OPERATION: Savage..............

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sweet carnage at least you had fun with your dad and thats how to get others started into the hobby. hope he picks up on it .. happy bashn ..c ya...

Thanks Max, yea I'm hoping so, it would be great to have somebody to go out and bash savages with and if that person was my father id be over the moon, i grew up with pretty much just my mum and always felt as tho i was missing out not having my dad around all the time, i only used to see him on weekends and still don't see him as often as i should now.

looks like a bearing might have failed....

You know what Soulja you are so right there my man, just the inspected bearings after reading your post and sure enough the 43t side bearing is trashed!!

Man that puts my mind at ease knowing what caused it, THANKS!!

001-3.jpg
[/IMG]

002-4.jpg
[/IMG]

Suppose id better order up some bearings too lol

ouch same thing mine did last week... bearing went out and it ate the pinion and ring gear hope your dad gets involved with um so you can spend the time together thad be awesome .. who knows this hobby might be the thing that brings you closer together .. good luck happy bashn..

Yea definately Max, if not i hope i can keep my sons interests up in the hobby hes a good driver, probably better than me lol

Well iv ordered up all the bearings, the pinion bearings don't look too healthy either so i may aswell replace them all while iv got it all stripped, saw a flux super heavy duty pinion on ebay that was only 1gbp more than the standard one so ive gone for that, and also a new ring gear.

Thanks Max mate, i already had a brand new bulk i bought on the bay a few weeks ago really cheap, thought it would come in handy at some point, so ive used that, as the bearing had failed i think it may have seized up at some point because the bearing carrier in the bulk looked a bit worn so the new bulk went on the rear, it has the pinion bearings in it already which i totally forgot about and ordered more lol doh, oh well when the ones i ordered arrive il replace the front pinion bearings.

So a few more bits arrived today, firmer lst shock springs (7.4lb), 49t spur, 18t vented clutch bell, diff bearings, flux heavy duty pinion gear, and a new 43t diff ring gear.

006-3.jpg
[/IMG]

Got the diff reassembled with the new bearings and gears, reshimmed, refilled with silicon oil and greased, and bulk assembled and fitted the springs, the clutch bell and spur are for when the new engine arrives.

And a few more pics.

I also had a go at Banks throttle/brake linkage, works well, got the blow by effect going on fine, just need to turn the carb a little which i probably wont do because i wont be driving it again till the new engine arrives and il get it setup perfect then and post a vid of it working, but need a faster servo now, the SF-2 is a bit too slow with a throttle return spring fitted.

010-3.jpg
[/IMG]
011-2.jpg
[/IMG]
012-1.jpg
[/IMG]
013-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited by a moderator:
Nova clutch shoes and mugen 1.0 springs just arrived.

002-7.jpg
[/IMG]

And my truck now officially has balls of brass lmao cant call it her no more.

Dunno how long they will last on there, if the LRP has it wheelying again then they wont last 5mins i don't think.

003-6.jpg
[/IMG]
006-4.jpg
[/IMG]

And yes my wheelie bar is cracked in two places lol

Well guys finally after its been mis-sorted by the uk parcel force all over the uk it is here, at last.

DSC00908.jpg
[/IMG]

DSC00909.jpg
[/IMG]

DSC00910.jpg
[/IMG]

A few other bits have arrived too so il update again in a bit when iv got the engine on the truck!!

ohh the lrp .30 eh a saw one rip in a truggy and the front end was dancing across pavment it killed my axail .28

cant wait to hear how the 30 rips!! please keep us informed!!

Me niether Sadsack!! I know its probably not as great as the picco but it think itl put a smile on my face, i hope (0:

wow!!!! i'm not sure how i missed this one. thanks for all the part #'s and pics. great thread londoner!! reped:resp:!!

Thanks Texas, lol the past few weeks iv had part #'s coming out of my ears!!

ohh the lrp .30 eh a saw one rip in a truggy and the front end was dancing across pavment it killed my axail .28

Cool Redneck was it the pull start or the X competition version, I'm planning to buy the X bumpstart version in a month or two and swap over the backplate and pullstart from this one to create a pull start ZR.30 X!

Well been busy the past few hours wrenching away, and this is where I'm up to . . .

Fitted a new set of brake discs and pads, the old ones werent badly worn but the centre hexes were well worn and were almost spinning around the hub so as i now have a more powerfull engine i thought now would be a good time to replace them!

036-3.jpg
[/IMG]

I swapped the plastic bulkhead/skidplate chassis braces for the FLM braces that came with the tvp set, I'm not sure if these are what they are meant for or they are engine braces i dunno but they do a good job there, plus the threads in the plastic braces were starting to weaken and strip now.

038-2.jpg
[/IMG]

Flywheel swapped over from the K4.6, Nova shoes with Mugen 1.0 springs fitted, i put the set screw in the first hole closest to the flywheel pins and see how that goes.

027-1.jpg
[/IMG]

New 18t HPI racing vented clutch bell and metal shielded bearings, all shimmed up but spinning freely.

