OPERATION: Savage..............

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It has about 3/4 gallon of byrons 25% on it, I'm not sure how long the pinch or tightness at the top should last for but as an example my k4.6 has a gallon on it and when the head is removed i can spin the flywheel and the piston moves through its entire stroke with no resistance at all, this LRP piston pushed the sleeve out when it was about halfway up its stroke, a few turns before the sleeve came out and the piston was getting stuck at the top needing a little extra force on the flywheel to get it to turn again.

Hi all, well my hard anodized shock bodies and TiNi shafts arrived yesterday so i got my shocks rebuilt and filled with 45wt sillicon fluid and used half inch of tubing on the shafts to drop it a bit, 47t steel SS spur, i managed to get the 19t bell in so now its 19/47, motor saver sav100, put some new fuel line on, HPI large fuel filter and tidied it up with some fuel line clips that iv had for some time but never used, i also recieved my mugen mbx5 pilot nut for use with the nova shoes and mugen springs as i noticed one of the shoes wasnt being pulled back fully and has worn a little more than the other two as a result, but now the springs sit in mugen nuts grove much better.

011-10.jpg

013-5.jpg

014-5.jpg

022-2.jpg
[/IMG]

Ignore my flywheel, i really need a new one lol

001-10.jpg

And i saw this "got savage" decal on ebay USA some time ago i actually forgot i bought two of them lol they were cheap as chips too, heres the link to them http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120452962844&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

007-9.jpg

010-10.jpg

Ignore the dates on the pics, my camera shows a different date everytime its turned on for some reason, and i forgot to turn the date/time off lol

Cant wait to go out and run it tomorrow now, I'm all itching for it lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey all, lil update,

I got a Spektrum DX2 2.4 system, and the most important upgrade to my truck, my HPISF forum stickers.........:rock:

012-6.jpg
[/IMG]

Love the short Rx antenna

008-10.jpg
[/IMG]

Fitted an I-RC ultra heavy duty centre front dogbone and replaced the three centre drive cups with the chrome hardened version, I'm forever going through the standard black ones so il see if these last any longer.

010-11.jpg
[/IMG]

002-12.jpg

006-8.jpg
[/IMG]

The same Uk ebay seller that i got the FLM steering link from had a brand new in the pack FLM extended skid plate so i had that straight away!

001-13.jpg
[/IMG]

My Hitec HS-645mg that i was using on steering i put on throttle/brake duties and turned my carb a bit more and adjusted my linkage a little to get it more inline with the carb slide.

004-11.jpg
[/IMG]

Got Savox SC1256TG 20kg Ti geared digital coreless servo for steer duties, this thing is a beast of a servo, very loud but very torquey! My servo saver spring is now far too weak and il be getting the new heavy duty spring in a couple of weeks when theyre in stock in the UK.

007-12.jpg
[/IMG]

007-13.jpg

005-9.jpg
[/IMG]

I inspected my clutch shoes last week and as i took the clutch bell off the shoes fell off the flywheel with the flywheel pins still attached lol so i replaced my flywheel with another stocker and i think my flywheel was part of the 3rd gear problem iv been having, since iv fitted the new one the problem has gone, the pins were obviously loose and must have been stopping the shoes from engaging in third making it feel like i was driving with the brake on.

I think the nova shoes are still slipping though and they seem to over heat pretty quick and i have to keep stopping to let the shoes cool or i lose the bite, so ive just bought some Dynamite max life 5180 shoes

017-5.jpg
[/IMG]

Iv just ordered a new engine mount because iv stripped one of the threads in the bottom of the mount so il fit these shoes when i fit the new mount and il go back to the 18t clutch bell.

I plan to install the new 29/9t diffs when theyre available.

So thats it, I'm pretty much done with this truck now, I'm not spending nothing more on it execpt for repairs and maintenance obviously, i have a Platinum RC wing kit ordered so il post pics when that arrives and fitted.

008-9.jpg
[/IMG]

007-10.jpg
[/IMG]

Ok had a bit of bad luck since the last update, my new engine mount arrived so i got to changing that over, fitting the Dynamite clutch shoes, tried to take the CB retaining screw out of the end of the crank and SNAP!! The screw head snapped off leaving the screw in the crank!! And it broke off below the level of the end of the crank so theres nothing to grip onto.

003-14.jpg
[/IMG]

Iv tried drilling into the screw a little then tapping it round but it wont budge, even heated it a little but no joy, i was going to dremel about 3mm off the end of the crank to expose some of the broken screw to try and grip but after a quick look on eBay i found a new crank pretty cheap, so i ordered it and il save myself the hassle. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370244638427&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

So anyway i stuck my K4.6 in to use while I'm waiting on the new crank, and 5mins into the first tank my throttle servo (hs-645mg) packs up!!

AAAARRRRRGGGGHH!! it was on steering for six months, stripped one set of gears but otherwise it was fine, 5mins on throttle and it dies?? Maybe it was because I'm now using a digital radio and the 645 is analogue?? i dunno?

After getting home and trying to find what was wrong with the servo i noticed my front left wheel wobbling around on the axle, Axial hex bites the dust, now totally rounded out and chewed up! and the other side is pretty much gone aswell, so i need a new set of rims now too, iv managed to get my big joes off the GLUED beadlock rims by baking them and now I'm after a new set of 40 series rims.

But my new throttle servo arrived today, was going for a steal on eBay, roughly half the UK rrp, and digital too.

