Savage flux XL keeps destroying rear diffs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samthomas450

Hey everyone my savage keeps destroying the rear diff. I’m not sure if I’m doing something wrong. The bearings seem tight I clean everything out but if I land a jump in dirt with any sort of throttle on boom pinion is gone. Is there a better diff then the bullet proof? There getting hard to find I almost need to have a stock pile of them at this point.

You have to loosen your slipper. That said, I had the same issue on my flux hp, even on 4S. The downside is if you set your slipper to slip under heavy load, it tends to slip too much due to the torque of brushless, then it just cooks the pad. The best solution is to run a center diff, with a slipper if you can.

I run the super 5SC center diff trans in my flux now with ~650k oil in it. I had to transfer the input shaft, but otherwise it was a bolt in. I haven't had an issue with diffs since the install of that. I'm not 100% sure it will fit the XL though.

Shimming your diffs and center diff with slipper but still no gaurantee....bulletproof is misleading but it's still weak for brushless

Shimming your diffs and center diff with slipper but still no gaurantee....bulletproof is misleading but it's still weak for brushless
Yep, no matter what you do, brushless torque is hard on diffs. Landing when on the throttle is going to break something regardless what you have between the motor and tires. The slipper/center diff combo just lowers the likelihood of damage.

Since doing my CD conversion on my savage haven't had a problem with the diffs. Sometimes I do hold my breath when landing my other Savage xl ( has the standard flux gearbox ) waiting for the dreaded crunching noise. I to was wondering if the 5SC center diff would work ?

Some people had better luck with hot racing helical gears. Less side loading on the bearings too... but without getting rid of the weak 10mm bearing you are SOL

But the only known upgrade is the cen genisis, nemesis,reeper… diffs they are very beefy with a much taller ratio...
For the cen diffs you need the full housing as it uses special diff housings that are steel on both sides, holding a center alloy case with cup style spider gears, not a standard cross shafts setup

Just be aware some people have reported fitment issues with the helical gears and increases sideload destroying your bearings...also I don't think anybody has done cen diffs since bulletproofs are just as strong with the needed modification and cens are really hard to find now

Cen diffs use a hybrid steel/alloy diff spider gear housing vs pot metal so they are better, also no small shims and better spiders.

The 8mm bearing is stronger than the odd size 10mm that is known to fail, and worth the upgrade alone.

its easy to see the difference when u are holding them in hand

You have to loosen your slipper. That said, I had the same issue on my flux hp, even on 4S. The downside is if you set your slipper to slip under heavy load, it tends to slip too much due to the torque of brushless, then it just cooks the pad. The best solution is to run a center diff, with a slipper if you can.

I run the super 5SC center diff trans in my flux now with ~650k oil in it. I had to transfer the input shaft, but otherwise it was a bolt in. I haven't had an issue with diffs since the install of that. I'm not 100% sure it will fit the XL though.

transfer the input shafts?

Center Diff in. Slipper Clutch out.:woot:

1578844160710.png

No need to transfer the input shaft then. ;)1578844241429.png

Center Diff in. Slipper Clutch out.:woot:

View attachment 7546

No need to transfer the input shaft then. ;)

How many variations of that gear do you have? I'm on my 2nd RRP spur after changing to 6S to try and gear it low enough so my MMX doesn't overheat on me. I think I'm at 16/48 now, might hunt for a 49T if I can find one. Although, I kind of like the though of having the slipper, even though it's basically locked down. It's still more likely to give than that input gear though.

Surprisingly I've never blown a diff with heaps of landings with throttle trying to pull out of crashes, slipper is tight too, diffs were well shimmed from factory & only mod is the Vorza housings to get rid of the small bearing, usually 4s, was originally a 2350

Surprisingly I've never blown a diff with heaps of landings with throttle trying to pull out of crashes, slipper is tight too, diffs were well shimmed from factory & only mod is the Vorza housings to get rid of the small bearing, usually 4s, was originally a 2350
Do the vorza housings have steel inserts for the x-pins? Doesn't look like it in the parts explosions for the vorza.

Rc4me.us carries now the center diff kit for the xl flux.

Hi guys, do you think that the aluminium differential case can be helpful in increasing the differential's life? I think that the plastic can be deformed and the bearings house can be deformed, allowing the bearings to work not properly.. What do you think?

Latest posts

Members online

Back