LRP Breakin

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys,i don't mean to be rude but i think theres a flaw on my LRP.I tried everything i can think of.Like i said,This has me STUMPED!!!!! How is LRP's service do you think they can replace it and give me a new one?

I was struggling with the same thing you are. Mine would die right at the shelf line every time even though the temps were at 200* for the first half of tank, so I'm sure it wasn't lean. I changed my tank and it went away. The shelf in the one tank I had was about 3mm wider than the one I have now.

*UPDATE* I just ran my Sav with my Axial 28RR and I was experiencing the same symptoms as "steavage" is I tried putting the engine in my buggy and it ran great. This time i put the engine back in my Savage but with the buggy pipe on it and it ran great the temps stayed consistant and the idle was not uncrontrolable so needless to say it was the piece of *&^% Vantage pipe I had on it. I think the diameter of the stinger was too big so it wouldnt build enough pressure in the pipe inturn not supplying enough fuel pressure to the tank and causing it to always run lean especially at half tank I am so glad I fixed this.!!!

I'm glad you got it right.I emailed LRP yesterday about my problem and still didn't get a reply so thats what i'm waitin on right now.

I got my email today from Bill Martinez(which i heard is a great guy to deal with)and he told me to send it in to them and they will see whats wrong with it.They might even give me a new one if they can't find the problem.WOW,they got some great customer support!!!!!

Thats awesome news its nice to see good customer service. I am curious to find out whats wrong with it I think you are the only person I ever heard of having problems with an LRP. Then I go out and buy the axial!!!..lol... Actually now that the Axial is running properly it HAULS ***!!! Keep us updated!!

I just sent my engine to the post office today to get sent back so it will probably be about two weeks till i get it back since its way out in CA and i live in PA. I'll keep you guys updated!!!!!

Hey Stevage i just got my lrp today so i was readin your post about the breakin an i read where you said the needles were not flush. on the user guide they send with it it dosent say any thing about flush settings it says the factory setting is 3.75 turns on both needles.You might have confused it with the axial because that is the setting for them.Good luck i will be reading this an using your thread as a guide for my break in.

Yep that is the correct factory setting. If your lsn is flush your needle is about to fall out. Not sure why I didn't catch that also.

I know i saw that later on that they aren't supposed to be flush.Hey Windjammer,good luck with breakin and motor.

Hey guys,I got my LRP back today and the problem was the carb.It didn't adjust no matter how much you turn the needles so they just replaced the whole carb.
I didn't get a chance to run it yet.I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!! I'll keep you guys posted!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
lrp leaping racing power mines in and kickin it at about 230,hard to leave the line without flipin,guess i gota regear,i did have an issue with the header gasket i think the lrp port is small or something i had to try every gasket i had and then i had to put ultra temp around it.seems ok now temps are very steady.

Ran one tank this morning(started raining and quit) and the temps finally didn't go up not even past 210.I can say the idle is alot better,it don't take as long for it to idle down as it use to and now think its just my tunning thats makes it idle high.I still have alot work to do on it so hopefully everthing goes well.

I have a question for you guys.Could lack of pressure in my tank be causeing my idle problem?

I think a bad tank has been the main culprit all along.Yesterday i was out bashing i noticed something that i never did before.Whenever its idling erracticly and when i blip the throttle it comes down to a normal idle again for a few seconds and then starts idling weird again.It seems like their isn't much pressure in the tank at idle and therefore it idles weird.
I know this thread is getting long and i want to thank all you guys who stuck with me through this BIG HEADACHE!!!! Hopefully going mid-tank will solve the problem!!!!!

This thread is great I still have yet to break in my LRP and if anything happens this thread is perfect. Cheers!!:beer:

what kind of gearing are you running,mine will tail walk all the way across a parking lot

i have the stock i think 17 th cb an a 47 th spur,an i,m runnin the 4.6 pipe,the prob i had was the header seal,blazer hooked me up told me to put the 4.6 stock gasket on the lrp an it made a huge difference in being able to tune it,after u check that,if i was you i would lean the hsn a lil bit,and make sure you put the piston at bdc after you run and put after run oil in it.

