Show off your Savage XS!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Currently waiting on lower arm set and hinge pins. Nailed a hidden concrete parking thing:banghead: in tallish grass and bent the hinge pin so bad it broke the arm:fight:.

I ordered the part from ebay, should be here on the 9th but once those parts get here it shouldn't take very long. hopefully no longer than a half an hour or so but then again I've never replaced the hinge pin before so.... hopefully it all goes smooth.

That's not too bad I find parts orders usually take easy 2+ weeks to arrive so bloody annoying waiting as no parts ever in oz

Been waiting for 4 weeks on stuff sent priority from USA

Ebay seems to be quicker (for me anyways) and I usually always find the parts I need.

I've got a couple of XS, one for me and one for my son.
GOPR0004-0001.JPG LMP_5224.jpg GP012446-0001.jpg DSC_3828.JPG
His is almost standard, just some HD components, CVD's and Big Joes.

Mine has a few more upgrades.

GPM Aluminium Shocks
GPM Hubs
Traxxas 2075 Servo
CVD's
HD Centre Drive Cups
Spektrum DX4S radio with AVC
Awaiting Castle 3800kv motor
Big Joe 2 tyres
Armourfend on body roof

IMHO the best upgrades were the Big Joes, followed by the Spektrum. The Big Joes are superb value and are leagues beyond the standard crap. The AVC is just amazing, gives an unbelievable amount of control on the loose stuff. Really helps when lining up jumps and even gives extra stability in the air.

I wouldn't bother with the aluminium upgrades, already had two front hubs fail and have resorted back to plastic. The shocks don't really offer enough to be worth the cost.

Last edited:
I was thinking about getting these
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alloy-Front...868090?hash=item2ec681737a:g:rg8AAOxyQj9RJEqK

But as cool as they look and as tough as they are it would just cause something else to break in a crash.
I have been wondering about those Big Joe's. Ive seen a bunch of pictures with people using them and now after hearing a little feedback on em I definitely want them. How much did you guys pay for em? Ive seen em on ebay with rims for right at $60 for set of 4 with rims but am not sure how much they should cost.

I paid £50 (GBP) for the Big Joes, inc tax in the UK. Typical price conversion means that I would expect to pay $50 plus tax in the US.

I paid £50 (GBP) for the Big Joes, inc tax in the UK. Typical price conversion means that I would expect to pay $50 plus tax in the US.
Are they well worth buying them? Are they much better than the stock tires/rims?

Are they well worth buying them? Are they much better than the stock tires/rims?
Absolutely. More grip in all conditions, harder wearing and look better too. The only downside is that in high grip situations they are almost too grippy which can lead to rolling if you are not careful.

Don't bother with alloy it will just bend where plastic has a bit of flexability

Agree ^ first few batteries they are almost to grippy
But they wear in nicely

A lot of us on here run them seems to be the go to combo

100% better

Burn the oem rim/tyres in a fire

I've got a couple of XS, one for me and one for my son.
View attachment 2880 View attachment 2881 View attachment 2882 View attachment 2883
His is almost standard, just some HD components, CVD's and Big Joes.

Mine has a few more upgrades.

GPM Aluminium Shocks
GPM Hubs
Traxxas 2075 Servo
CVD's
HD Centre Drive Cups
Spektrum DX4S radio with AVC
Awaiting Castle 3800kv motor
Big Joe 2 tyres
Armourfend on body roof

IMHO the best upgrades were the Big Joes, followed by the Spektrum. The Big Joes are superb value and are leagues beyond the standard crap. The AVC is just amazing, gives an unbelievable amount of control on the loose stuff. Really helps when lining up jumps and even gives extra stability in the air.

I wouldn't bother with the aluminium upgrades, already had two front hubs fail and have resorted back to plastic. The shocks don't really offer enough to be worth the cost.

I just recently got an AVS receiver with a Losi Mini 8ight and I don'the really care for it, but using it for a very different reason than you are. I might swap it out for my XS and see what I think of it.

Big Joes are the business. Keep the stock for drifting / donutting on gravel and dirt though :)

Big Bud, ripping out the suspension arm and bending the pin was my 2nd proper breakage. It does take a bit of stripping down to get the next pin and arm in but it all works fairly smoothly. FWIW unless the pin is really bad I could bend it back with a pair of pliers and a hard surface, pliers and a vice would help though. Aluminium arms tempted me but they were pricey and I understood the principle that something else would break (probably at the wheel end as the pins are into chunky metal braces around the diff).

Autographic - nice pics man!! They show some great action, although I don't envy the cleaning up afterwards :eek:

thanks fiend. I just fixed it last night. A LOT easier than I thought it was going to be.

I never had stock tires on mine, so I can't really compare. I do really like my big Joes though.

Finally ordered the hpi SS-40 servo (got it for $34.95 and free shipping) and the Big Joes for $52.75 with free shipping. Both should be here on the 20th which is friday I believe. Cant wait.

Finally ordered the hpi SS-40 servo (got it for $34.95 and free shipping) and the Big Joes for $52.75 with free shipping. Both should be here on the 20th which is friday I believe. Cant wait.
Where did you find that servo new (they are out everywhere)?

JRC on eBay? If so, you got the last one

Last edited:
I'm trying to put on this servo but I have got something wrong. Its in a bind or something. I probably it on backwards or upside down or something.
On your truck with the servo and motor visible and facing you what direction do the wires come out of your servo to the right or the left?
I got to take a 20 min break before I accidentally break something.

BigBud, take your manual are look for the section on servo replacement. there should be some text and possibly a picture or 2 to help you

BigBud, take your manual are look for the section on servo replacement. there should be some text and possibly a picture or 2 to help you

I did. It doesnt show the wires just where the servo is. All good though. I'll figure it out.

Just finished up some small upgrades on mine. I would post a pic but other than the tires you wouldn't really see much.
.Big Joe tires on desperado rims.
.SS-40 servo
.Adjustable upper arms
.replaced lower arms and hinge pins

The servo was a direct fit other than I needed a different screw that goes in the middle of the 25 tooth gear that the servo did not come with. That servo didn't come with anything other than the servo itself. I thought they usually came with attachments and such.

Just got my Savage XS in today and already bashed it up real nice. Got the hang of standing backflips pretty well. All in all ots a very fun little truck. I will post more info later.

$_3.JPG 20170209_180323.jpg 20170209_180354.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Back