Show off your Savage XS!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boost13az is purple, I am going orange. I'm happy with the body colour but inordinately, childishly happy with the matching orange wheel nuts :D. Apart from cosmetics, the only mod is a Ss-40wp servo which really isn't that exciting in photos...

carorange1.jpg carorange2.jpg

Got my T Bone Racing front & rear bumpers w the wheely bar for the extra (much needed) protection. Getting ready for the maiden voyage w the Warp 5700kv. Super stoked! 20161008_152637.jpg

My dumb ass put it all back together, drop it down, pull the trigger - truck takes off like a bat outa hell! Then rolls to a stop 200 ft away! Gosh darn receiver antenna got wrapped up in the drive cup and rips out! Game over! Put me on the fail list.
Had to order another. I found a spectrum setup for the same price. Should be here by the end of the week. I most definitely will post video when I get it going again.
I was able to use the truck on the stand for quite awhile making last minute adjustments and it never got hot. Actually sounded better than it did stock. According to hpi it shouldn't be an issue with the gear swap. So we'll see when I put a load on it.
BUT yeah, I felt like a big dummy. I must've been excited. Lol

My dumb ass put it all back together, drop it down, pull the trigger - truck takes off like a bat outa hell! Then rolls to a stop 200 ft away! Gosh darn receiver antenna got wrapped up in the drive cup and rips out! Game over! Put me on the fail list.
Had to order another. I found a spectrum setup for the same price. Should be here by the end of the week. I most definitely will post video when I get it going again.
I was able to use the truck on the stand for quite awhile making last minute adjustments and it never got hot. Actually sounded better than it did stock. According to hpi it shouldn't be an issue with the gear swap. So we'll see when I put a load on it.
BUT yeah, I felt like a big dummy. I must've been excited. Lol

That sounds like something I would do.

After some research I broke down and purchased a 2s LiPo. Hpi says the esc will do 6000kv on 2s & 4000kv on 3s. We will soon find out. The new stuff is waiting for me at home... I recently purchased a stampede and a extra flux esc plan on putting the 4000kv & extra esc in it. So in theory I will have an extra esc. Only thing I'm worried about melting down is my wife after she finds out how much money I've spent on rc in the last 6 weeks.

@Fiend your truck looks great!
Funny story - I put the vapor pro in my stampede w the 4000kv motor. (Stock Xs system) I ran on 2s for the very first time, the damn vapor pro blew up before I hit the end of the driveway! I thought it was gonna light up my entire truck! Lol!

The orange looks good mate, I'm too lazy to paint em
Not much to update but a shot from recent blast

0F9F2B51-642B-43E9-814D-AC20621C4E8C.jpg

But....but....it's not the right way around :mad::confused::eek:

The most important thing is that the Big Joes are soooooooo much better than the stock tyres. Each time I change over (sometimes run stock on gravel for donuts etc), they impress me.

P.S. Yeah the painting and shell trimming is a lot harder than I expected! Stripping down to diffs felt simpler!

Omg! I can't wait to get you guys a "fly by" video. this little truck runs like nothing else I've ever owned ! I'm having a hard time keeping 30-40 series 2.8 dirt hawgs on it , had to reglue the rears twice now, that's w no ballooning. May have to get some been locks The esc is holding up great.. Temps are in line with specs. The tbr wheely bar is phenomenal ! I can ride wheelys for days at any throttle position. if this truck did 60mph stock on 3s, I wouldn't be surprised if this one is doing 80mph on 2s! it's that ridiculous.very very very difficult to control . it's almost like you squeeze the trigger and start praying you don't hit anything before you can stop, it's like a hydroplane boat the way it lifts up and rides on the edge of destruction every time you squeeze the throttle.
What's the best way to get a video? I've never made one of my rc's

Omg! I can't wait to get you guys a "fly by" video. this little truck runs like nothing else I've ever owned ! I'm having a hard time keeping 30-40 series 2.8 dirt hawgs on it , had to reglue the rears twice now, that's w no ballooning. May have to get some been locks The esc is holding up great.. Temps are in line with specs. The tbr wheely bar is phenomenal ! I can ride wheelys for days at any throttle position. if this truck did 60mph stock on 3s, I wouldn't be surprised if this one is doing 80mph on 2s! it's that ridiculous.very very very difficult to control . it's almost like you squeeze the trigger and start praying you don't hit anything before you can stop, it's like a hydroplane boat the way it lifts up and rides on the edge of destruction every time you squeeze the throttle.
What's the best way to get a video? I've never made one of my rc's
You've sold me on this upgrade. I'll be going to my lhs soon.

