Savage 5.9

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never used a .30 but my .28 absolutely rips, and it only has a bit less than 1 gallon on it. My XL was wheelying on the factory (very rich) settings after like 6 tanks with this mill, when just giving 1/4 throttle blips for just a split second! Hadn't even touched the needles yet! Everyone here told me the .28 is the best size motor because the bigger mills can't pull the peak rpms and don't spool up as easily. I'm a firm believer in that now! I'm seeing much higher top speeds than I ever saw with the 5.9 and I'm still running the 16/52 gearing until my new ones get here. I don't have a way to measure the speed but I'm seeing at least 5-10 mph more on the top end with this mill alone. Can't wait until I get it geared to 17/47! It's gonna rip!

Not only can you see that truck is hitting higher top speeds but my stopping distances seem like they have almost doubled LOL! To the point where at first I was misjudging how much room I actually needed to stop the truck. It just gets to a much higher velocity now with no changes other than the mill and I haven't even passed the first gallon!

I can't wait to try this mill out . I will order it Friday . This thing sounds great . I read the reviews on amain hobbies and all of them rave about this engine.

I've never used a .30 but my .28 absolutely rips, and it only has a bit less than 1 gallon on it. My XL was wheelying on the factory (very rich) settings after like 6 tanks with this mill, when just giving 1/4 throttle blips for just a split second! Hadn't even touched the needles yet! Everyone here told me the .28 is the best size motor because the bigger mills can't pull the peak rpms and don't spool up as easily. I'm a firm believer in that now! I'm seeing much higher top speeds than I ever saw with the 5.9 and I'm still running the 16/52 gearing until my new ones get here. I don't have a way to measure the speed but I'm seeing at least 5-10 mph more on the top end with this mill alone. Can't wait until I get it geared to 17/47! It's gonna rip!

Mike, after reading your post about the power the lrp puts out you've convinced me into picking up a .28 and dropping one in my savage xl . What pipe are you using with the .28 ?

I'm running the ERCM End Bleed pipe. Another great product! Robin does awesome work and this pipe sounds killer on the LRP .28. I couldn't believe the peak rpm difference after I put this mill in my XL! It just screams!

My truck was wheelying in the grass yesterday with the Tremor wheels and Goliath tires on! It couldn't even come close to doing that before, as the tires would just spin. But now they spin so much that it is picking up the front end while the tires are still spinning LOL. My mill did get hot without me realizing it though, I think it was the tire change and the extra stress from the heavier setup. I saw just over 300 degress when I shut the truck down. I was like 'oh no' but I think it will be ok. I just made sure to blow some extra air through the head until it was like 240 and made sure the piston was at BDC.

Latest posts

Members online

Back