FLM/Mugen/CEN Savage Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the half tank lean issue arises when the tank isnt fully above or below the carb opening. the hpi design doesnt help this factor. i have a cen matrix 125cc tank in my truck, and the half tank lean is still there, but ever so slightly that it doesnt affect performance.

I'm assuming that mugen tank takes care of your half tank lean problem as well? I want to do a mid tank but don't know if i should go with mugen tank or new era tank...

Yup, it took care of it...it only starts to lean out when the tank is almost empty, just like it should. I've run out of fuel a couple of times while bashing just because I don't get the same warning I used to get with the stock tank!

Yup, it took care of it...it only starts to lean out when the tank is almost empty, just like it should. I've run out of fuel a couple of times while bashing just because I don't get the same warning I used to get with the stock tank!

LOL ive had the Same Experiance with my Hellfire Tank.....:jamout:

The mailman showed up with the last of the parts Monday afternoon (much to my delight). Here's what we have:

From SMF Store (Thanks again Bruce!):
-FLM 45100 Ext. LCG TVPs
-FLM 45110 Skid Plate
-FLM 45700 Engine Mount Plate
-FLM 45500 Servo Plate Kit
-FLM 48000 Steering Link (why not, only $7)
-FLM 46000 Servo Mount (x2)
-FLM 47500 Cross Bar For Skidplates (x2, DON'T get these, included w/TVPs)
-FLM 47000 Cross Bar For Engine Plate (x2)

From eHobbies:
-CEN FF007 Radio Box

From Ebay (too good a deal to pass up):
-Mugen MBX5T Fuel tank, mounts, filter, hardware

From Tower (had HUGE discount code):
-Pro-Line 3230-00 '07 Silverado Crew Cab body

Should attach a price to all this so that people have a basic understanding as to what they are getting into.

how do you like the pipe?
I'm gonna put an STS 28 on mine, and I'm lookin at pipes for it

Awesome build Judge , i just ordered up the bulk of my parts for my winter re-build , GREAT JOB! . expect a pm once & awhile though lol! very well thought out & explained.
Joe

I've looked this build over a couple times now and am really impressed by all the pics and thouroughness of the build. You have done a great job documenting your truck as it changes.

A+++++++

I'm baaaack...

Being that I still have no steering servo, I cannot set up all the wiring yet. So I switched steps.

STEP 5:Throttle and Brake Linkage

After a little more head-scratching and eyeballing, I came up with a nifty setup. I took the throttle mix arm bracket and flipped it around, to keep everything more tucked in. You can see that I had to make a very short link to the carb, but it has full travel. I then re-bent the clevis rods from my previous setup along with the brake lever to make everything line up.

If you look closely at the first pic, you can see that I had to use two washers between the throttle mix arm bracket and the TVP, to get just the right distance to the motor for full travel without binding. You can also see that I shaved off the little nub opposite the screw hole, so the brake linkage wouldn't rub on it. I assume others have done this before, but I haven't seen it. I really liked how it turned out...
flm040fs8.jpg

flm041dj3.jpg

flm042ax8.jpg

flm043yu0.jpg

flm044tm3.jpg

This is probably a stopping point for me, due to lack of (functioning) parts and $$$. Hopefully my last tax return ever will show up next week, and I can buy a GOOD steering servo and a new motor...

Suggestions anyone? I'm thinking an LRP for the motor, and an Ace DS1015 or one of the nice JR servos, something up to around $100 or so.

-Greg

Hey Judge I was woundering what kind of servo horn is that any chance u a part #? Cheers!:beer:

It's made by hanger 9 mine was part # HAN3578 for my JR Radio
I stripped the gold off with easy-off heavy duty oven cleaner & polished it up.
Turned out great.
SL

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome build Judge, just came across your post. Nice attention to detail, it clearly shows and the $ spent.

extreme savage

This is a Savage risen from the dead!! :shocked:
This is by far the finest savage mod that I have seen. Excellent quality workmanship and brilliant attention to details. Your pictures are very clear and details are precise and easy to understand. :resp:

HPI engineering dept. start to take notes! :stickspank:

This Sabage is Baaaddd!!! the book

Judge,

Great build! I did my mid-tank mod after yours and I have a couple of questions. When you jump, are you noticing that the savage is now nose diving from all the extra weight in the front? Or do you fix it by adding/counter balancing other stuff in the back?

I'm trying to get as balanced as possible but finding it difficult to accomplish wit this mod.

More throttle will keep the nose up. It is a weight transfer but you will get the hang of it.

Hey buddy, Finally finished my MID TANK inspired by yours of course. The only diffrence is mine isn't the extended version, it's stock size. Some extra cutting,servo placing drilling was needed but it looks like yours. My buddys love it. All credit to u Cheers!

Will the FLM servo plate fit the HPI black LCG plates? This looks like a great mod, much better than some of the other mid-tank mods.

looks Like He's Here To Me!! Lmao

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back