Savage 3 Speed transmission Manual

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy bump batman!!

I should be doing this in a few days..

So from what I'm reading 2 turns on the 2nd gear and 4 1/2 - 5 on the third gear. Does this still apply or even matter if I'm installing the High speed gears? Any different settings? Can't wait to get this thing going!

TIA

I had to do mine completely by feel man. It wasn't right out of the box so I took it apart and made sure it was at the factory settings just to find out those were not right either. It took me about 3 times to get it perfect but the last time or two were just fine tuning 2nd since 3rd can be done from outside the truck.

Question for you guys.. The clucthes... There is a set screw on top of the screw I'm talking about. That "clutch screw" is it supposed to be cranked all the way down or cranked then back out about 1/8 of a turn? I'm having alittle issue with that currently.

I crank both of those down and loctite them with blue loctite. That little set screw is to prevent the screw shaft from backing out as an added safeguard to protect the tranny from flying apart, if I'm not mistaken. The other set screws (threaded more into the side of the clutch with the angled hole at the top and the springs underneath) are your tension for setting your shift points. I guess your best bet is to start with factory specs and then before you throw it back together just make sure you feel them by hand to at least make sure the tension is sequential, with third having the most tension. This will prevent you from having the problem I did with my springs.

I crank both of those down and loctite them with blue loctite. That little set screw is to prevent the screw shaft from backing out as an added safeguard to protect the tranny from flying apart, if I'm not mistaken. The other set screws (threaded more into the side of the clutch with the angled hole at the top and the springs underneath) are your tension for setting your shift points. I guess your best bet is to start with factory specs and then before you throw it back together just make sure you feel them by hand to at least make sure the tension is sequential, with third having the most tension. This will prevent you from having the problem I did with my springs.

Thanks mike.. gonna work on it again this afternoon. What gear ratio you running?

That is great advice i have a three speed and i am still trying to tune the engine just to shift past second i think. I do not believe i have got to third gear yet. But i am still trying.

Quick question here :D

ok i have find tuned my 2nd speed so regarding the 3speed... does it required more turn that 2nd gear ?

example 2nd gear nid to screw in 3turn and 3rd gear nid to screw in 4 turn ? or lesser ?

Last edited by a moderator:
me also i can't get shift point at 3rd speed... for 17/47 i have perfect 2nd but 3rd speed really hard to tune need to open the whole gear box to tune it ~

some body help T_T

Keep in mind that the original 3 speed clutch settings are for a savage 25. Do Not Use there shift points. For a 4.1 or bigger the points are
2nd gear: 2 turns in
3rd gear: 5 turns in
That was from HPI tech guys. They haven't changed the manual or put an edition to it yet. Also if you are running a hot engine you will have to go in on the 2nd gear clutch a 1/2 turn. so say 2 1/2 turns in to start with. you should be threw the gears in 15 to 20 feet no more.

15 to 20 for 1st,2 and third even with high third?????

since this is a 3 speed thread, i would like to address an issue that I'm having....i installed a reverse gear yesterday and the 3 speed disappeared.... it doesnt go 3 speed anymore just 2 speed.

any ideas??

any comments are appreciated. :)

Does any one know where I can get a 3 speed transmission? Been searching the web and cannot find one for an affordable price.

Does any one know where I can get a 3 speed transmission? Been searching the web and cannot find one for an affordable price.

Not sure, all I can suggest is looking on E bay and follow a search to see if any come available... in truth I don't find a 3 speed to be of much use anyway, it is a pain to adjust 3rd gear without removing the gearset from the transmission, I am plenty happy with the speed of my rig......

Not sure, all I can suggest is looking on E bay and follow a search to see if any come available... in truth I don't find a 3 speed to be of much use anyway, it is a pain to adjust 3rd gear without removing the gearset from the transmission, I am plenty happy with the speed of my rig......
While that's true and I disliked it for the same reason, it was pretty cool hearing it shift twice. :)

I don't recall if the gear ratio's ended up different or not from 1st to 3rd over the 2 speed though. If I remember right, 1st was a bit lower and 3rd was a bit higher with second allowing for the extra gap between without straining things so much. Or, at the very least, 3rd was the same while 1st was a bit lower which would let you run a larger bell/smaller spur to end up with a higher top end while still having plenty of torque down low to get it going.

I had one when I ran nitro in the winter and I'd use a junk engine for winter bashing, which required that I had to run different gearing and adjust the 3 speed quite a bit. Which is no fun when it's 25F outside. So, I gave mine to a friend and went back to the 2 speed, which was easier to adjust.

Found a lengthy thread on another forum where the guy was fighting with people over HPI saying the 3-speed added 10% more top speed, which it doesn't.

Overall Gear Ratios
===================
2-Speed
1st Gear: 18/44*32/29 = .45141 = 2.22:1
2nd Gear: 23/39*32/29 = .65075 = 1.54:1

3-Speed
1st Gear: 18/44*31/30 = .42272 = 2.37:1 (6.7% increase)
2nd Gear: 21/41*31/30 = .52927 = 1.89:1
3rd Gear: 24/38*31/30 = .65263 = 1.53:1 (0.7% increase)

What it does do is allows you to run a higher gear CB without putting so much strain on the clutch as it shifts to get to top speed by adding an incremental extra step between 1st and 3rd gear, which spreads out your usable powerband a bit more. So, odds are, you can gear 10% taller with your spur/cb without frying your clutch or overheating the engine.

Last edited:
Hey looking for some help with shift points for a savage x 4.6. I am currently running the car on 19/47 gearing and am unsure of the shift points. Please help!

Latest posts

Members online

Back