My New Savage X SS 5.9 Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, I ordered the Integy rear hubs for my savage today. To get rid of the access bulk back there.

I also ordered the GPM front steering knucles and assembly. to increase my turn radious. I was able to find the CVA's with large diameter shafts and 2.5mm pins but they are not in stock. They were $50, I didn't think they were a bad price.
I will go ahead an run the dogbones till I can source other CVA's or a better solution.

Bob

P.S. I have also jumped on the FastLane Machine side for this Savage. I haven't even started this thing and already upgraded it.

MONEY PIT!!

UPDATE:

My AXIAL Beadloacks are in and MOABS mounted. They look nice, but I am not impressed with screws going into plastic wheels. There really isn't a way to put pressure down on the bead without stripping the screw in the plastic. Future project is to find a solution. These pictures are just up next to the truck, tires are not actually mounted to the truck.

IMG_1526.jpg

This is how I solved my HPI BIG BORE SHOCK problem. The problem was: To much slop in the upper mount in the hole of the shock.

I used OFNA part number 30411 bells, HPI spacer Z819 and walla. no slop.

IMG_1528.jpg

This is how it was from the factory and there was alot of slop

IMG_1529.jpg

More to come.

New rear hubs came in yesturday and installed today. Now I'm waiting for the fronts and some linkages and I am ready to go.

IMG_1533.jpg

UPDATE:

My AXIAL Beadloacks are in and MOABS mounted. They look nice, but I am not impressed with screws going into plastic wheels. There really isn't a way to put pressure down on the bead without stripping the screw in the plastic. Future project is to find a solution. These pictures are just up next to the truck, tires are not actually mounted to the truck.

IMG_1526.jpg

This is how I solved my HPI BIG BORE SHOCK problem. The problem was: To much slop in the upper mount in the hole of the shock.

I used OFNA part number 30411 bells, HPI spacer Z819 and walla. no slop.

IMG_1528.jpg

This is how it was from the factory and there was alot of slop

IMG_1529.jpg

More to come.

Aloha GRKSTL,

Have a question about the BB Shocks, is the Bell and extra spacer something that is needed or is it just user preference? I bought the plastic BB Shocks and just wanted to know if that is something I need as well or if stock will work as is.

Thanks,
ulua

The stock will work, I was not pleased with the slop in the mount. Basically the slop comes in the black ball and the sleve it goes in. The inner sleeve diameter is 6mm the ball itself is 5.38 and there is too much slop. If you mount it and snug it down it will squeeze the assembly all together and you will not have movement on the upper mount at all.

The way I did it, you will have a solid no slop setup and the shock will move freely.

Bob

The stock will work, I was not pleased with the slop in the mount. Basically the slop comes in the black ball and the sleve it goes in. The inner sleeve diameter is 6mm the ball itself is 5.38 and there is too much slop. If you mount it and snug it down it will squeeze the assembly all together and you will not have movement on the upper mount at all.

The way I did it, you will have a solid no slop setup and the shock will move freely.

Bob

Thanks, that is one solid build you got going

ulua

Thats funny but no, I am waiting for upgrade parts I ordered. I ordered them from GPM and they are coming for Hong Kong. I should have looked at where they were coming from. It's ok though, I have a custom set of all aluminum beadlocks coming to replace the axial ones I baught.

The truck is sitting on my cardenza right behind my desk and its making me angry that its sitting there. The paint scheme I am planning should turn out decent. Its going to be my first time using my airbrush.

I have been eyeballing a HPI BAJA 5T for sale in Beloit Wisconsin for $500 with descent upgrades.

I will weight the axial beadlocks and weight the aluminum ones.

Depending on the weight I will take them with me to work and chuck them in the lathe and take some more material out of them.

They should be shipping today and I should have them in a few days time. I do not have a digital scale here at home though.

Must be nice to have access to machinery like that. The ability to do custom, one off pieces would be nice. I have to do most of my mods with a dremel, and the results arent always pretty.

Yeah, we call it our model shop. basically it is for our custom 1 offs that we need to run and test. I have used it to make my front engine brackets on my race car, machine special parts for other stuff I have worked on.

Once I get the wheels in and I am happy with the weight. I am also waiting to see if I will the FLM TVP's, if I don't I will just order them. Everything will go our for either powder coat of anodizing. Not sure yet which one I will choose.

I think I am going to either do the parts black or real dark grey.

Nice! Maybe a custom set of lcg xl tvps? Flm used to have black anodized. I ordered all myflm too late and they werent doing it anymore. Cant wait to see what you come up with.

if you got the x 4.6 you have a better mill then the x ss because the f4.6 is better then the k4.6 and definitely better then the k5.9

I have read stories online saying the 5.9 motor is a pig and it sucks. I have seen videos of it run and it does well. I will run this motor and break it in the way it sits. If I am not satisfied, I will show you how to get this thing to wake up easy. It will be a thread by itself, but it is easy upgrade anyone can do.

If that doesn't work I have a Jammin .28, 7 port race motor that will be going in.

:Xfingers:

OK, got most all the parts in yesturday got it all mounted and almost ready to go. I am having my motor gone through right now for more power. I should have the back next week and will be ready to roll.

I purchased the GPM front hubs because the turning radious on the stock stuff sucks. The increase the turning radious tremedously. Keep in mind I have also put bearings in the stock servo saver.

IMG_1535.jpg

The rear are heavy duty Integy

IMG_1536.jpg

The linkage is done

IMG_1537.jpg

This is how the truck will sit when all said and done. I do have another set of real beadlocks I am working on.

IMG_1538.jpg

Its to cold to paint right now, but I will have the masking laid out but next weekend.

MORE TO COME!

Looks good! Any plans for a mid tank in the future? Are you just waiting on the outake of the flm? Keep the pics coming!!!

dude i haven't even seen this thread till now ???? lol... nice job on it .. your using same knuckle and eliminators as i use love them never had issues with them in 2 years ...i seee the parma fasflourescent yellow paint .. its high lighter yellow isnt it huh? love that color.lol nice n bright .. is it what color your going with? or you going to throw down sime sick looking paint? cant wait to see it .. its coming along awesome...good job..

Latest posts

Members online

Back