Savage X engine upgrades??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xclandon

Hey, I'm hoping to upgrade my savage x 4.6 engine soon. Any ideas? Id like an engine thats easy to tune but has a good amount of low end power. I currently have the hpi ribbed pipe on my truck. I'm thinking lrp .28, lrp .30, or lrp .32. Any other good reliable engine ideas? Also would my rotostart work or do I just need to use the pullstart that comes on the engines?

Ya I agree with HOP. I have OS engines and they always run great tune easily and the .30 has a roto on it so no starter problems . will bolt rite in ur savage no mods too.....

Ok I just found that the OS. 30 will run about $250 with the starter backplate and $230 without. Is there any others that would run about $200 or under? I think the lrp .32 is about the highest ill be able to go price wise...

Hmmm. How is the OS .30 compared to the lrp engines? Are they about the same price wise also?

No the OS is a bit of cash, I have seen the .30 go for as much as 239.00 on e bay, but the performance surpasses most other engines by far....

the LRP is a great engine also. ya cant go too wrong with one of those engines either....

Do you guys have any experience with either of those lrp engines? I know the .28 and the .30 would have more top speed than the .32 but the .32 has more low end and is only about $10 more than the .30.

Do you guys have any experience with either of those lrp engines? I know the .28 and the .30 would have more top speed than the .32 but the .32 has more low end and is only about $10 more than the .30.

Yakk with Upbasher I think he has one and his buddy has the other so their input may help ya there

ya the pipe ya have is prolly good long as is not dented or bent like UP had on his truck

THe LRP 28 is awesome and so is the ofna force .28. Both are fantastic engines
The LRP .30 spec 2 seems to have all low end torque, its not much for speed, as found out by pin it ot win it, but man does it have torque, theres no stopping it. You will need bp diffs, and robinson racing gears to handle it.
Of course you're still going to snap dogbones like crazy

Hmmm. So I'm guessing the lrp .32 would be even harder on the drivetrain correct? How mutch would it cost to upgrade the truck to handle the power of these two engines? And what parts are needed?

Well, the new bp diffs will hold up. You may want to upgrade to flux dogbones and drive cups...try and find some all steel tranny gears, because second gear may not last through one tank...lol if its plastic in there
And you will for sure need rrp spur and clutchbell, because you'll shred plastic spurs every run I'm betting

I currently have robinson racing steel spur and hardened clutch bell. I have the 2011 savage x truck. Does it have bp diffs?

I currently have robinson racing steel spur and hardened clutch bell. I have the 2011 savage x truck. Does it have bp diffs?

I'm not sure. Post a picture of the stock body that came with the truck and I'll tell you.
As for the tranny gears, I don't know, I couldn't find them either. I was just saying, you know, if you find them get em.
I've eaten second gear twice within like 5 tanks, just with the lrp 28

Personally I found that the HPI ribbed pipe was overly loud and actually killed some of my power. It's too wide open, no back pressure. If you like it, then ignore my post, just pointing out that you may be better off going with a different pipe.

Ok its the red and grey body. They also make a pink and yellow one. So if I were to buy those gears would they fit in my tranny case? I would prob wait until my 2 speed goes out and then buy the 3 speed

I don't see any need for more low end in a savage. With a 2 speed they just flip over with any qulity 28 and matched pipe. The hpi pipes all suck for good motors. I own all hpi , jp 1,2 and 3 086 plus ercms pipe even the buku. Hpis are all trash for power and the rib is not even a tuned pipe its just a can and kills power hard. Id buy a .30 caz why not but see no need or the fun in a .32 for a bash truck just not enough rpm. Sweet for a puller thay does 10 mph. I like my savys to top 60. Ive had good luck with the lrp brand as a whole. Also had fun with piccos. Os is way over priced imho. Options are endless so what do you intend to do with the truck?

I like doing wheelies and jumping mainly. I have a track near my house so I might take it out ther every so often. So between the .28,.30.& .32 you would go with the .30? I know the .30 &.32 are about the same price. Also would my driveshaft and tranny I have be alright?

Prolly not without some upgrades. and I think the .30 is way more than enuff for most all monster truck types......

Ok thanks. My friend had a .32 in a losi aftershock. Wouldnt a savage x be able to handle it better than that??

depends on how much ya break stuff, if doing large jumps and things like that prolly have to upgrade the rig..... how much does his Losi break ? I bet alot huh ?

Ok thanks. My friend had a .32 in a losi aftershock. Wouldnt a savage x be able to handle it better than that??

He hasn't broken any driveshaft or tranny parts yet. Hpi is replacing my air leaked f4.6 engine. The new one should come in any time. Any ideas how I should sell it?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back