FLM Mid Tank Mod

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeGuam

Need Help. I been searching through all the treads and want to go with FLM TVP (sharp). I have a Savage XL and according to RC Monster there are FLM TVP for the Savage XL but it is out of stock. I have tried to locate an online hobby shop that sells it but no luck. Is the TVP discontinued? I see most people using FLM TVP's for their modification due to the ease of modification. Since the TVP's "I think" have all or majority of the drilled holes already I like to go that route with an OFNA 250CC Mod.

Any recommendations and help? Thanks Joe

Well, I am far from an FLM expert, but I think this is the kit you are looking for?

http://www.fastlanemachine.net/proddetail.php?prod=FLM45600&cat=22

Honestly, I don't recall seeing this on their site before - perhaps it is new and just hasn't hit distribution yet?

I have converted my XL to the Extended TVP's, but they are a tad shorter than the XL's (17mm if I remember correctly). I decided this was OK, because my hope was it would improve turning radius (shorter wheelbase) but still be stable, especially since they are low certer of gravity...

Let us know how you make out - I am very interested!

Bob

Oh, and as for the Ofna 250cc mod, I did that with a piece of flat aluminum and a few pieces of aluminum angle iron - meant some fabrication, but no big deal for me. If you want to use the 250CC tank on the FLM servi plate, it does not look like it is ready out of the box, but should be easily enough modified to support it. The plate is a hair short to provide a support for both the front and rear mounts. What I am going to do is make a small extension for the servo plate, and put my mount there - as soon as I replace the blade in my band saw :) (HINT: don't try to cut steel with the wrong kind of blade LOLOL).

Look at the link in my sig for the mid-tank project, that will give you a general idea of what I am going to make for the FLM servo plate. I might actually scrap the whole thing (i mean the servo plate) and make a custom one now that I have the tools to make nicer components. The first ones were made with a hack-saw and a bench vise :)

I'll take pics, if you like as I go through the process.

Bob

ok listen up.. Ive got the scoop on FLM.. www.rc-monster.com go there and if the item shows out of stock email them.. Mike will email you back. Tell him you would like to buy DIRECT from FLM.

TVP = http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail.php?prod=FLM45600&cat=31

Servo plate = http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail.php?prod=FLM45500&cat=31

Servo mounts = http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail.php?prod=FLM46000&cat=31

Mikes email addy = [email protected]

IF they fail just call Gina Mcdainel @ Fastlane 636-742-2774 tell her you want to order stuff.. she will tell you to buy it from rcbros and you will wait 2-3 weeks to get your stuff. Id just start with mike at rc-monster..

Also.. the OFNA 250cc tank will NOT FIT on the flm servo plate.. you will need this.. http://www.platinumrcproducts.com/prc 125.html

Got any other questions just pm me or holla here..

See, I just looked at that TVP link, and what I don't like is that the servo mounting holes adjacent to the engine are not there on the XL kit, but are on their LCG kit (http://www.fastlanemachine.net/proddetail.php?prod=FLM45100&cat=22). I like the fact that the LCG ones have the ability to easily move the throttle servo to next to the motor without modification...

Bob

Thanks,
I have especially looked at 2 of your XL projects Bob and I must say half the fun is building and that you did. Alot of thinking for an XL was done by you, so thanks. I did PM Platinium but I did not got a response yet. Most of you brothers have stated doing the 250CC Mod if we get the extreme Mod engine (Picco.28) which is in the works with Robin.money man

Now that I looked closer the servo mount in the rear is not there. crazzy<--me and helpful you.

If get the Savage Low Center of Gravity TVP would all the parts from the XL be an a bolt on the the TVP? :thinking: again

I liked to get this done the first time since I have ordered alooooot of parts for the XL (grands) in the past 3 months (wife furious, but oh well), so now I have the parts in case of accidents. I currently live in Japan and the cost for parts are through the roof so I just buy online. Thanks for the help. Id wish I only came to the site a few months ago and ask vise do unneccessary spending:peace:

Well, I can only share my experience with you :)

I found that all the XL stuff moved right over - the only difference is that the TVP's are a hair shorter, but they come with the correct length driveshaft - so other than the grunt work of moving everything over, you should find it to be quite complete... I personally like the TVp's with the servo mount holes in the side then you can relocate the servos VERY easily, and put whatever you want whereever you want pretty much...