002-14.jpg
[/IMG]

Heat the broke off screw up with a soldering iron or lighter (heats up the locktight) and tap it and it will come right out that happened to me before or if you cantry to get it with needle nose pliers

Thanks i tried that, i actually heated it up with my Rothenberger plumbers blow torch.

005-7.jpg
[/IMG]

Trouble is that its broken off maybe 1/2 to 3/4mm below the end of the crank so theres nothing to grip onto, sorry my pic wasnt too clear, if i was to carefully dremel off some of the end of the crank without cutting into the broken screw i could probably grip the screw in a vice and turn it out of the crank.

008-11.jpg
[/IMG]

Good idea, i might just try that, i have a new crank on the way now but if i can get it out i can keep it as a spare, better than binning it lol

If you can get a slot cut in it you can just use a flathead screwdriver. I've done that a few times.

Thanks guys, been a bit busy with work and such to do much wrenching or driving the truck but the new crank arrived so iv got the LRP back in, got the PRC wing plate on, new 5625MG THR/BRK servo fitted.

Got a few other changes planned, i cant help myself lol so will update with pics again soon!

Quick piccie update.

This is my truck now.

010-13.jpg

007-15.jpg

001-18.jpg

Few changes, fitted a set of Proline VTR 4.0" 1/2" offset rims with Proline Caliber VTR tyres, very narrow but also very light, the weight iv shed by going from the 40s big Joes to these is unbelievable! the truck feels so much lighter.

These are awesome, perfectly balanced, when i had them mounted to the truck while i had no diffs or dogbones in i could spin them and they spin forever, perfectly true with no wobble and no noticable heavy spots and no part of the wheel settled to the bottom when they came to a stop.

004-13.jpg

008-12.jpg

I did buy a set of Proline Wabash rims and 23mm adapters for the big Joes coz my axial beadlocks are now in the bin, but i just couldnt get the adapters to sit square on the XL axles, they are the Proline adapters for XL axles but there was just too much wheel wobble, almost enought to make the truck jump as it rolled! shame, they looked good, but seeing the weight difference i don't think il use the 40s/big Joes again.

038-3.jpg

Got tired of seeing my hump pack cable tied to the TVP so i got a Rush battery box and Innovative RC Rush box bracket and mounted it to the front of the rear tower.

015-3.jpg

PRC wing plate and Hot Bodies wing stay.
006-13.jpg

HPI heavy duty servo saver spring for a tight servo saver.
009-12.jpg

022-4.jpg

And my favourite change of all, the machined bulletproof 29/9t diffs and Flux composite bulks, iv gone through 2 more shimmed rear XL diff ring and pinions since the last pic update, the LRP.30 eats them for breakfast!

007-14.jpg

Front.
018-5.jpg

And rear.
005-10.jpg

The LST shocks and I-RC kit is coming off soon, iv ordered a set of alum big bores, not because iv had any real problems with them or the way the truck rides with them but because they are heavy and feeling the weight loss after just changing the wheels, swapping them for big bores would make the truck that much lighter still.

I'm ordering the RSC next week too, so once iv got those il update again.

Very nice job. You know you don't need that roll bar with the wing. the wing will keep the motor from hitting the ground. It also makes for a very nice wheely bar.

Thanks Pope, IDK my head has made contact with the ground even with the wing and bar, i don't know when it happened but my head is all scuffed but i mainly run the bar to stop my air filter ripping off or getting damaged and sucking dirt in.

Well i took the truck for a run and a wheel come of after 5mins, lost the nut and i don't have any spares lol the pin, hex and XL spacer managed to stay on though, did a little damage to my brand new wheel hex but i think itl be ok.

003-19.jpg

And this was the moment it happened, was fun, it had just stopped raining, wet grass, the truck was drifting all over the place, the Mrs just started filming on her phone when the wheel came off then the engine cut out, shes still very rich but just starting to let me tune :cussing:

Awesome truck m8,got some spare hex pins here somewhere as well if ya need em :).

Thanks Pro mate, iv ordered a new set of wheel nuts and il replace all 4, i think the nylon inserts are worn, gotta meet up and run with you guys some day soon, and maybe you can take some of your awesome shots of my truck in action, hint hint nudge nudge lol :stickpoke:

Thanks man, i agree.

Well my RSC arrived today :werd:

009-14.jpg

Cant wait to get this baby fitted but il probably wait till my big bores arrive and do it all in one go.

Cheers HYP!

Had a few hours spare this afternoon so i threw the RSC on, think i got it setup ok for now, maybe a bit too much tow out on the front, just gotta wait for my new wheel nuts bad word chucked a couple of new shock towers on too, my old ones were drilled from experimenting where to put my Rx box and hump and i never noticed before but my rear tower was quite badly bent.

013-7.jpg

014-9.jpg

015-4.jpg

017-8.jpg

Thanks Scott man, lots of nice words about my truck from you guys, guess iv not done bad then.

Was just looking at it a minuit ago and the only things left from the original X4.6 truck are the lower arms, lower hinge pins and braces, skids, bumpers, body mounts, roll bar(put the plastic one back on) steering posts/servo saver and a few of the original screws!! lol hardly nothing has been over looked.

I have the Baja adjustable steering link on the way and the HPI Titanium gearbox driveshaft and gearshaft also, I'm now on the lookout for a half decent charger. Hmmm

Latest posts

Members online

Back