My two savage rebuilds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a link to the motor/esc? I'm not sure what size a "540" motor is when it comes to brushless. What spur/pinion are you using?

This is the full conversion write up. Like I said mine was as budget friendly as possible. So I kinda picked and chose the parts.

I did a check and the integy setup is sold out everywhere. I spent too much to go half way though, looking at the alza stuff.

Can't get it on the Canada Amazon - can get them for many other kits but not the savage. I think if I convert I will do HPI/Alza combination. I did learn from that site that trophy truggy hubs will work on a savage and ordered some.

Can't get it on the Canada Amazon - can get them for many other kits but not the savage. I think if I convert I will do HPI/Alza combination. I did learn from that site that trophy truggy hubs will work on a savage and ordered some.
I use the extended HPI shafts and modified some cheapo's off ebay for both my X and FluxHP.

I did it out of desperation as I snapped the end off one of my axles using the HPI hubs with the weird nuts. I had these in my parts as they came mounted on the truck (I bought the truck used) using the stock pin location and they were awful like that as most of the hub was just flopping around off the end of the axle. After cutting them down and drilling new holes, the majority of the hub is on the large part of the shaft and is very solid.
2018-0402-SavageFlux-Hubs-CutUncut.jpg

2018-0402-SavageFlux-Hubs-OnTruckEnd.jpg

2018-0402-SavageFlux-Hubs-OnTruckTop.jpg

On the unbroken axles, I had to drill a hole in the caps so it could stick out:
2018-0402-SavageFlux-Hubs-Wheelnut-Drilled.jpg

I got a second set and did the same on my X, figured for $10, it was worth it to do away with the weird nuts:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Set-17mm...m-Aluminum-For-1-8-HSP-RC-Car-US/401295876466

2019-0417-SavageX-17mmHub-closeup.jpg

I should update the title of the thread, just picked up this X and a partial transmission and .21 plates for 150 CAD from a friend. It has a ton of pinch and is pretty fresh despite the dirt on it. Considering the age of the truck I am surprised if the engines condition, especially the unscratched head.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    450 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    434.5 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    353.8 KB · Views: 11
I just got new suspension parts on my x, thanks to new parts showing up on e-bay, was able to replace everything from the diffs out. its nice having parts for my savage again, n yea its got a new nitro mill just like my savage 21. nice to have hpi parts again!

Its good that HPI is rolling again. My painting is almost caught up, I expect to be back at it in two weeks. Post a photo.

There must be something in the water for several people to be converting the Savage's all at the same time LoL!

I hope there is a resurgence, maybe HPI being back will get people interested in their Savages again. I needed a break, am ready to go again. I bought another savage...sort of, had a few good auctions and likely have another one that can be built. Stopping at 4.

I hope there is a resurgence, maybe HPI being back will get people interested in their Savages again. I needed a break, am ready to go again. I bought another savage...sort of, had a few good auctions and likely have another one that can be built. Stopping at 4.
Lol 4 savages,I'm at 2

If I keep blowing diffs in my outcast... my savage flux hp may be one of my primaries next year now that parts are readily available.

If I keep blowing diffs in my outcast... my savage flux hp may be one of my primaries next year now that parts are readily available.
Got to land with that finger off the throttle?,as many times as ive landed nose first on the trigger,its a wonder i haven't blown the fronts on my outcast.

Got to land with that finger off the throttle?,as many times as ive landed nose first on the trigger,its a wonder i haven't blown the fronts on my outcast.
I don't. Trust me. Before the outcast, I had been running a brushless revo on 4S which has 1/10th scale diffs and plastic axles but weights just a little less than the outcast. I never blew a diff in it. I'm on my 6th or 7th diff in the outcast in a bit over a year. I ran the outcast on 4S for 7 months, that cost 3 diffs. :(

had some eBay come in. A flux minus the front and rear clips and front and rear clips from a 2011 x. I have the rest of the flux and x to go with these. I have three savages to build and haven't posted the one that is complete yet. Christmas holidays projects.

Attachments

• 2BE385C3-B27E-4909-974B-91584FF4C13C.jpeg
    2BE385C3-B27E-4909-974B-91584FF4C13C.jpeg
    285.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 4279F691-69F2-47A7-AAE1-50F66DE95905.jpeg
    4279F691-69F2-47A7-AAE1-50F66DE95905.jpeg
    238.6 KB · Views: 4
Came within three weeks!

Attachments

• 2E1633E9-0F73-4EB2-A868-FBED6BFAC8B0.jpeg
    2E1633E9-0F73-4EB2-A868-FBED6BFAC8B0.jpeg
    407.2 KB · Views: 6
  • EA6D5158-4FEA-4156-9C53-114E00B9FFD9.jpeg
    EA6D5158-4FEA-4156-9C53-114E00B9FFD9.jpeg
    274 KB · Views: 6
Just finishing the second X and am waiting for a diff for the flux. I expect to be driving the flux soon. One more x to rebuild.

Fun projects and I’ve managed to burn up half the time until spring so far.

I’m hoping the body supply gets better. It looks like the clear shells available are old stock

I may have to, I'm looking for clear bodies hopefully some Proline 60-thou. Selection is low.

Came within three weeks!
Tried the surpass electronics in my flux. It was okay, very undergeared (47/17, all I had at the time). I am keeping them for a second truck for my son to play with. The Max8/2200 combo with proper gearing are coming.

I looked into the integy conversion and realized its intended for smaller motors and 3s operation, I assume they intend it for the smaller long can SCT motors based on the gearing they provide, which allows for mouning withing the plates. I may try to do my own conversion on an old X - wonder how well the older diffs will hold up?

I forgot to post photos of the first two bodies that were painted. One for a flux and the other an XL.

Attachments

• IMG_5526.jpeg
    IMG_5526.jpeg
    221.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5529.jpeg
    IMG_5529.jpeg
    189.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5559.jpeg
    IMG_5559.jpeg
    295.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5561.jpeg
    IMG_5561.jpeg
    323 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5566.jpeg
    IMG_5566.jpeg
    320.2 KB · Views: 3
I have ran the 4.6 conversion on 3,4,and 6s with no problems yet.sold it to a fellow basher and he has had no diff problems.sweet looking bodies too. However I did have problems with two or three surpass hobby 120 amp ESC. They seem to burn out where the ground wire connect to the circuit board, while running on 4S. I've had better luck with goolrc, or an arrma blx185 speed controller and almost any cheap 6's rated motor. That gives you the option of 4 or 6s.

Latest posts

Members online

Back