IRC mid-tank. Build name to be determined.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xtremsavage

OG HPISF MEMBER!!!!!
I've got another mid-tank build happening. This time around I will be using IRC TVPs and their mid-tank kit. Plus, there will be a bunch of other changes made to the truck as the build goes and money/parts arrive. This is goin to be a lengthy rebuild due to the fact that I'm only home on weekends and also need to spend time with my wife. So, it may be a month or two before it's actually all finished. Here's the starter pics........

The first few pics are going to be what it somewhat looked like before I started tearing it down. It's basically stock TVPs with an old school mid-tank (which I've got a thread on that too).

106_0936.jpg

106_0944.jpg

Pic of IRC TVPs, motor plate, skid plate, mid-tank kit, and IRC front & rear dogbones.
106_1004.jpg

Close-up of the IRC TVPs.

106_1005.jpg

Cloe-up of the motor plate and skid plate. The motor plate and cross braces are machined out of one peice, so no screws holding the motor plate braces to the motor plate.
106_1006.jpg

Cloe-up of the IRC mid-tank kit. The silver tank posts and silver battery box bracket will be switched out for black anodized ones. Rob didn't have any back from being anodized, so he sent silver til the black ones came in. And they are already on their way to me.

106_1007.jpg

Hpi sway bar set for the savage
106_1008.jpg

Losi LST XXL shocks with extra springs of a different rate.
106_1009.jpg

What's not pictured is a new trans case (everybody should know what it looks like, so no need for a pic), Ofna 250cc tank, and that's all I've been able to get so far. More info and pics will be posted as they become available. Any questions and comments are more than welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quality! I do love IRC gear, esp their black ano stuff.

I use their engine plate too and love it, definately a fit and forget item, just a shame it took 2 cracked X plates to make me buy it lol

I tried to get one of them yellow steering links but they seemed to be permanently out of stock at the time i was building my truck, so i got the Baja link instead.

Interested to see how you do the sway bar set on RPM arms.

looks very nice. cant wait to see it come together. I'm a build thread junky, i love watching others projects come together.

Sorry, getting this thread started was about as far as I got over the weekend. Only thing I managed to get done was spray the truck down with nitro cleaner and blow off what I could with the compressor. Gonna try and get some of it broke down this weekend. More to come, you all just have to wait. Sorry

Got a little more updating to do and with pics of new parts that arrived this week awaiting my return home from work.

First up is a pick of the replacement fuel tank posts and battery box bracket in black anodizing. These will be replacing the silver ones in the previous pics.

106_1010.jpg

Next up is a pic of the awaited RSC. It hasn't been re-anodized yet, but will be shortly. I need to mod the steering knuckle that Matt showed everybody how to do in his thread. I'm just waiting for the pics to be reposted so I can see what needs done.
106_1011.jpg

Also, if anybody can answer this for me before I have them re-anodized. Which would be better for the long run and durability, having them re-anodized or powder coated? Any help on this would be great.

Next up is a pic of the whole IRC LST shock mount kit. In black anodizing of course.
106_1012.jpg

Next up, close-up of the upper shock mount brackets. The two in the bottom half of the pic are the ones that mount to the shock tower. The two in the top half of the pic are the ones that mount to the outside after the shock.

106_1013.jpg

And last, is a close-up pic of the lower shock mounts for the X-style A-arms. The one in the top of the pic is a side view of the mount. It's actually upside down in the pic. Didn't realize until I looked at the pics. The bottom pic is the side that will sit on the A-arm. So, basically, a bottom view.
106_1014.jpg

That's all for now. That's for looking and hope you all like the build so far. Even though nothing has been built yet. Just part orders being posted.

can you pm me with the part # for the suspension kit i want to order one in

That thing is gonna look sweet. What tank setup are you going with?

I'm gonna be using the Ofna 250cc tank.

can ytou pm me with the part # for the suspenchion kit i want to order one in

HPI #87245. I got mine from TCS $136 w/shipping. Also, my atomic has them for $139 I believe w/ free shipping.

TCS Link. It shipped on Monday from Arizona and it was delivered on Weds. to Jacksonville, Fl. I also ordered it on a Sat. and still shipped next business day.
http://www.tcscrawlers.com/HPI-Savage-Suspension-Conversion-Set-87245-p-17706.html

My Atomic Hobby. The price went up to $189 but still free shipping. It's did that the last time they were out of stock (which they are now) then it dropped back down when they got more in.
http://www.myatomic.com/catalog/viewsku?sku=HPI87245&q=87245

But, your best bet would be to get it from TCS.

Awesome i to love the IRC set up thats the one i got on my savvy.

Along with them losi Aftershocks.
Very good decision.

Awesome i to love the IRC set up thats the one i got on my savvy.

Along with them losi Aftershocks.
Very good decision.

Thanks for the compliment. I've been wanting to get the IRC set-up for the past 2 yrs. And since I've bent stock and custom TVPs that I made, I was finally able to get them. Hopefuly I'll have the truck done and up and runnin.

Got a very little bit of work done this weekend. Only thing I was able to get done was mod the bulks for the RSC and get the RSC modded itself. For those that don't know what I'm talking about, the nub on the steering knuckle got trimmed down a little and to match the angle of the carrier to add more steering throw. This only has to be done on the newer versions of the RSC with single hole tie-rod bolt points. Photobucket is having issues, so I can't get the pics uploaded yet. Once they are uploaded, I'll post them here.

jr can we see a few pics of how the receiver box mounts up? I'm having a hard time visualizing it.

nice man.. can we get some close up on the rx box and all that.

I can try and get the pics this weekend. I'm currently out of town (work every week) but I'll try. If I don't get the pics this weekend, it'll definately be done the following. Reason being, my wife was out of town last weekend and I'm gonna spend time with her this weekend, but I'll do what I can.

jr can we see a few pics of how the receiver box mounts up? I'm having a hard time visualizing it.

Freddy, I just tried checkin IRCs website to see if I could find some good pics, but no go. Like I said above, I'll see what I can do.

Here you go guys, I found these threads on here in the mid-tank section. It's the best I can do for the time being. If yoiu still want me to take pics, LMK

https://www.hpisavageforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11826

The other thread was by HS Darkshine but the pics in his thread have been either deleted or removed. Hope these help for now.

nice build you got going on there

Black RSC (hypnotiq is jealuos heehee)

Well guys, it's been a bit since I last updated this build mainly because I've been waiting on parts to be delivered. I finally got mt RSC and other parts back from being re-anodized black and they look great. Looks as if they came that way. Now for the pics.

RSC front and rear hub assemblies and the upper arm mounts.
106_1027.jpg

RSC spacers, ex. mount, ant. mount, and part of the carb. adapter. I'm missing the stand that goes between the top and bottom peices. I'm checking with the guy that ano'd my parts to see if he has it or if I just lost/misplaced it before i sent it to him.

106_1028.jpg

Nova motor mount, chassis cross braces for the bulkhead plates, and the lower arm hinge pin braces.
106_1029.jpg

Hope you guys like the pics. The quality of the ano work is top notch.
Also forgot to take pics of the PRC bulkhead plates and the PRC wing mount. I believe everybody has already seen these though, but I'll take pics later and post them. Or I'll wait until I get the braces mounted to them and then post them.

lets hope the parts didnt loose there strength when you ano you take a bout a mm of material away looks good by the way

I don't think it'll affect it any. Everybody that has posted in the other thread said they should be fine and that having them re-anodized instead of powder coated would be better.

Latest posts

Members online

Back