FLM/Mugen/CEN Savage Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, since my Savage is continuing to evolve, I'm going to put it in this thread. I have posted these pics in another thread recently, but in the name of continuity, I'll recycle a few here...

I finally upgraded the motor to an LRP, and also added Nova's cooling head, motor mount and clutch shoes, Mugen 1.0mm springs and nut, as well as a THS #8025 pipe, an HPI 17T CB, and related shims and bearings. Here's the goodies:
LRPZ28RSpec3001.jpg

As beautiful and nicely-made as everything was, I still had to mod just a bit...The LRP's backplate is so large, I had to clearance the RR corner of the engine mount.
LRPZ28RSpec3011-1.jpg

Here's everything ready to go...note the spring-coupler on the THS setup. That alone almost made the pipe worth it to me.
LRPZ28RSpec3008.jpg

LRPZ28RSpec3011.jpg

Everything bolted up easily, although the engine mount took a little more time than the stock one, due to the use of nuts and bolts. No biggie though.
While I was at it, I re-configured the fuel lines to shorten them and tidy them up a little more...
LRPZ28RSpec3014.jpg

Just a couple of assembled pics to complete this stage...
LRPZ28RSpec3012.jpg

LRPZ28RSpec3015.jpg

So far, everything is fully operational, and I just finished breaking-in the motor. I'm ready to tune and have some more fun...There's more coming in the not-too distant future, and I'll update this yet some more!

looking super nice Greg. Liken all those parts. What else do you have in mind for it? You knwo a pic is worth a thous. words, so what's up with the piston and sleeve? Got me scratchin

Again, thanks a lot for the kind words guys, much appreciated!

]-[0pa]0ng;68614 said:
looking super nice Greg. Liken all those parts. What else do you have in mind for it? You knwo a pic is worth a thous. words, so what's up with the piston and sleeve? Got me scratchin

Thanks to you for helping me get some of those parts too!

Next will be some Integy rear carriers to ditch the tie-rods back there...they're on the way, I grabbed the first set that finally showed up on Ebay. Later that might be GPM hubs and uprights for up front (I hear they're very tough), and some shocks...If HPI waits too long to release the big-bores, I want to look into mounting Baja 5B front shocks all around. (LOL, anybody have some for sale?) Beyond that, I guess I'll upgrade the drivetrain as it breaks, LOL! Whatever it is, you'll see it here.

The piston and sleeve? It's the old one from the F4.6 I just rebuilt for a spare. When I get bored enough, you know I'll have to bust out the Dremel and play!

All I have left are the rear Baja shocks. John took the front 2 I had for his build.

Apparently Integy is back in production...Like I said, I found them on Ebay a couple of days ago, and their site says they have 'em too, at least today they did...

If HPI waits too long to release the big-bores, I want to look into mounting Baja 5B front shocks all around.

Do you know of anyone who has tried the baja shocks on a savage. I would be curious to see it if works.
With the integy hub carriers do you have to change turnbuckles? what else do you need to swap them out?

Last edited by a moderator:
A few days ago, the mailman brought me my Integy rear hub carriers. They came with new lower hinge pins (threaded on both ends), spacers for said pins, and screws & nuts for the upper arms.

They look pretty solidly made (we'll see about that! :devil-smiley-007:), and they're light as well: Everything in the Integy parts weighed 2.1 oz., versus 4.8 oz. for the parts they replaced.

DSC01122.jpg

DSC01123.jpg

DSC01129.jpg

The only thing I didn't like was that there was some front-to-back slop on the lower hinge pins, like the spacers were alomost but not quite long enough. I took care of this with a shim inside each rear arm, towards the front:
DSC01125.jpg

DSC01126.jpg

Other than that, the carriers gave me no installation problems at all...the hingepin and the bearings fit nicely. I'll report back on how they stand up to bashing, but I have other stuff on the way that I'll put on before I take the truck out. Stay tuned...

The rear hubs are really nice. I'm runnin a set right now. Mine didn't come with a bolt for the lower hinge point, it came with a hinge pin w/e-clips. It also had small shim like washer, incase there was a little slop in the lower hinge point.

The rear hubs are really nice. I'm runnin a set right now. Mine didn't come with a bolt for the lower hinge point, it came with a hinge pin w/e-clips. It also had small shim like washer, incase there was a little slop in the lower hinge point.

Yeah, Integy must have changed something...the lowers are hinge pins on mine, they are just threaded down to 3mm at the ends instead of being grooved for E-clips. I didn't get any shim washers in the package though. :dunno:

I know their first batch of them had machineing problems, but were corrected. Maybe they changed the mounting hardware at the same time. The bearing holes weren't lined up and the axle would bind.

I'm at the point where I can start leaning the motor out...I haven't ran it in a bit due to further upgrades, but so far it's spinning all 4 of my GT2 tires on pavement when I take off. I put the wheelie bar back on for what's to come!

Here's another quick update to bring this thread to my Savage's current status. Once again, I'm recycling some pics, but it's all good!

The next parts to go on were GPM's aluminum steering blocks and C-hubs...Nice and strong, and they give a lot more steering...
GPMKnucklesandCarriers001.jpg

GPMKnucklesandCarriers010.jpg

GPMKnucklesandCarriers011.jpg

GPMKnucklesandCarriers012.jpg

GPMKnucklesandCarriers013.jpg

(Link to thread... https://www.hpisavageforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6820 )

Right after that, I got a sweet set of sway bars from Blue Groove Concepts. They fit my FLM chassis setup just fine:
BlueGrooveSwayBars002.jpg

BlueGrooveSwayBars011.jpg

BlueGrooveSwayBars012.jpg

Link to thread... https://www.hpisavageforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6825 )

And a picture of how things currently look...
BlueGrooveSwayBars014.jpg

These last two mods should pay great dividends in the handling department. I will keep each respective thread updated with results just as soon as I can find the time to run my truck...hopefully VERY soon!

Judge, i am looking into the FLM TVP's found your build and you answered many other questions that i had, with photos. thanks for putting so much time into making a great thread..really helped me out. And, you have an unbelievable Savage.

Here's another quick update to bring this thread to my Savage's current status. Once again, I'm recycling some pics, but it's all good!

The next parts to go on were GPM's aluminum steering blocks and C-hubs...Nice and strong, and they give a lot more steering...
GPMKnucklesandCarriers001.jpg

How much was the set and where did you purchase them?

Go-to, I got them on Ebay...the seller was mega-rc_guy. I paid a little under $40 total for both sets.

I'm assuming that mugen tank takes care of your half tank lean problem as well? I want to do a mid tank but don't know if i should go with mugen tank or new era tank...

Latest posts

Members online

Back