I had the EXACT same running conditions after coming off the throttle the idle would race like its running lean and if I blip the throttle it would come down to normal. I solved all my problems by changing my pipe I put my Sportwerks Turmoil pipe (a 1/8 buggy pipe) on my truck and it runs great the inside diameter of the stinger on the pipe is about 8mm where as my old Vantage pipe was 12mm the added fuel pressure reduced my lean running conditions along with the racing idle trust me try a smaller pipe i barely even see the half tank lean issue anymoremy temps are consistant around 240 and the front wheels don't stay on the ground!!!

That what i'm been thinkin about doing lately.I just might have to pick up the TASIS M25 pipe.I'm right now workin on my CEN-MUGEN mid-tank mod so i'm going to try that first.
Windjammr,i am using the hpi gasket.BTW PIPER,I would get that LRP on your savage,you will be amazed!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you try the Tsais pipe it may help but the inside diameter of the stinger on the Tsais pipe is still 10mm I'm not sure how much of a difference that is compared to the pipe you are currently running. I was also interested in the hard anodized Tsais pipe but I think I am going to buy another buggy pipe and rig it to fit my Savage a little better then it is now cause I know this pipe runs great!

Ran my truck last weekend with my new setup(Cen-Mugen mid-tank)and you got it right,the SAME THING OVER AGAIN(RACING IDLE)!!!!!My next step is trying a new pipe.Right now i have my sights set on a BUKU but am still a little iffy about the price.Does anybody know what the inside diameter of the stingers(BUKU)are compared to the HPI polished pipe?
BTW,I noticed on the BUKU that is has two stingers and was wondering if anyone ever tried to put two exhaust deflectors on it.If so did it affect the performance?

I think its a tuneing problem. It clears up when you blip the throttle because your giving it fuel. I would think a lsn lean condition, but hard to say without seeing it. don't do the buku until you get your tune straight. You will blow it up. The buku has enough adjusting itself. Your motor needs to be right beffore you start messing with it. You wont know if its the tune or the pipe. Bring it to your local hobby shop. Mine charges $25 to tune. Well worth it for you. Another thing, your too concerned with temps. 270 is normal for 20%. If your running 30 I'd say the lrp should be between 220-250. MC-59s are also fine in that engine. I run them in everything.

I've richen up the lsn thinkin it was runnin lean at idle but that did not help a thing.Its so rich right now that i'll have to lean it out again.The temps are good as long as i keep on the throttle but when i let it idle the temps start shootin up!!!!I think it has something to do with fuel pressure.
Could an exhaust deflector be the cause of this problem?

Ran my truck last weekend with my new setup(Cen-Mugen mid-tank)and you got it right,the SAME THING OVER AGAIN(RACING IDLE)!!!!!My next step is trying a new pipe.Right now i have my sights set on a BUKU but am still a little iffy about the price.Does anybody know what the inside diameter of the stingers(BUKU)are compared to the HPI polished pipe?
BTW,I noticed on the BUKU that is has two stingers and was wondering if anyone ever tried to put two exhaust deflectors on it.If so did it affect the performance?

I had the same issues with the polished pipe on my LRP. It would take a bit to Idle down off WOT if the lsn was not fat to the point it would choke out the truck. I have the ofna 250 mid tank and run 47/19... BUKU now and its off the hook. temps out at 230- 245 on 25% But temps are just a reference point. don't tune by them at all...

Also if you want to try more tap pressure and I did not try this on the LRP cut a soda can into strips roll and insert into the stinger. That will reduce its opening and give you more tap pressure. But it is the Lsn with that pipe combo.. give it a pinch test I'm sure your lean..

Latest posts

Members online

Back