Savage xl flux v2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh

What are spools and why would you use them in place of differential. I just blew my savage xl flux v2 rear differential.

A spool is a lockout that eliminates the differential action completely, mostly used by Drag Racers and Drifters, I really do not recommend using one in a Savage of any kind, all you going to do is break other things down the line....

Not sure if they are better, more tooth contact is always a good thing, but the Flux V2 XL outta have the BP 29/9 type gears in it from the factory, I would just spring for the BP machined gears and shim them correctly and go from there....
also be aware landing jumps on power is a sure way to blow up diff gears, strip ring gears and pinions and in general destroy your drivetrain so a good practice is to let off the throttle when landing jumps....

I think I was from my son driving it. Found a cracked a arm and badly bent dog bone took a hammer to the dog bone to fix put it together and within 2min. The differential was done.

like jam said get in the habit of getting of the power before landing even if your correcting in the air etc takes a while to pick up but you soon do it automatically etc ;)

Would the spiral gear be any better?
I have spirals in one Savage and haven't found any improvement compared to the bullet proof. Spirals are more difficult to shim because the pinion tries to go into the diff housing during forward and out of the diff housing during reverse. You need to shim both ends of the pinion to control this axial movement.

I have spirals in one Savage and haven't found any improvement compared to the bullet proof. Spirals are more difficult to shim because the pinion tries to go into the diff housing during forward and out of the diff housing during reverse. You need to shim both ends of the pinion to control this axial movement.
I've found that if you use rpm a arms. There is no need for shimming. They're shorter so it holds everything in tighter. If you look at the description on the RPM website they explain this on their website

I will be frank with you. Firsty the savage flux needs shimming in order to get the mesh right between the pinion and the ring gear. Secondly the new flux use the sintered ring, which is inferior the machined ring and pinion that HP had. Thirdly, if you drive on 6s and jumping you would want a center diff e.g. the Alza center diff mount or the King Motor 5SC transmission which has a center diff built into it. Head over to rc4me.us for clone parts that can be used due to HPIs inability to supply the market with parts. And oh, they also sell machined ring and pinion there from king motor as well as hot racing gears.

Even with machined ring and pinion you can still blow the diff if you have a locked gearbox. Gearbox on a MT in 2018 is a joke, you would want center diff for durability. All new MTs has center diff, even traxxas.

I will be frank with you. Firsty the savage flux needs shimming in order to get the mesh right between the pinion and the ring gear. Secondly the new flux use the sintered ring, which is inferior the machined ring and pinion that HP had. Thirdly, if you drive on 6s and jumping you would want a center diff e.g. the Alza center diff mount or the King Motor 5SC transmission which has a center diff built into it. Head over to rc4me.us for clone parts that can be used due to HPIs inability to supply the market with parts. And oh, they also sell machined ring and pinion there from king motor as well as hot racing gears.

Even with machined ring and pinion you can still blow the diff if you have a locked gearbox. Gearbox on a MT in 2018 is a joke, you would want center diff for durability. All new MTs has center diff, even traxxas.
I just caught the link for the ring/pinion from your other post. Have you bought anything from that site? Looks like you just made my savage bashing life a whole lot better! I just fried my last spare pinion this weekend in my flux. Hard landing on 4S.

Will have to look into that 5SC trans. Tired of trying to get the slipper adjusted right to only slip a little. Seems it either slips too much or not at all...

I don't know the quality of King Motor parts but considering they have been around a while in the Baja community I assume the quality is decent. Some even say King Motor invented the Baja concept. I haven't bought from rc4me.us, I live in EU, but it is worth a try.

I just caught the link for the ring/pinion from your other post. Have you bought anything from that site? Looks like you just made my savage bashing life a whole lot better! I just fried my last spare pinion this weekend in my flux. Hard landing on 4S.

Will have to look into that 5SC trans. Tired of trying to get the slipper adjusted right to only slip a little. Seems it either slips too much or not at all...
Please let me know if you buy anything from that site and it works out for you.

I bought the assembled tranny with center diff. I'm impressed so far. I only drive on 6s and its holding up great.
Good to know. I was eyeballing that too. Trying to figure out if I wanted to give the alza kit a try or go with that one from that site. I think the alza kit would make it easier to repair/replace diff parts. I couldn't find anything about the diff on that site that's in the center diff trans case. Would hate to have to buy the whole thing again if the diff blew out.

Latest posts

Members online

Back