IRC mid-tank. Build name to be determined.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the id of the cen 7.7 is identical to the hellfire & big bore shocks. the cen shafts are identical in length and dia as the hellfire shafts. i know this because i ran the cen 7.7 shafts and plungers in my alloy big bore shock bodies on my nitro savage (allanq has them now.

i never tried a spring swap but they have to be the same dia because i did use cen 7.7 preload spacers on my big bores as well.

Cool. Thanks Freddy. I was pleased with the performance of the stock GST 7.7 shocks that I figured I'd go ahead and try the alum ones. Got both sets for under $60 off the bay.

i like the look of em and bet you could even get em to work with lcg towers if you ever decided to go that route down the road.

i like the look of em and bet you could even get em to work with lcg towers if you ever decided to go that route down the road.

The quality of them look real good. They may work with lcg towers, but I think they'll still be a little bit too long. Once I get one built, I'll take some length measurements and let you know. Your still runnin the PRC lcg towers right? I can give you the measurements and if you wanna look into it, you can.

Just ordered a spring set kit for the hellfire to try out with my new shocks. Gonna try and get at least one pair built today and get some measurements for ya Freddy. And of coursse, I'll take pics too.

Here's some more info on the Cen GST 7.7 alumm upgrade/option shocks that I'll be tryin out. I started building them the other day and finished them last night. I haven't taken pics yet, but will before I fill them with oil. The shocks come with 2 different length ends for the shock shaft. The short one, which I used, is 25.75mm long and the long one is 36mm long. I opted for the short one to allow the truck to sit a little bit lower. The compression limiters (goes on the shaft between the rod end and shock body) that come with the set is 15mm. I used some vacuum tubing from the auto parts store and made my own, but a little longer. The length I made is 19.5mm. I did this so that on those high flyin jumps, the truck doesn't scrape the ground and scratch up my ano'd TVPs and skid plate. And the reason for usin the vacuum tubing is cuz it's more stiffer and durable than what is supplied with the shocks. The overall length of the shock fully built and uncompressed is 134mm from center to center of the top and bottom mounts. (Freddy, that measurement is for you incase you wanna look into seein if they'll work with LCG shock towers) The overall length of shock compressed is 106mm from center to center of the top and bottom mounts. That gives me 28mm of suspension travel. The compressed length usin the stock limiters would be 101.5mm from center to center of the top and bottom mounts. Which would result in havin 32.5mm of suspension travel. I'll try and get some pics up today or over the weekend.

Here are the pics of the alum GST 7.7 shocks. I still haven't gotten them filled with oil yet. Probably gonna do that sometime this week.

This pic shows all 4 shocks fully extended, minus shock caps.
106_1200.JPG

This pic shows only 2 shocks compressed with the shock caps installed.
106_1201.JPG

I'll try to remember to take another pic of the shocks with the caps on. It'll be a pic of 1 shock extended and 1 shock compressed side by side.

Here's is the side by side comparison of the shocks with 1 compressed and the other un-compressed.
106_1202.JPG

Just started fillin them tonight with oil. I'm gonna use 35wt oil and I'm usin the #2 piston. It comes with 3, soft, med, and stiff.

Got 2 shocks done and filled with oil. Movin the shaft in & out feels real smooth. Just waitin on the Hellfire springs to show up and figure out what springs I'm gonna use.

Got 2 shocks done and filled with oil. Movin the shaft in & out feels real smooth. Just waitin on the Hellfire springs to show up and figure out what springs I'm gonna use.

Springs showed up in the mail today. Judgin by feel, I think I'm gonna with the 2 firmest springs. Have to use at least the large pre-load spacer to make the springs fit. But, I got the last 2 filled with oil tonight. Gonna play around with the springs tom and check for leaks. Stay tuned for pics and final decision.

Got the shocks fully assmebled yest. I went with the yellow (10lb.) springs in the rear and the silver (9lb.) in the front. Still need to take pics though. I'm gonna refill the 1 XXL shock and put it back on the truck and run with it a little more then switch over to the GST 7.7. I'm gonna run those for awhile then decide which I'm gonna keep usin. Yesterday, I also started pullin the rest of the front end of to further check for any seen damage that there might be. But, as usual, in the process got to lookin to see if I could get a tad bit more steering throw. So, I ended up gettin more involved that origanally planned. I'll post pics of the new set-up once all the kinks are worked out.

Before the pics, I inspected the front bulk and everything on the front end and there was other damage. Got the steering reworked and was able to get a that tad bit more out of it. If I grind down the stops a bit on the knuckles, I'd be able to get more, but I'm close enough as it is before runnin the chance of the dogbone poppin out. Basically, all I did was rotate the steering servo around 180*. The way it was sittin before, the servo arm was hittin the brace for the tank plate and wasn't allowing full throw, for what was available. Here are the pics.

Here are the before pics.
106_1058.JPG

106_1067.JPG

Here are the reworked steering servo pics. Also, in the first pic, you can see how close the servo sits to the skid plate.
106_1203.JPG

106_1204.JPG

And here is a pic of 2 of the fully assembled Cen GST 7.7 alum option shocks.
106_1205.JPG

Enjoy and I'll post pics once I fit the new shocks on the savvy.

Ran the savvy last weekend. Only got 1 tank in before the spring in the pullstart broke. Hopefuly gonna try runnin again this weekend and finish up the fuel I have left. Which is only about maybe 3 tanks worth. I'm gonna try and get some vid of it. Once I finish off the fuel, I'm gonna pull the LST shocks off and install the Cens. Then, I just gotta wait til I'm able to get more fuel. There are no LHSs here that cary Byrons fuel, so I gotta order it online.