On my first build, I made the mounts from scratch - not hard, just used aluminum angle iron. But getting everything to fit just right was a pain in the tail... This is the "before" pic:

photo4.jpg

And this is what it looks like now with the FLM mounts and TVP:

%5BUNSET%5D.jpg

I suppose the argument could be made that buying is not as much fun as building, but it does take some of the frustration out of the process :)

Now, here is one of the beauties of the Savage - just about everything is the same just reused. For example, to make a tank mount, just use two motor mount cross braces and a sheet of aluminum. VERY easy. PM me if you need measurements.

I just converted from my custom build to the FLM TVP and I so far I like it, but I am sure that I will end up making something for it in the near future - I just don't know when to leave well enough alone :)

Bob

Oh, and I forgot to mention: If you have an extra one of the purple skid plates (they go under the bulkheads above the plastic underbelly) you can make a poor-man's mid-tank.

I started mine with this:

G_Photo_13.jpg

As you can see, it is just a banged up old skid, but it fits pretty well. I ended up just buying a piece of aluminum to make the same thing, but could easily do this with your truck too.

Just a thought :)

Now you got me thinking - my son needs a mid-tank for his truck, which incidentally is an XL (I kept my XL mid-tank for my truck with the FLM TVP's - so obviously it fits). I also have a pile of polycarbonate here, maybe it would work for a lightweight mid-tank setup? I'll have to give that a try one of these days - polycarbonate is lighter than comparable thickness aluminum... may not like the nitro tho...

Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I can only share my experience with you :)

I found that all the XL stuff moved right over - the only difference is that the TVP's are a hair shorter, but they come with the correct length driveshaft - so other than the grunt work of moving everything over, you should find it to be quite complete... I personally like the TVp's with the servo mount holes in the side then you can relocate the servos VERY easily, and put whatever you want whereever you want pretty much...

On my first build, I made the mounts from scratch - not hard, just used aluminum angle iron. But getting everything to fit just right was a pain in the tail... This is the "before" pic:

photo4.jpg

And this is what it looks like now with the FLM mounts and TVP:

%5BUNSET%5D.jpg

I suppose the argument could be made that buying is not as much fun as building, but it does take some of the frustration out of the process :)

Now, here is one of the beauties of the Savage - just about everything is the same just reused. For example, to make a tank mount, just use two motor mount cross braces and a sheet of aluminum. VERY easy. PM me if you need measurements.

I just converted from my custom build to the FLM TVP and I so far I like it, but I am sure that I will end up making something for it in the near future - I just don't know when to leave well enough alone :)

Bob

I am going to go with the recommendation of the LCG TCP from FLM then. This is my list any recommendation, objection, missing please do input:

1.OFNA Racing Division 1/7 Fuel Tank OFN19504
2.RPM Receiver Box,Black: 10GT RPM80052
3.JR Servo Extension 6" Standard, Gold (2)JRPA094
4.OFNA RACING DIVISION Linkage Slide Kit, Blue OFN10704
Maybe a substitute anyone seen or used this
DYNAMITE Pro Tune Throttle/Brake Linkage Set DYN2568 (just change the rod)
5.OFNA Racing Division Aluminum CNC Servo Arm, Blue: JR, AIR, HRC, FUT OFN10731
6. FastLane Machine HPI Savage Low Center of Gravity TVP FLM45200
7. FastLane Machine HPI Savage SERVO MOUNTS (2) FLM46000
8. Platinum RC HPI Savage OFNA Mid-Tank Kit PRC125
9. Spektrum DX3.0 DSM 3CH Radio w/SR300 Receiver SPM20320
10. Truck body (if XL boday does not fit)
11. HPI Firestorm Battery Box HPI100323
12.HPI Savage Linkage Set and Return Spring HPI86356

Joe

I meant the FLM45100 Extended Low Center of Gravity.

I see your linkage is different than most. It looks good but are you going to switch the servo. Anything below SF-10 in my opinion is not going to last for long. I just got the ACE1015. Alot of good raves from the guys

I see your linkage is different than most. It looks good but are you going to switch the servo. Anything below SF-10 in my opinion is not going to last for long. I just got the ACE1015. Alot of good raves from the guys

Typing to fast i meant to say the SF-1 may not last for long. Had mine for about 3 months and then it died.

I meant the FLM45100 Extended Low Center of Gravity.

Ive been beating on a set of these for 2 years now & i must endorse based on price, quality, durability and warranty.

Anything you can to to LCG your savage is gonna help you control it. :skull2: imo

Ive been beating on a set of these for 2 years now & i must endorse based on price, quality, durability and warranty.

Anything you can to to LCG your savage is gonna help you control it. :skull2: imo

I wish I had luck with my stock servo. I must say that is impressive 2 years wow.

Latest posts

Members online

Back