Top 10 Recommended Savage Upgrades

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a few I didnt see i felt were necessary.

1. Hex Head Screw Kit (eliminates stripping issues)
2. Wheely Bar (because after a gallon, you are going to wish you had it)
3. Shim the C-Hubs (gets rid of slop and unecessary wheel movement "fix credit goes to Blazer X")

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine was totally stock.. Here's the upgrades of importance that I've made..

RPM A-Arms
Steering Bearing mod
Hitech 645MG steering servo
Case hardened bolt, I use it for a grub screw :)

And last but certainly not least.. A THICK BODY. My Savage has torn up two bodies, and it isn't even on it's fourth gallon yet. LoL

Can't wait to get the TVP's, Midtank (It's in the mail), and tires/wheels

does anyone know the part numbers for the ofna linkage kit?

the one posted here is plastic, I was looking for an aluminum one (silver)

I've never seen one in alloy crash. The closet Ive seen to all metal links is the traxxas set up.
Just a lil known reference to think about is that the plastic links help to isolate the parts so you get no RFI. A servo that starts to go or is just noisy can use the links as a antenna and glitch out the radio system. It more prevalent in the AM/FM Low MHz radios. But thats just a thought to consider. I used all alloy in my basher rig from random parts off my old planes. Less the servo Horn. LMK if you want a pic. It works well and unlike my OFNA is never hung up on me! But Needs a Horn that I never got around to getting. Just my 2 cents. If I see any cool parts surfing today I ll link you up.

does anyone know the part numbers for the ofna linkage kit?

the one posted here is plastic, I was looking for an aluminum one (silver)

anyone know if they exist in aluminum?

Crash, Hobby Etc. is the only place that I've seen them made out of alum. Here's a link to the one I found but it is red. I've seen a silver one on there before, so I'll continue lookin for that one and I'll post it up if I can find it.

http://www.hobbyetc.com/cgi-bin/item.cgi?part_id=46809

My top ten would be in no particular order are:

1. Better steering servo (I am using the HS-5645MG)
2. RPM A-Arms
3. Hump pack
4. OFNA Linkage Kit
5. Bearing Steering Mod
6. FLM dogbones
7. Skid Plate
8. Fuel Filter
9. Fail Safe
10. 2.4GHz Radio

Hockeys Basher Survival Plan
1)hump pack, and rechargeable's for the controller.
2) HD dogbones
3)Steering servoan almost necessary upgrade.
4)Diff locker, best hop up of my life.
5) Roll cage, ideally one that will protect your engine and suspension.
6)40 series wheels and tires more grip, more wheel, better hubs.
7)"large" suspension conversion personally i love my LSTs even though they are considered more for a "racer" but they work great for me. Big Bores are a common option nowadays.
8)Tuned Pipethis one probably should of been higher but i don't want to change all the numbers lol. pipes allow for a bunch of different things, and can really wake up a boring engine sometimes. ideally you would want a pipe that increases low to mid-end for off road.
9)Screw Kit Hpi uses pretty decent screws on the savage, but a hex head, with a higher quality metal is a much better design.
10)nova head cooler temps, but there was a ton i could of put here. new engine, HPI RSC, i have the INtegy rear hubs and i love the upgrade, EXT LCG TVPs, Mid tank mod, ofna srvo mod.....but that is my not so carefully thought out list. enjoy.

i know its a tad late but it never hurts to throw in

Can anyone post a picture of the ofna throttle linkage, I've done a search and alot came up but not really sure which one it actually is. How do you shim a diff I just blew my front diff on the savage xl only about 10 tanks on the truck, One bearing is gone (blown) and the spline to the drive line is missing teeth:< any info would be great

here is the order I went with so far, and more to come in the future when funds free up.

my list so far of mods:

40series Axial Beadlock's w/ Pro-line Mashers
OFNA Micro Failsafe
1600mAh Hump Pack
RPM Skid Plate
HPI Wheelie Bar
3-SPD Transmission kit
OFNA Linkage

ALRIGHT GUYS LETS COMPILE THE TOP TEN MUST HAVE UPGRADES TO MAKE TO YOUR STOCK SAVY.......................:salute:

for the benifit of newbis please add a little what for with your upgrade.

Ok, here is my top 10 upgrades for flux:

1. 2.4Ghz Radio: Better control of your sav. (Using Futaba 3pm)
2. Platinum R/C Products Complete: TVPs, Motor Plate, Servo Plate, LCG Towers, skid plate, wing mount.
3. Alloy Bulk Heads: Either GH or FLM ( have both, but GH are on it a.t.m.)
4. HPI SHD: Dogbones, diff cups, axles.
5. HPI D8 Big bore shocks: These are truggy/buggy shocks & awesome shocks for price. Compliment LCG tower's nicely.
6. Steer Servo Upgrade: Trying out ACE DS 1015 on br's rec.
7. Battery Charger: Hyperion 615i Duo Net III
8. Small/powerful P.S.- Muchmore racing 16A
9. Quality Lipos: Such as SMC or Hyperion
10. HPI Bulletproof Diffs: I don't have em, but theyre recommended by HPI & will be stock in the Flux in the near future.