029-1.jpg
[/IMG]

With the carb turned to do banks throttle mod i couldnt get enough of a turn because of the carb hitting up against the TVP, so i cut a bit off from the rear of where the throttle valve mixer thing would mount, filed it to shape and cleaned it up with some wire wool and it almost looks as though it meant to be like that, now i can turn the carb as much as i need to do the mod . . .

039-1.jpg
[/IMG]

007-4.jpg
[/IMG]

Engine in, meshed, linked up, throttle adjusted.

001-4.jpg
[/IMG]

002-8.jpg
[/IMG]

003-7.jpg
[/IMG]

I saw a hong nor lx-1 wing mount on ebay for under 2gbp posted, and an Annsmann wing for 4gbp posted so i thought what the hell, the mount isnt quite long enough to fit onto the shock tower area so for now iv got on the I-RC bracket but i get the feeling that a hard enough hit will break the tower so i think some other wing mount will be in the bag, but it looks good for now lol

011-3.jpg
[/IMG]

012-2.jpg
[/IMG]

014-3.jpg
[/IMG]

013-2.jpg
[/IMG]

With the body on. . .

041-2.jpg
[/IMG]

042.jpg
[/IMG]

And i wanted a simple light set, not loads of lights just 2 front, 2 rear so here they are!

045.jpg
[/IMG]

044.jpg
[/IMG]

052.jpg
[/IMG]

050.jpg
[/IMG]

046.jpg
[/IMG]

049.jpg
[/IMG]

Ok so thats about all for now folks, i cant break my engine in until my steer servo gear set arrives from the USA as this engine i want to break in using the heat cycle method, my previous engines iv always used the break in on blocks method but i wanna try this more professional method.

Nice Dude!!!!! I Like A Lot!!!!

Cheers guys, got some of the LRP decals on the body just now, heres how she looks now, i still need to trim the body at the rear to fit over the wing mount properly.

005-5.jpg
[/IMG]

003-8.jpg
[/IMG]

006-5.jpg
[/IMG]

Thanks man i cant wait to rip it!! I might break with all the waiting and buy another steer servo, and use the 645mg on my throttle when the gear set arrives for it, or i could put my sf-1 back on the throttle and use the sf-2 for steering just to break the engine in . . . hmmm we'l see how long it takes before i crack lol

Got my eye on a sick body on ebay, it ends in a few days time so il see how much it goes up to and may try for it at the end.

Yay my servo gear set just arrived!!

004-6.jpg
[/IMG]

Il try and get some break in vids up soon ;-)

been raining on and off here in london so still havnt had a chance to fire up and break in this engine yet )-:

Hoping for some decent weather tomorrow by the time my son finishes school and I'm home from work.

HOLY COW!!!!!!

This engine is sick!! lmao I'm so happy with it, my boy and i finally started getting it broken in today and my oh my it is something else, iv only ran the f4.6 and k4.6 and this is in another league altogether.

18/47 ext chassis full tank of fuel up front and it wants to flip the truck on its back and my truck isnt no lightweight CF racer, it weighs a ton, all still on factory settings, the new wing makes a great wheelie bar too lol

This vid is after 3 tanks of heat cycling, around 180 deg F, my son at the controls, sorry for all the noise, was a bit windy.

And another after about 6 tanks, still factory settings, my son driving again.

fourtwenty2009
[/URL][/IMG]

We only managed to get around 8 tanks through it and started getting steer servo probs, then gears sound stripped again, getting to the end of the travel and clicking, theres brand new gears in it and we didnt hit anything so il strip it out again and have a look.

Cant wait till its fully broken in and tuned a little, man shes gonna fly!!

Thanx Scott, man its impressed me so far, i had more of a smile on my face than when i first ran the savage stock and new.

I have a 19t CB on its way to me, but i don't think il get in, the pullstarter is already touching the TVP almost, i don't think the engine will move over enough with the 47t spur in there, so now I'm thinking flux 45t steel spur hmmm lol 19/45??

The LRP is much stronger today, and claimed its first victims, rear diff ring and pinion both almost new and shimmed.

Getting sick of replacing diffs now.

Yea i think thatl be my only option now, and be much cheaper in the long run.

I just ordered a new heavy duty ring & pinion cheap on ebay UK for now cos i gotta have it running for this saturday, only just today arranged a meet at the local common with my new friend and his 25 and a couple of guys with traxxas slayers, so as i organised it i have to turn up lol

I have been watching CEN gst diffs on the bay for a little while now and iv asked Baddasz a few questions about doing the mod, and he cleared it all up for me so thats next i think.

Oh i found out what my steer servo problem was, when i changed the gears over i changed all the brass gears and the first metal/plastic gear, but the final large gear looked ok so i didnt change it, after stripping it all down again (at 3am this morning lol) and giving it all a good clean to get rid of all the grease i found that same gear had two teeth missing, changed it and my servo is fine again.

Won a used Dynamite 086 last night on Ebay USA, Ofna 086's (i would have preffered) are non existent in the UK, nobody sells them, i can get the Dynamites here but theyre so expensive, up to 70gbp which is well over $100!! This one was the best condition one of the lot he had, and i got it for $32, which is just below the UK threshold for import/customs tax, touch!! Should be here in a week or two.

Nice build Daniel!! And yes where did you find that servo horn?? Thanks for sharing that!!

Latest posts

Members online

Back