The Ressurection of a LEGEND....The Virginia Beach Beast Monster Tank (56K BEWARE!!!)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soulja

Virginia Beach Beast
well.....the rebuild starts here ladies and gentlemen. but first.....some before pics
Picture079.jpg

Picture076.jpg

Picture074.jpg

Picture065.jpg

Picture064.jpg

Picture093.jpg

Picture096.jpg

Picture094.jpg

in the pics is it in running condition? just curious!! that thing is awsome by the way!!

man I cant wait to see the build progress of the BEAST.

What the heck you going to do to get it out of that location or are you just working on it there?

Looks like the tracks need new pads as well. I hope you can find them.

in the pics is it in running condition? just curious!! that thing is awsome by the way!!

no...i bought it as a roller. all those pics are coming up..........she will be ready to run after an engine and transmission.........but i have that....just to go in the shop to get worked on.....

Is this the official VBB build thread now?

yes sir.....i post here before the monster truck forum because i love you guys!!!! every this is copied and paste on the monstermayhem.org blog after i put it here.

What the heck you going to do to get it out of that location or are you just working on it there?

he still has the first beast that is still running.....and a forklift ...moving is no problem...

Looks like the tracks need new pads as well. I hope you can find them.

the tracks are my only concern.....you can't buy pads......you have to replace the whole track. until i find some....i will just take it easy......

now to tell the low down. i am gonna be running a 1969 Chevy 366 out of a C60 wrecker. why run a 366??? why not a 454??? well....number one...everyone that has a 454 wants an arm, leg, and hip for them. but, but a lot of folks don't realize is this.....for all you country boys out there.......how many times have you seen a C50 thru a C80 carry a load of cars....pulling a 20k ibs farm trailer, or some ungodly amount of weight without straining? the 366 and 427 truck motors are as tough as they get. they do work like that all day long at 4500 rpm without a whimper or cough (unless you have a bad carb!). plus a lot of folk didn't know that the 366 and 427 was experimented in planes. the only reason why they didn't work was because they couldn't keep them cool. a plane engine has to hold 95% power ALL the time. the 366/427 truck blocks held in at 91%.....still good but not enough for planes. think about...they can do it in a truck because its stop a go (time to cool). plus...for all you performance heads out there ......a lot of people didn't know the crank and connecting rods were forged. so what does that mean?? CHEAP PERFORMANCE PARTS!!! plus, the crank and rods fit riright in 396,402, and 427 blocks with no modifications! so...if i do run across one of the above blocks...i have a complete forged rotating assembly! the only draveback with the 366 is the small bore. but...torque is what i need....not horsepower. Willie said that the more horsepower & torque you have....the more problem you will have also. these tanks are built SOLID...and more of the two creates more stress on driveline components. with all the above in mind.......

i went looking for a 366. the same day i looked....within an hour i found one on craigslist out of a wrecker that had 20K miles on it for $300 COMPLETE. it was a deal i couldn't refuse. so a call to Wayne and i was on my way to Williamsburg VA to get my motor! What am i going to do with it??? the only modes i have planned for it is a Competitam Cams Xtreme 4x4 259 Torque cam that puts the power from idle to 5200 rpm.....right where i need to be.

Picture097.jpg

i have a Felpro full gasket set (might as well freshen it up) and a different set of heads. the heads on the 366 are small port and very restrictive....so a few calls to a few ofmy customers (i am an assistant manager of Napa in Ahoskie) and one of them had some heads he just had redone not too lond ago. the casting number of the heads are 3931063.....and my research show that cam off a 68-69 396 350HP engine!!!! man i got a steal and paided only $100 for both!!!

Picture100.jpg

Picture101.jpg

Picture103.jpg

while i got the cam i got some Jegs chrome big block valve covers and the Moroso solid engine mounts. my customer also has a tall deck 4 barrel intake......i have to buy that also. chevy truck blocks have a taller deck on them....and regular intakes can't be ran unless you buy a set of $200 spacers. man....so far she's coming together pretty cheap! for a tranny.....Willie said he has the tank set up for a TH400 long tail tranny. a friend of mine gave me 2 short tail Th400s.....and a call to a friend of mine and he has 5 TH400s but for Olds motors. BUT.....that the GM gods that all the internalls are the same...so another customer of mine is goon thakt the internals out of the long tail and put in the Chevy case to make a long tail chevy.