Ok, here is my top 10 upgrades for flux:

1. 2.4Ghz Radio: Better control of your sav. (Using Futaba 3pm)
2. Platinum R/C Products Complete: TVPs, Motor Plate, Servo Plate, LCG Towers, skid plate, wing mount.
3. Alloy Bulk Heads: Either GH or FLM ( have both, but GH are on it a.t.m.)
4. HPI SHD: Dogbones, diff cups, axles.
5. HPI D8 Big bore shocks: These are truggy/buggy shocks & awesome shocks for price. Compliment LCG tower's nicely.
6. Steer Servo Upgrade: Trying out ACE DS 1015 on br's rec.
7. Battery Charger: Hyperion 615i Duo Net III
8. Small/powerful P.S.- Muchmore racing 16A
9. Quality Lipos: Such as SMC or Hyperion
10. HPI Bulletproof Diffs: I don't have em, but theyre recommended by HPI & will be stock in the Flux in the near future.
i pity the foo who trys to keep up with one of freds builds.money man
but this is the definite TOP 10.

This is my top 10.

1. Futuba 4pk (Coming Soon)
  2. ERCM engine and pipe
  3. Full Carbon Fibre Chassis
  4. Mid Tank (Nitro Users)
  5. HPI RSC Upgrade
  6. Digital Servos for throttle and steering
  7. HPI Big Bore Shocks with hellfire shock mod
  8. CEN diffs mod or New HPI diffs
  9. Steering bearing upgrade and the heavy duty servo spring
  10. 1600mAh Hump Pack

I don't know much about savages compared to some people on here... But this is my top 10 upgrades in order from most to least important:

#1: Receiver pack (makes the stock servo actually work...)
#2: 2.4ghz radio (you can get DX2s online for under 100$)
#3: Steering bearings
#4: OFNA throttle mod
#5: Get a different fuel tank!
#6: New tires (stockers are way too big, and heavy)
#7: New servo (645mg is a great/cheap one...)
#8: Wheely bar
#9: Thick body (stocker is basically like having saran rap protecting you car)
#10: Extended TVP's

This is a great thread, thank you again for all the great info here...HPI should be paying you guys for customer support! :)
I have a question, I have pretty much done the majority of the top 10 upgrades on the top of the thread here.. My question is, what would you guys consider 11-20? or even 11-15? I have been looking at big bore shocks, aluminum carriers, upgraded engine bearings, digital radios/ receivers / servos, mid tank mods... the list is endless, my head is spinning and my wallet is hurting in anticipation. :crazy: lol.
I don't have a lot of money to throw around and I want to get the most bang for the buck, of course, so I am asking what should I be looking at for my next 5 or 10 upgrades? I'm not going to be doing anything but recreational bashing. Thanks!

1)Good Radio/ and fail safe it's not a 2.4Ghz
2)Hump Pack and Charger
3)Good Servo's/ steering bearings if you don't already have them
4)Temp Gun
5)Fuel Filter

Now you can run the truck :)

6)Ofna Linkage
7)HPI Adjsutable Upper Arms/ Lunsford Turnbuckles (stock end links)
8)Rear Hub Carrier
9)Bullet Proof Diffs
10)SHD Axles/Dogbones/Diff Outdrives

Besides investing in other things such as tools, fluids, cleaners, pit gear, storage, etc. The next thing I would be paying for is maybe another body, anything that has broke so far, and more wheel/tires combos (with an offset) at this point.

11)FLM EXT LCG TVP's/Motor Plate
12)Spares of Everything Plastic, this can be done on ebay for like $50 :)
13)New Clutch Shoes, especially if the stockers are wore out already
14)New Shocks, maybe big bores
15)Mid Tank, maybe

1 Steering servo, if $ permits get a faster throttle at the same time.
2 Red dual disc brakes
3 LiFe RX bat.
4 BP diffs and shim everything, diffs, trans, and clutchbell.
5 Roll cage. I prefer nylon myself for its ability to absorb impacts.
6 2.4 ghz radio.
7 Mid tank mod.
9 extended TVPs.
10 Learne to drive!!!!

You need to make a list for the easy quick upgrades. Like the stock shock mod. Suspention oil. Like upgrades for less than 25$ each, don't know about you guys I don't have unlimited income to spend another grand upgrading my car with your " top ten upgrades" but I would like to get the most out of my truck with quick easy mods.

You need to make a list for the easy quick upgrades. Like the stock shock mod. Suspention oil. Like upgrades for less than 25$ each, don't know about you guys I don't have unlimited income to spend another grand upgrading my car with your " top ten upgrades" but I would like to get the most out of my truck with quick easy mods.

your welcome to start a separate thread and call it "easy, quick upgrades for less than $25.00" i think its a good idea, take the ball & run with it brother :bolt:

where can i get the following
Steering upgrade bearing kit
Ofna Throttle linkage
got part numbers?

thanks ill check out those links .... the steering bearing theres 4 to choose from
6x10x3 Flanged Metal
6x10x3 Metal
6x10x3 Revolutions
6x10x3 Rubber
then theres the 5.00 bearings

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back