Got a new engine for my savage, LRP ZR.30

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My experience so far with the LRP 30 spec 2 with 3/4 gallon of byron gen2 race and using LRP R5 and OS #8 plugs in Savage X 4.6 with bottom fuel tank outlet mod and everything air tight has been challenging. The line between over heating with vapor locking and being set too rich to run is razor thin in hot and humid weather. My K4.6 although less powerful is a noticeably sweeter running engine than my LRP. I wish there was a practical way to mount my OS max! I'm having fun with it tho and am going to experiment with higher nitro fuel and/or colder glow plugs. If I find a decent combination for this finicky engine I will post it.

My experience so far with the LRP 30 spec 2 with 3/4 gallon of byron gen2 race and using LRP R5 and OS #8 plugs in Savage X 4.6 with bottom fuel tank outlet mod and everything air tight has been challenging. The line between over heating with vapor locking and being set too rich to run is razor thin in hot and humid weather. My K4.6 although less powerful is a noticeably sweeter running engine than my LRP. I wish there was a practical way to mount my OS max! I'm having fun with it tho and am going to experiment with higher nitro fuel and/or colder glow plugs. If I find a decent combination for this finicky engine I will post it.
Os 30?

No my OS .21 xz-b ver.2 I use when I race buggy. It's a little spendy but it rips and is so consistent and predictable to tune and run.
My os 30vg is the best engine I've ever had the pleasure of running in my savage. Never run a Lrp to compare it too. But from what I read Lrp is the best bang for the buck.

My os 30vg is the best engine I've ever had the pleasure of running in my savage. Never run a Lrp to compare it too. But from what I read Lrp is the best bang for the buck.
Thanks for the info on the VG! I read a lot of glowing reviews for the LRP so I bought one. I wish I'd gone with my instinct instead and bought the OS.

Well I'm running the stock tank its a 3 speed xl and I'm running byrons 30% and 16% caster with an os8 plug. Yesterday i couldnt even get it to accelerate with out it loading up and dieying let alone get to idle without the glow ignitor. Now I'm getting it to run but its got no speed just alot of low end torque. No matter how much i richen or lean it i cant seem to find the sweet spot. Once i start leaning it then it bogs down i fatn it up and i get alittle speed but not much. Just seems to me its definately a tuning issue and ive read on other forums the lrp or manuel on this motor stock setting where way off but i cant seem to find anyone with sum helpful tuning settings for this motor. Have you or do you know anyone that has or had the lrp zr30x motor?

A fellow basher had one in his LST2 many years ago. Was a friend of a friend and I only bashed with him a couple times. Our machines were geared so differently, that it's not a good comparison. I had an LRP28S3 in my aftershock at the time and would smoke him off the line and at top speed. He was annoyed to say the least but his rig overall was way closer to stock than mine. I had far taller gearing, but revo sized tires on mine. So, far less rotational mass and gearing that had a faster top speed than a stock LST2 with stock tires. I threw muggy tires on mine once and hated how much like a hog it felt. Engine was very labored, steering was very slow feeling, so clearly the 30 he had in his had more torque as his hole shot was a lot better than mine with muggy tires and +1 gearing over stock.

Anyway, how much fuel have you run through your engine so far since new? Did you tear the engine down and seal it all up?

Not sure what else you need:
2016-0603-SavageX-OFNA19076TankOnly.jpg

For the front mount, I used a 4 or 5mm bolt that was long and only had threads on half for the throttle arm to pivot on. I drilled out the throttle pivot mount so the bolt would go through entirely without splitting it. Then I drilled on the front hole on the tank to be large enough for the bolt and fuel tubing around the bolt for shock absorption. a bolt, washer, fuel tubing, and locknut. For the rear, I took a piece of 5/16 round bar and made an L bracket, used a 3mm bolt/nut/wash through the rear flange of the tank for shock absorption again and used a previously made hole through the TVP to tie the L bar to the chassis.

Thanks for the explanation @olds97_lss I was looking for a picture from the top, but I think your explanation covered my questions. It was mainly the custom L bracket that you had made. Once I got the tank out and looked at it, I knew it wouldn't mount up without customization. I just wanted to make sure what I got was indeed an 19076, but from your description I'm pretty sure I did.

Well I'm running the stock tank its a 3 speed xl and I'm running byrons 30% and 16% caster with an os8 plug. Yesterday i couldnt even get it to accelerate with out it loading up and dieying let alone get to idle without the glow ignitor. Now I'm getting it to run but its got no speed just alot of low end torque. No matter how much i richen or lean it i cant seem to find the sweet spot. Once i start leaning it then it bogs down i fatn it up and i get alittle speed but not much. Just seems to me its definately a tuning issue and ive read on other forums the lrp or manuel on this motor stock setting where way off but i cant seem to find anyone with sum helpful tuning settings for this motor. Have you or do you know anyone that has or had the lrp zr30x motor?

Running a medium plug on 30% nitro in that engine may be a bit much. I run a cold plug on my LRP with 30%. I would try either a medium-cold or cold plug and see what that does for you.

Thanks for the explanation @olds97_lss I was looking for a picture from the top, but I think your explanation covered my questions. It was mainly the custom L bracket that you had made. Once I got the tank out and looked at it, I knew it wouldn't mount up without customization. I just wanted to make sure what I got was indeed an 19076, but from your description I'm pretty sure I did.
I see. Here's a couple more close ups of the front/rear mount:
2016-0711-SavageX-OFNA19076TankFront.jpg

2016-0711-SavageX-OFNA19076TankRear.jpg

New Era used to make a mount for the Ofna tank for the Savage. I don't currently have mine installed, but here is a random photo I found of one on the net:

upload_2016-7-11_10-4-9.png

Just a bracket attached to the screws for the engine plate braces and some stand-offs.

Thanks @olds97_lss and X. I did a quick search and have found several forums discussing the New Era mount, but can't seem to find one to buy. I'm not at home to check, but does the body not have issues fitting as this tank sits farther than the stock tank? Or does the body sit high enough it doesn't matter?

Thanks @olds97_lss and X. I did a quick search and have found several forums discussing the New Era mount, but can't seem to find one to buy. I'm not at home to check, but does the body not have issues fitting as this tank sits farther than the stock tank? Or does the body sit high enough it doesn't matter?

Pretty sure New Era went out of business a long time ago. I never had fit issues with my New Era mount and a stock Savage body.

Figured as much. Was just hoping to catch one on Ebay. Don't have much time to "wrench" on my RC's let alone fabricate. I was hoping to have more time since I'm not taking any classes the second part of summer, but no luck. I'll get it squared away though.

I can get to it pretty easy through the top. Not sure if my body is cut different than stock... probably is a bit.

2016-0711-SavageX-OFNA19076TankTopBodyOn.jpg

2016-0711-SavageX-OFNA19076TankSideBodyOn.jpg

I have the body mounts as low as they will go with the HPI engine roll cage thing installed.

I can get to it pretty easy through the top. Not sure if my body is cut different than stock... probably is a bit.

2016-0711-SavageX-OFNA19076TankTopBodyOn.jpg

2016-0711-SavageX-OFNA19076TankSideBodyOn.jpg

I have the body mounts as low as they will go with the HPI engine roll cage thing installed.

I'm running an original 25 body. The back doesn't flare out like that. I'll get it squared away. The body was the least of my worries. Just thought I'd quickly ask.

Latest posts

Members online

Back