Savage XL Clutch and Steel Spurs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TDA

Hello Everyone,
I had a short question about the combo toot clutch and Steel Spurs.
Once a "mech" of R/C had changed mine to: 16/52
It's any good or it's better to change it?

Thank you in advice for any suggestions :)

Cheers
TDA

Sigh, your post is severely lacking in content, maybe reading through some of the other gearing threads and reformulating your question into something sensible???

Sigh, your post is severely lacking in content, maybe reading through some of the other gearing threads and reformulating your question into something sensible???
Hello Jam,
Sorry :O
Yes I lacked all the info - was in a Rush and wrote half of the things!

So I've a Savage XL 5.9 (rotor start).
At the moment I've a clutch 16 teeth and a spur with 52.
I was wondering if it's a good setup - or maybe it's better to have a clutch with 16teeth and a spur with 48?

16/52 is pretty low gearing for the 5.9 I would think. Guess it would depend on the tires and terrain you intend on running in.

With an LRP30 or LRP28 on my X with traxxas 3.8" t-maxx tires on it, I try to gear for the various terrains I run on, which is mostly short grass and skate park running. With that, I run 17/47 and can run all day without over taxing the engine or clutch much. I also run alloy clutch shoes and the HPI steel spur. I ran plastic spurs until I got my first LRP and if I tried gearing any taller than 16/49, it would cause it to slip and melt the center out of it when in second gear. So I ran 16/49 for a long time until I got a 47T steel spur, then went even taller with the 17T pinion. It does pretty well with that for most of what I do. I could maybe drop down to a 49T spur since I do run in grass more, but it does ok.

Didn't realize it... last time I ran it was over a year ago. :(

Had a lot more offroad, but the camera didn't focus so I didn't post much of it.

16/52 is pretty low gearing for the 5.9 I would think. Guess it would depend on the tires and terrain you intend on running in.

With an LRP30 or LRP28 on my X with traxxas 3.8" t-maxx tires on it, I try to gear for the various terrains I run on, which is mostly short grass and skate park running. With that, I run 17/47 and can run all day without over taxing the engine or clutch much. I also run alloy clutch shoes and the HPI steel spur. I ran plastic spurs until I got my first LRP and if I tried gearing any taller than 16/49, it would cause it to slip and melt the center out of it when in second gear. So I ran 16/49 for a long time until I got a 47T steel spur, then went even taller with the 17T pinion. It does pretty well with that for most of what I do. I could maybe drop down to a 49T spur since I do run in grass more, but it does ok.

Didn't realize it... last time I ran it was over a year ago. :(

Had a lot more offroad, but the camera didn't focus so I didn't post much of it.

Hello
I use mine almost only for off-roads.
Tires are the HPI GT2.
I was thinking to mount a 16/48 - So I should get a good compromise I think (but I'm not sure)
Also from which manufacturer should I buy it from?

Last edited:
Those tires are pretty narrow/light, so even 16/47 should be pretty easy on the engine regardless of terrain.
Yes but it wanted it to have a good acceleration and a good top speed... so with this setup I think it would get both... right?

Should accelerate well. Do you have the 2 speed trans or 3 speed? I think the 3 speed is geared a little taller in top gear. Are you running BP diffs or standard 43/13? I think 43/13 is a bit lower ratio than BP's 29/9 by a hair, 3.31 vs 3.22.

Should accelerate well. Do you have the 2 speed trans or 3 speed? I think the 3 speed is geared a little taller in top gear. Are you running BP diffs or standard 43/13? I think 43/13 is a bit lower ratio than BP's 29/9 by a hair, 3.31 vs 3.22.
It's the 3speed.
Stock diffs.

I don't know what stock is in that. With the 3-speed, you should be good with that gearing though.

I don't know what stock is in that. With the 3-speed, you should be good with that gearing though.
I'll try. Any suggestion for the manufacturer?
(Also do u suggest me to change the servos? The steering servos seems to be really unpowerful... I saw this one: Alturn AHBS-3713HTG+HV BRUSHLESS but I don't know if it's any good)

I don't recognize the brand and I can't tell if they are waterproof or not. I only buy waterproof anymore. Wasted too many servos to water.

These are supposed to be pretty good:
http://www.promodeler.com/DS360DLHV

I haven't tried one yet, but will probably try one when/if I need one. Although, that one is kind of slow at 6V, so probably would go for this one:
http://www.promodeler.com/DS305CLHV

Or, the Savox 0231MG is a good budget servo. I run one of those in one of my revos as a single servo.
https://www.amainhobbies.com/savox-...etal-gear-digital-servo-sav-sw-0231mg/p262192

This ecopower one would be pretty good too I'd think:
https://www.amainhobbies.com/ecopow...que-metal-gear-digital-servo-ecp-110t/p734713

Again, haven't had one, just ran across them in forums.

A buddy of mine has this one in his arrma talion and it slaps the tires around with authority:
https://www.amainhobbies.com/savox-...igital-steel-gear-servo-sav-sw-1210sg/p262193

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back