Multiple Questions.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Imran

Hey, I'm trying to mod my Savage X 4.6. I have a certain question since I'm still fairly new to his hobby.

1. New tires. What fits savage 17mm hex hub. I don't understand the tire terminology. I have looked at proline slingshots 3.8 and they say it's traxxas style beads. How will I know if it fits my Savage? Could someone explain with pics. My LSH are completely useless and only look to sell things.

2. Mid-tank mod. I saw there's a mid-tank mod section. Couldn't find it :/ I'm looking to midtank my Savage on stock plates. So what do I need for those? Chassis is 4.6

3. Body Shells. What body shells apart from those made for Savage fits? I have been looking to fit some different bodies and I can't seem to figure out what fits. Trail and error is not an option for me because LSH don't keep any bodies except for crappy chinese ones they sell for the same price as branded ones. And buying online and shipping it to my country is a rather heavy cost I cannot afford to take.

3. Exhaust pipes. What's a good pipe for a K4.6 Engine? Also, I plan on replacing it to an LRP .32 engine later as time comes by so a pipe thats good for 4.6 and then LRP .32 later on, what replacement parts will I need? Anything to keep in mind? I'm aware all Big Block engines can be interchanged and parts fit each other, but anything I'd need to keep in mind?

4. Being a mechanical Engineer, I have access to CNC and milling machines to actually make my own parts. Does anyone have any templates for custom parts that I can change to hop up my Savage?

5. I was looking for Carbon Fiber products and I came across "Platinum RC Products" but I'm not sure if they are open anymore?

Thanks.

"traxxas style bead" are a tire where the bead goes into the rim from the side. Standard MT rims go in vertically.

Standard bead:
2722-03-1copy_zps3560019e.jpg

Traxxas geode rim (chrome 1/2" offset from standard rim):
5Z9BPVW.jpg

Traxxas'ish bead without the channel:
2732-03-2.jpg

I believe the thought process is that the side bead is more durable and less prone to cutting the sidewall of the tire when pinched. However, I've had pretty much the same result with them as I had with the old standard type bead. For me, they are similarly annoying to glue/get seated properly, the sidewalls get cut up when running on concrete and they tire separates about the same amount as my others. The only reason I run them is because traxxas tires/wheels are usually pretty cheap on ebay and they aren't full fledged 40 series, so they aren't as wide/heavy which lends for less rotational mass and leverage when smacking into stuff. But like most 40's, they don't have nearly as much sidewall as old school 3.2" rims. So they wander around less when at high speeds.

For side by side to see the size comparison of traxxas 3.8 with standard 3.2 rims/tires:
2010-0110-Tires-Maxx33-Talon-HPIGT1-TRX25.jpg

Left to right:
Traxxas T-Maxx 3.3 tires on their no offset (or little offset) rims
Traxxas Revo Talons on 3.8 on the same rims
HPI Old GT1 Savage tires on standard 3.2" MT RPM Revolver rims
Old traxxas t-maxx 2.5 chevrons on standard 3.2" MT Traxxas rims

Almost the same tires/wheels, but showing you the width:
2010-0110-Tires-Maxx33-Talon-HPIGT1-RoadRage-TRX25.jpg

There are pro-line road rage tires in there... not sure why I did that, but the rest follow what's listed above.

Last edited:
Okay, so as long as the tire says 17mm hex it will fit on my savage, yes? Its just the spot where the beads go into the rim?

17mm is the hex for your axle/hub, so yeah. If it's 17mm and not a buggy or onroad rim (much smaller but usually have 17mm hex's), you should be fine.

17mm hex, 3.2", 3.8", 40 series with No offset, 1/4" offset, 1/2" offset should all fit a savage.

For a long time, 14mm was the standard hex on the savage/t-maxx/revo and it sucked. Surprising how 3mm make them so much more durable.

Sorry, didn't mean to over inform.

The "bead" refers to how the tire fits to the wheel. The 'Hex" refers to how the wheel fits to the axle. If you look at the back of a wheel you will see a hex shaped hole. The hex slips on the axle over a pin and drives the tire/wheel. Since a savage is 4x4 all 4 wheels have hexes.
iu

Try to search the forum and then google.com I'm not sure if there is anymore places that makea mid-tank kit. Might end up getting parts from all over to complete the mod. Look into the ofna throttle brake mod but once again parts are hard to find. Body basically any body that says "fits savage or t-maxx" it will fit proline is a good place to look for wheels tires and bodies. Pipe I'm still running the stock one and Depending on the weather here I plan to fire up my lrp .32 for the first time.

I got really side-tracked but thank you for all your replies.

I see the Ofna 250cc tank has been discontinued. What other tank can I replace that around the equal capacity since I don't plan on having the receiver or battery at the conventional location as it is right now. Any ideas?

Thank you

https://www.hpisavageforum.com/threads/hirisks-ofna-linkage-set-up-with-pics-and-details.4144/
I did my linkage way different that what is pictured. I can takea picture of my mod if you want.
Basically, it was more just a matter of replacing the stock split servo saver thing with a solid arm and sliders/springs/collars on the wire. Gives you a fully adjustable setup that isn't as affected by fatigue of the servo saver thing.

I use similar to the OFNA linkage myself, but also use a small captured dubro ball end on the throttle pivots to reduce slop over time that z-bends cause and a washer so if it does wear/pop off, it won't fall all the way off.

Could you take a picture of your mod? I'm still fairly new but I'd love to see pictures to understand better.

That is how mine is setup. most you see will be very similar, I built mine outta stuff I had laying around from other projects...

This is how mine is set up 1 very little bend. The idea behind the linkage mod is to take out all them crazy bends. For me this set up works very well. The air filter is off for picture purposes.

Attachments

• 20161101_210829.jpg
    20161101_210829.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20161101_210845.jpg
    20161101_210845.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20161101_210911.jpg
    20161101_210911.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Members online