Picture098.jpg

Picture099.jpg

OOOOOO special thanks to HPISFs owm racinrusty........he's gonna put the engine together for me. he has his own business too....R & T Motorsports.....so if you guys have anything you need worked on and you are close....holla at him!!! (that one was free Rusty!!!)

now for a history lesson......

a lot of people didn't know that the Beast actually had an unblown engine in it! one time after Willie messed up his blown engine...he ran a naturally aspirated big block in it because he had a magazine shoot and a race that weekend! the Oct 86 issue of Pulling Power magazine is the ONLY book that ever showed a picture of it! and the next weekend he had a race agaist BIGFOOT!!! and that naturally aspirated chevy STILL gave Bigfoot a run for the money!!! i think this is the race...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy80eIh2ahg

so...you never know what you are up against!!!!

until next posting.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet Matt..Glad to see that you have some connections to get you some deals on the motor parts.. Can't wait to see the Beast come together..Good Job and Good Luck!!!
:peace:

first off...I have to take time to tell the guys i've met by doing this thread thanks for all the help. Steve H and Randy B......glad i met those two guys! after a phone call from Randy (the creater/owner of the Abuzer Tank) and a nice long conversation...he ask for me to post some vintage beast vids.....and here they all are

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=extXcz2eDRk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmLtXror_R4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy80eIh2ahg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HB49xA9E90
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED_k2K9nWv8

these are my favorite vids...cuz this is my tank that is running!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgJ2Si9ufmM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgJ2Si9ufmM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6BI1sClScQ

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey bro, missed you in Fayetteville,NC. Had a good win over Bigfoot, only to lose to Sean in the finals. When you goona have the Beast ready?
Give me a call sometime.

war wounds.....here is the dent fron that rollover!!!!
Picture088.jpg

and...something for you TRUE old skollers....how 'bout the United States Hot Rod Association inspection sticker.....still in tact!!! man that awesome!!!!
Picture083.jpg

Hey bro, missed you in Fayetteville,NC. Had a good win over Bigfoot, only to lose to Sean in the finals. When you goona have the Beast ready?
Give me a call sometime.

my man...puttin it down.....bout to call now

Wow this is awesome and very exciting. I want to see it moving. Can you get us some pictures of the inside of the BEAST.

Wow this is awesome and very exciting. I want to see it moving. Can you get us some pictures of the inside of the BEAST.

on the way tomorrow my good friend........on the way....just don't feel like typing to much more 2nite...lol!

You should put a sweet sound system in that puppy.

thought about it...but here are the drawbacks

1) it kills the originality of it..........got to keep hear near original so she'll be worth more

2) ou couldn't hear it!! straight pipe zoomies........engine behind you under the floor....baaaaadd juju!

WELL ......MY BABY IS HOME!!!!!

I HAVE TO SEND A SPECIAL THANKS TO CROC FROM TRICO GRADING FOR SPECIAL PRICING AND PICKING UP THE BEAST AMD TAKING IT TO THE SHOP FOR ME. I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO THANK MY ISURANCE COMPANY ....LEE INSURANCE AGENCY.....FOR BEING MY FIRST SPONSORER!!!!!! HOPEFULLY MORE TO COME.......HERE IS THE PLAY BY PLAY ON US PICKING IT UP...

THIS IS WILLIE ON THE LIFT

Picture105.jpg

WE PULLED IT OUT...THEN HE USE THE FORKLIFT TO PICK IT UP AND MOVE IT BACK SOME....MAN....THAT FORKLIFT WAS COMING OFF THE GROUND!!!!

Picture106.jpg

Picture107.jpg

Picture108.jpg

Picture109.jpg

Picture110.jpg

Picture111.jpg

Picture112.jpg

ONCE WE HAD HER STRAIGHT....I STEERED IT ON THE TRAILER....MAN THOSE BRAKE ON IT WORK VERY GOOD!

Picture113.jpg

Picture114.jpg

Picture116.jpg

Picture117.jpg

Picture120.jpg

Picture121.jpg

Picture122.jpg

CHAINED AND READY TO GO!!!!

Picture123.jpg

Picture125.jpg

Picture126.jpg

Picture127.jpg

Picture129.jpg

THE TRIP HOME......DON'T TRY THIS!!!!

Picture135.jpg

Picture136.jpg

AND THE DROP OFF AND THE SHOP!!!!!

Picture138.jpg

Picture139.jpg

Picture140.jpg

Picture141.jpg

NOW LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

man i am speechless I got butterflys just looking at the pix you are the man

Latest posts

Members online

Back