1. Ask questions. Share your HPI Savage knowledge. Register TODAY!

Welcome to HPISavageForum, a friendly forum to discuss the Savage RC Truck.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
  • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
  • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting.
  • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Savage xl flux v2

Discussion in 'HPI Savage Flux' started by Josh, May 3, 2018.

1. Josh

Josh Member

What are spools and why would you use them in place of differential. I just blew my savage xl flux v2 rear differential.

2. Jam Racing 1

Jam Racing 1 NPTB Monitor, Master of the known universe....
    HPISF Staff

A spool is a lockout that eliminates the differential action completely, mostly used by Drag Racers and Drifters, I really do not recommend using one in a Savage of any kind, all you going to do is break other things down the line....

• Like Like x 1
  3. Josh

Josh Member

Ok Thanks

4. Josh

Josh Member

Would the spiral gear be any better?

5. Jam Racing 1

Jam Racing 1 NPTB Monitor, Master of the known universe....
    HPISF Staff

Not sure if they are better, more tooth contact is always a good thing, but the Flux V2 XL outta have the BP 29/9 type gears in it from the factory, I would just spring for the BP machined gears and shim them correctly and go from there....
    also be aware landing jumps on power is a sure way to blow up diff gears, strip ring gears and pinions and in general destroy your drivetrain so a good practice is to let off the throttle when landing jumps....

• Like Like x 1
  6. Josh

Josh Member

I think I was from my son driving it. Found a cracked a arm and badly bent dog bone took a hammer to the dog bone to fix put it together and within 2min. The differential was done.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bajadre

Bajadre Member

like jam said get in the habit of getting of the power before landing even if your correcting in the air etc takes a while to pick up but you soon do it automatically etc ;)

8. orzowei69

orzowei69 Member

I have spirals in one Savage and haven't found any improvement compared to the bullet proof. Spirals are more difficult to shim because the pinion tries to go into the diff housing during forward and out of the diff housing during reverse. You need to shim both ends of the pinion to control this axial movement.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Nickshook81

Nickshook81 New Member

I've found that if you use rpm a arms. There is no need for shimming. They're shorter so it holds everything in tighter. If you look at the description on the RPM website they explain this on their website

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1