is a must have.

When I put a hump pack in my savy for first time, I was shoked at the power my servos had at full charge.

four AA batteries is not enough juice.

THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO POSTED ON MY THREAD

When this thread slows down I will post a comprehensive list in post #1 like Tim said,

My original intentions were to come up with a list that anyone could come to and get info with confidence of knowing the reasoning behind said upgrade.

otherwise it sounds like were just showing off our upgrades:bling:

ok, i've seen the ofna linkage mod, and seen it talked about a million times but I'm having a hard time figuring out which "kit" or part numbers i need to do the ofna mod on my savage x!! does anyone happen to have the part numbers handy so i can order everything i need to do it? and thanks in advance for any help i get!!!!

well i did my so called "ofna linkage mod" using a few dubro collars,a lenght of control rod (great hobbies.com, my lhs)a few springs(robbed from old ball point pens) and old servo horn i had around and few sliders i found in the bag of plastic bits that comes with an EK4......btw i did this mod to my brothers savage months before joining or browsing any forums....just saw a flaw in the factory setup and came up with what i thought waS my own solution to the problem.......and 2 months later i stumbled across this mod on here when i was doing a lil research to help decide weather to buy a savage or a revo.....well guess what i bought the savage x... then a month later the xss....and a few weeks after that i got a revo too lol...... and so the nitro addiction grows

btw I AM I NOY WAY TRYING TO TAKE ANY CREDIT FOR THIS TYPE OF MOD....JUST THOUHT IT WAS KINDA FUNNY THAT MY SOLUTION TURNED OUT TO BE A SOLUTION THAT WAS ALREADY QUITE POPULAR.....just with an actual kit..... not salvaged,pilfered,and improvised parts

ok, i've seen the ofna linkage mod, and seen it talked about a million times but I'm having a hard time figuring out which "kit" or part numbers i need to do the ofna mod on my savage x!! does anyone happen to have the part numbers handy so i can order everything i need to do it? and thanks in advance for any help i get!!!!
Here is what I used.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXARF2&P=7
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXNXL5&P=7
I also used Sonic Tronics #345 for the long servo horn.
This is how I did it. There's a nut on the outside slider because I lost the right one but have since got the replacement for it.
https://www.hpisavageforum.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=2077&cat=532
I improvised with an 18mt turnbuckle and ball studs cause they were handy.
https://www.hpisavageforum.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=2075&cat=532
Hope this helps, there are many different ways to do it.

FX is going to FREAK OUT this thread is a mess................lol

thanks to everyone who posted info. great insight from all as always.

I was thinking the same thing Crash! LOL

sorry in advance to fx!! i wont post off topic anymore!!! lol just saw the ofna mod on here again so i just needed the item numbers!!! sorry again!!! and sorry to u to crash.... my bad i guess!!!!! lol

Oh boy guys I leave for a few days and come back to a mess. Well I cleaned it up, deleted posts, and condensed the list. Everyone should take the time to post their top ten list, I'm not sticking it until we get more lists..

OK, i have a question for all you hardcore guys out there: what if you just want to run the truck? I don't plan on competing, i don't have a huge budget, and to be perfectly honest with you, i don't have the time to add all this stuff. While i admit some of these mods are cool, i don't really need to upgrade my rig to be happy. I mean, simple stuff like a body and wheels and tires and an exhaust are fine, but when you start getting to the point where you actually have to disassemble half the truck to put these crazy parts in, it becomes too much for me to handle. No offense, but sometimes leaving things the way the are is a good thing.

Thanks for all the advice you guys have given me, though.

-dunerdog94

thats is what this thread is all about. If you drive your savy on any consistant basis you will need all this info. only replace when you break. but, use the rite parts to upgrade thats all.

Maybe you can do without a hump pack. But I wouldnt, after paying fo AA'S batteries you will have bought several humps.

$5 fuel filter will save you 150 bucks for new motor if you get contaminated fuel.

dog bones will break unless your running a 21

If you don't want to address your diffs now, wait untill they go out and replace whatever breaks & shimm

I hope I don't sound coarse, I'm just being honest. three savys, 5 motors, 20 owb, 30 spurs I know how to break these things.

......sometimes leaving things the way the are is a good thing.

-dunerdog94

My harsh, yet heartfelt .02!

That would consist of leaving the truck as you received it; in the box. You would face no future problems.

Not all mods are a necessity, as a matter of fact, very few are necessary for the casual user. Most of the mods listed in this thread are to address known issues that can, and will occur with a savage given any reasonable amount of use. If a company was capable of building a perfect product, there would be no aftermarket vendors, nor OEM replacement parts!

For me, part of this hobby is the design, disassembly, repair and enhancement of my truck; but I diegress- to each their own!
SilentBobBang.gif

:cheers: I agree with you Dunerdog94. If it ain't broke don't fix it. By posting these lists, We are not saying this is what you HAVE TO DO. We are just letting others know what we would upgrade to make our Savages, In our eyes, Bulletproof, This is not a must do list, by any means. The Savage is an Incredibly tough, resiliant beast. But this is just a compilation of parts many of us think are needed upgrades to make our trucks more enjoyable by making them less Prone to issues, and problems that commonly occur while enjoying our trucks. Most of the parts that break on the trucks can simply be replaced with OEM stuff. the lists are just What we as Savage owners as a whole feel need to be upgraded for more enjoyment. Noone is saying do this, we are just suggesting what we would do. Welcome to HPISF by the way, We are here to help, And share our Knowledge with each other.

Definitely well said sami. You hit the nail on the head. The savage is probably

toughest truck out of the box made. It is pure diesel.

I am on a laptop in Ohio right now. I will update the thread when I return home.

Very well said Sami!

Thank you Moto and Lifter. I just didn't want him to get the impression these are NEEDED upgrades. May have been better said if I hadn't been so tired. I beleive I got my point across, just kinda rambled at it. Anyhow I think I got done what I was intending.

Very well said Sami!

Thank you Moto and Lifter. I just didn't want him to get the impression these are NEEDED upgrades. May have been better said if I hadn't been so tired. I believe I got my point across, just kinda rambled at it. Anyhow I think I got done what I was intending. Maybe FX can change header to "Top 10 suggested upgrades", when he stickies it or whatever he do's so well.lol

my top ten beginner mods

these are my top ten upgrades for a beginner like myself a "weekend basher" on my savage x.

1. hump pak and charger
2. hi-tec 645mg steering servo and replace the SF-1 with the SF-2
3. new radio switch so you easily charge your hump pak
4. steering bearing kit
5. fuel filter it's very cheap compared to a new motor.
6. new fuel line because the line that come with the truck can become loose
7. bottom skid plate to protect the truck from damage again a cheap part that will save you money in the long run
8. fuel tank guard i've cracked two tanks in a week
9. ofna throttle and brake linkage
10. exhaust deflector makes clean up easier

and all 10 of these items i purchased for under 125.00 and the difference now is like night and day.i hope this helps my fellow newbies out there.:jamout:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back