Here are the pics of the new Cen GST 7.7 alum option upgrade shocks. The build quality of them is great. Very easy to build. I got them for less than $60 with shipping from ebay awhile ago. They are about the same size (by looks) as the HPI BB but are shorter in length. I posted in a previous post with what wt oil I used and the springs I used. Also, here are a couple pics of the cheap wheely bar I made. I was gettin tired of draggin and grindin up the wing. It's definately funny lookin, but works. I also was able to get some vids taken last weekend and will try to edit and get them uploaded to youtube. So, stay tuned for those vids. And now, time for some pics.

View of both front shocks.
106_1211.JPG

Close up of one front shock.
106_1212.JPG

Sittin on the stand to show full suspension extended.
106_1214.JPG

Front view, almost ground level, to show ride height.
106_1218.JPG

Front 3/4 angle to show ride height.
106_1219.JPG

Rear 3/4 view to show ride height.
106_1220.JPG

Rear pic to show shocks and wheely bar.
106_1215.JPG

Close up of one of the wheels from the wheely bar.
106_1216.JPG

Hope you enjoy the pics. I'll do another post explaining about the wheel bar.

About the wheely bar. Well, I guess you can't actually call it a wheely bar, but more like a wheely wing. I was gettin tired of draggin, grindin, and tearin up the wing from wheelies so I came up the idea of incorporating a wheely bar to keep the wing off the pavement. Not wanting the traditional style wheely bar and have the extra weight of the plate, I decided to try and find some wheels that would be durable enough to mount on the wing. Went to the LHS and found some 2" diam airplane wheels. I took my savvy with me to make sure I got the right size wheel so it didn't look too odd. So I got 2 2" wheels, the axle that they mount on, and the stop collars to keep the wheels on. Found good placement for the axle, drilled the hle in the wing and mounted the axle. The axle shaft was about 2" long so I broke out the dremel with a cut off wheel and cut the shaft down so there wasn't so much sticking out past the wheel. Had to drill out the wheel hole just a tad so that it would spin a little more freely. Mounted the wheels, installed the collars, and viola.....Wheely wing. It works pretty good, not as stable as if they were mounted to a plate, but they work. Proof will be in the vid once I get it edited (if I can) and uploaded to youtube.

Finally got all the vid clips edited. Went from about 22-24 min of clips down to 9 min. I'll post it here and in my vid thread either later tonight or tom. So, stay tuned.

Latest and Greatest Vid of the IRC Savvy....Only vid actually.

[YOUTUBE]VU4AdID8NYA[/YOUTUBE]

Hope you guys enjoy. There was actually about 22-24 min of total vid shot in numerous clips. I edited a bunch of the more boring stuff out and a ton of shots that were out of focus. This also my first edited vid and used my PS3 to edit and load to youtube. Not that many edit features in the PS3 program but was all I had to use. Don't have a strong, let alone, fast enough comp yet for better editing programs. Hopefully in the future. And, of course, I left most of the hilarious commentary that my buddy always adds to the vids.

looks like it goes pretty good. truck looks awesome to by the way

Thanks, Mickey. It was runnin real rich on the first tank, which was the first part vid with the jumps. When I was on the second tank, it was runnin great, still a tad rich, but was hittin 3rd gear. The last tank, the part in the vid when it's dark out, it was runnin almost dead perfect. There was good smoke comin out and the temps were 165-180*. Of course, the change in tune had to do with the temp outside. The temp dropped about 15*, went from 80* down to the low 60's.

Update. Got all the pics fixed for those who wanna see them and doin a IRC build. But, the truck hasn't been ran in almost 2 years. Gonna run it soon hopefully.

that is sick ride my man .. how long did it take to get your tvp from rob .. i ordered same kit .same mid tank kit and all my man .. i wont copy too much .. lol and quirks about them i should know about ?

Looooong over due update on this truck. Hasn't been ran in over 4 years and just ran it a few weeks ago. Now, keep in mind, I DIDN'T prep it for storage by adding after run oil or any of that long time storage procedures. Before I ran it, I pulled the motor and took it apart to see how bad the inside looked. Also needed to replace the pull start, but was able to make it work for a test run. Still need to get a new one. It was seized (piston wouldn't move at all). So, dropped a bit of after run oil it and let it sit over night. Next day, started rotating the flywheel with a pair of pliers VERY slowly. It did loosen up, but not enough. So, added some more ARO and tried again the next day. After a few days, it was finally spinnin free enough. Put everything back together and with the motor resealed, it still had good compression. It did take a little bit of time to get the motor fired up. I should replace the glow plug and not have a prefectly workin pull start was the reasoning. Once I got it started, the tune was crazy. After a few min of runnin, it kept stallin out. But would restart on the 2nd or 3rd pull. Gonna take a bit of time to get back runnin right and still need to replace the plug and pull start. I've been runnin Byron's fuel and will be runnin that from now on. I was really surprised to see the motor was still in pretty good shape considering the fact that it was improperly stored. There was zero rust on the internals and only visible rust was from the one way bearing. Which needed a long deep soaking bath in cleaner to get workin again. Hopefully I'll be able to get it fixed in the near future and start runnin it more again like I used to.

SorryNotSorry for bring the thread back from the dead :) BUT!

I have to know where you got that throttle linkage setup from! I have an IRC mid-tank modded truck, but the throttle linkage I used (stock stuff, mostly) is so sloppy now I cant adjust it out anymore. That bellcrank setup you have in your first pics looks spectacular....what parts were used for it?

Thanks.

Haven't updated this is quite some time. Gonna try and get some run time in within the next week. Was told about a new spot in the city where I live that's a work in progress. It's 6 or 8 acres and so far they built a dirt oval track, sand pit drag strip, crawler course, and working building a freestyle bash area. Gonna take my son and a buddy of mine is gonna go too and check it tom if it doesn't rain.

Latest posts

Members online

Back