Use your smart phone / compact camera in the highest res video possible, get a cheap tripod for single perspective shots or a mate / family member to track the car at speed, the smoother the better. Windows Movie Maker to trim it down to the action and save as a file size suitable for upload.

Check ebay, I think I paid $30 for a brand new hpi warp 5700kv vector motor . if you havnt upgraded just about everything , be prepared to . Lol its pure insanity.. stock up on slipper clutches ! I currently have 2 washers in between the spring and the nut . Works like a charm (start w 1) I have to tighten it after every other 2s pack

Check ebay, I think I paid $30 for a brand new hpi warp 5700kv vector motor . if you havnt upgraded just about everything , be prepared to . Lol its pure insanity.. stock up on slipper clutches ! I currently have 2 washers in between the spring and the nut . Works like a charm (start w 1) I have to tighten it after every other 2s pack

Now I'm intrigued and thinking about swapping mine out.

This is finally done....Pics below. I used white Gorilla tape on the underside of the body. In addition, I did fab sheet metal on the undercarriage for protection. I cut 2+ inches of the antenna tubing too (believe the actual antenna is only a couple inches?). It's still brand new too:woot:

#106730 - HPI Racing Center Universal Drive Shaft Front/Rear (2)
#106709 - HPI Racing Universal Drive Shaft Savage XS Front/Rear (4)
#109922 - HPI Racing HD Cup Joint 5x10x19mm (1)
#109923 - HPI Racing HD Cup Joint 5x10x15mm (1)
#109926 - HPI Racing HD Diff Shaft 5x23.5mm (4)
#110650 - HPI Racing SS-40WP Servo (1)
#106712 - HPI Racing E-Clip Eliminator Suspension Shaft Set
#108169 - HPI Racing Aluminum Threaded Shock Set Front/Rear (4)
#106732 - HPI Racing Adjustable Upper Arm Set (4)
Pro-Line Big Joe II 2.2's Tires (4)
T-Bone Racing Thrasher Front & Rear bumpers (2)

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    295.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    263.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    272.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    293.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    258.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    315.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    334.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    215.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
On my most recent transmission rebuild (happens a lot with the weak slipper) I added a shim for a total of 3 and I tightened it as far as it will go. I still need to get my hands on the 60t spur.

This is finally done....Pics below. I used white Gorilla tape on the underside of the body. In addition, I did fab sheet metal on the undercarriage for protection. I cut 2+ inches of the antenna tubing too (believe the actual antenna is only a couple inches?). It's still brand new too:woot:

#106730 - HPI Racing Center Universal Drive Shaft Front/Rear (2)
#106709 - HPI Racing Universal Drive Shaft Savage XS Front/Rear (4)
#109922 - HPI Racing HD Cup Joint 5x10x19mm (1)
#109923 - HPI Racing HD Cup Joint 5x10x15mm (1)
#109926 - HPI Racing HD Diff Shaft 5x23.5mm (4)
#110650 - HPI Racing SS-40WP Servo (1)
#106712 - HPI Racing E-Clip Eliminator Suspension Shaft Set
#108169 - HPI Racing Aluminum Threaded Shock Set Front/Rear (4)
Pro-Line Big Joe II 2.2's Tires (4)
T-Bone Racing Thrasher Front & Rear bumpers (2)

Just added: #106732 - ADJUSTABLE UPPER ARM SET

Arm Set installed

Attachments

• 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    363.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    391.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    425.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    361.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    372.2 KB · Views: 8
Still brand new/never run:D. Temps have been ice cold and there is rock salt all over the place:angry:

Latest posts

Members online

Back