Savage 3 Speed transmission Manual

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice hop! I have seen a few threads about help with 3 speeds, this should be quite helpful to everyone.

Keep in mind that the original 3 speed clutch settings are for a savage 25. Do Not Use there shift points. For a 4.1 or bigger the points are
2nd gear: 2 turns in
3rd gear: 5 turns in
That was from HPI tech guys. They haven't changed the manual or put an edition to it yet. Also if you are running a hot engine you will have to go in on the 2nd gear clutch a 1/2 turn. so say 2 1/2 turns in to start with. you should be threw the gears in 15 to 20 feet no more.

Last edited by a moderator:
awsome I was looking for somthing like this athis morning so I could reassemble mine. Got It figured out though. but will be useful later I'm sure.

Trans Disassembly Issue

Hi Everyone... I am going to install the 3 speed into my 4.1 Savage tomorrow and thought I would adjust the shift points. The 3rd gear adjustment at 5 turns in was a snap.

I took the trans apart and see where the "cam" is and the set screw to adjust 2nd gear shift. How do I get the gears apart to get to the set screw? I took the snap ring of the one end and took the 2 gears off. Now I have the other 2 gears and cannot get them apart to get to the 2nd shift adjustment screw. I unscrewed both allen screws from the 3rd adjustment thinking that is how the whole thing comes apart. I still cannot get the thing to open up.... PLUS... now I have a little spring and a ball to deal with which fell out and I don't know which hole nor which order to put them back... after I figure out how to get the thing apart to adjust 2nd gear. Any help would be appreciated !!! Cheers, Steve

try 2 turns on the second gear and 4 1/2 to five turns on the third..

When you remove that set screw there is really 2 of them 1 right underneath the one you removed.. once you remove both set screws those gears will come off the shaft, then you will be able to adjust 2nd

That little spring and ball is what adjusts your shift, points.. they go on the clutches.. Ok those two set screws your remove there is another one right right beside it(it kinda goes in at a angle that's where that spring and ball go before you put the set screw over it ...

So sorry If I really confused you but its hard for me to explain , but iam going thought the same thing you are right now... Please guys correct me if iam wrong , and our.. put my words in in something that ain't so screwed up

I see the 2nd set screw way in there... What size is it... the 2mm is too small and the 2.5 mm is too big... DAMN !!!! :puke:

yea its the same size becarful not to strip it out allmost did that today

I'm sorry.. I don't think it is the same size unless when it was built it was stripped out. The 2mm which I used for the other allens in the tranny is too small.... and the next size 2.5 is too big. The 2mm allen "skipped" once on the first try so I stopped immediately. I appreciate the link to the manual.. I have that.. and unless I am blind (been there, done that) I don't see a reference to the spring and ball that popped out. :puke:

Screw removal

If you did strip that set screw out take a standard size allen wrench as close to the 2mm you can find and tap it in and it should back it out then replace the set screw, I've did this dozens of times.:Xfingers:

try 2 turns on the second gear and 4 1/2 to five turns on the third..

When you remove that set screw there is really 2 of them 1 right underneath the one you removed.. once you remove both set screws those gears will come off the shaft, then you will be able to adjust 2nd

That little spring and ball is what adjusts your shift, points.. they go on the clutches.. Ok those two set screws your remove there is another one right right beside it(it kinda goes in at a angle that's where that spring and ball go before you put the set screw over it ...

So sorry If I really confused you but its hard for me to explain , but iam going thought the same thing you are right now... Please guys correct me if iam wrong , and our.. put my words in in something that ain't so screwed up

I am just installing this kit and was unsure about the directions in the manual. The manual that was included is found here http://www.hpieurope.com/manuals/pdf/87218.pdf
If I understand what you wrote above you said that the Set Screw is above the Screw Shaft right in the same hole? If that is the case then what goes in the other hole that is at a slight angle? And which screw do I adjust the shift points with?

Thanks

tThe set scew underneath will release the gears from the shaft the set screw on an angle next to it is your adjustment

Hi,

I just installed a 3-speed gear on my savage 25 RTR. The factory setting on the gears was 4 on on the second gear and 1.5 on the third. According to the discussion here this is far off!!

My gears are 15T/49T. According to the manual, the setting should be 3.5 (2nd)and 3.25 (3rd).

What is your experience? Does the settings from the manual work OK for your S-25 engine?

When driving with the 2 speed gear box, it is obvious when the car is changing gear. Is it the same with the 3 speed box?

Thanks,
Rune

Slinnings you have it backwards it is 2 turns in for 2nd gear and 4 turns in for third gear (if you have a 4.1 engine or bigger) and yes you should see it shifting the same as the 2speed

If it's smaller then 2nd gear is 3.25 turns in and third gear is 3.5 turns in.

All the allen screws in the three speed are 2mm no doubt I don't think a standard screw will fit.

The screws go like this: slide the shifter on the shaft put the pin screw in first same as what goes in the driveshaft cups at the tranny not the diff.
then put the set screw in on top of the pin remember the lock tight, now tighten it down (IMPORTANT check the direction of the shifter on the shaft refer to manuel).

Now beside the hole that holds the shifter to the shaft is either a notch (2nd gear) or a hole on a slight angle (3rd gear) Ball goes in first then spring then the remaining set screw on both shifters the turns in are from flush (in manuel are pictures) Important you can cause damage to the spring if you tighten it all the way down then you might have shifting problems. All settings will need tweeking and this process can take days have fun :)

Last edited by a moderator:
how much time should i set aside for this. I no that it takes 15 ft just for it to shift into 2nd. Is this a rainy day project.

If you have an X gearbox and have reasonable experience taking a 3 speed apart you can have it set in an hour or so. the biggest thing is turn the 3rd gear clutch screw in until it stops do not crank down on it. this will lock out 3rd gear. this will let you set 2nd gear shift point without the third gear engaging. it will make it easier on you.

Thanks Mega, new to nitro. Guess i will take 3 spd out and put the 2 spd back in for now.

hey

Hey guys. How do i recognize the second gear seting screw from the 3 gear??
i have the 3 speed gearbox and the K6.6 engine. what is the best seting of the 3 speed gearbox for that engine?? My bell/spur si 17/47

i have a question, i have a savage x ss, and i want to get the 3 speed tranny for it. there is an upgrade kit, that i have to install myself, and there is also a fully assembled one. if i buy the upgrade, will i need to buy a new gear case for it, or will it all fit into the 2 speed casing i already have? does anyone know the parts code for the fully built one that will work with a K4.6?

3 speed will fit all savage kits.

How do you find out what these factory settings are on the 3 speed tranny. I've been looking through the manual, and i cant find what the current settings are.

So i guess another way of asking this would be; How do you know that you need to turn a screw 4 turns because the factory settings might have it turned 2 turns already, so turning it 4 more turns would make it 6 total.

I have the older .25 rtr with the vertically split trans case. will the horizontialy split case fit this vehicle? I am guessing it will but wanted to make sure. I just did the 3speed and reverse mod and didn't know about the different cases. Bummer but if the horizontialy split case is easier to adjust then that sounds like the way to go.

I have the older .25 rtr with the vertically split trans case. will the horizontialy split case fit this vehicle? I am guessing it will but wanted to make sure. I just did the 3speed and reverse mod and didn't know about the different cases. Bummer but if the horizontialy split case is easier to adjust then that sounds like the way to go.

Yes it wil fit..

Does anybody have the exact dimension of B025 Flanged 6x10 bearing? I don't want to spend near $12 for a set when I could buy 2 for like $4.

Latest posts

Members online

Back