LRP Breakin

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevage

I broke in(heat cycle method)my LRP yesterday and everything went awsome except for one thing.After about a quarter to half throttle runs the engine don't want to idle down right away and takes like 3-5 sec. to idle down completely.I'm thinkin the rich setting is the culprit.Is this normal?I don't have it tune yet.

I was out runnin my truck today and found out why it don't idle down right away.AIR LEAK!!!! I also noticed alot of air bubbles in my fuel line.I do have it sealed all except the needles and sure enough the HSN had some gunk on it.Does the HSN have to be pretty tight because when i went to take it off it wasn't very tight.

Last edited by a moderator:
make sure the carb is tight on the lrp .. they come loose from the factory .. also check for air leaks in your tank ,, And seal the engine .. Make sure your clutch is all good also

I ran it again after i tightened the HSN and that didn't help.Right now i'm running the Ofna tank so i quess i'll try the stock tank and see if that helps.This has me totally stumped right now and i have the engine all sealed up.Do you think this could have something to do about my tune.Its still runnin plenty rich.

I have a dent(not a small ding) on my pipe.Could this be the cause of the erratic idleling?

i had same thing rong on my lrp it was the low speed to lean try that it should work ...it did for me...richen it some run it try again.. my lrp's i only turn the low and high mabe 1/4 thats it or they run lean i have six of them only three on my rc other three in boxes .. hope it works good luck....

Just noticed this today.......my LSN isn't even flush with the carb(not even close).Isn't it supposed to be flush for the factory setting?Maybe this is the problem.

Thanks alot mike,i bet thats the problem.I'll try it tonight if the weather cooperates

I ran it tonight and it still didn't fix the problem.When i made it flush it was so rich i barely couldn't start it so i just set it how it was before.Sometimes it even stays on a high idle for awhile without idling down.I even checked my throttle linkage and everything looked fine.Do you guys think the glow plug might be the problem?I'm right now runnin the MC-59(hot).Could it also be my cluch shoes,I right away put the nova shoes on when i got my LRP.

when you put it flush did you richen it 1/8 at a time or did you just go to flush also when your flush go in 1/8 at a time to were it runs smooth .also did you try the pinch test just to see how close the low speed is.my problem was the low speed ,after a fast run it would idle high about 5 to 8 sec until it came to a nice idle,if you put it back the way it came, let it idle and richen it a little at a time hold it or put it on a block and hit the gas a couple times until it comes down without it reving if it doe's rev richen alittle more...good luck glow plug mc 59 is what i run it's a hot plug..when racing. bashing a cold plug..

I just went flush and tried it.Sometimes when its still on high idle and then when i blip the throttle it comes down for about 3-4 sec. then it starts idling high again.I quess i'll have to put it on a block and do what you said,Mike.I might not be able to try again till wednesday.I'll prolly post a vid sometime so you can hear it.

Okay,i tried what you said mike and still didn't fix it.Its coming down where i have an air leak somewhere and i simply don't know where its coming from.Theres also some bubbles in my fuel line.,is that a sign of an air leak?I simply tried everything i can think of(changed fuel tank,new fuel lines,did away my fuel filter) and still didn't make it better.I almost don't know what do to next.The temps just keep going up the longer i run it.Oh,I do have a pretty big dent in my pipe,I don't know if that would be the cause,would it?I need help BIG TIME!!!!!!

your right there is a leak some where try the leak test on one pf the forums it shows you how...

I have tried and had the exact same problem with my Savage. I have an Axial 28RR and I have tried everything you have tried. Different tanks fuel lines no filter with a filter sealed the engine rebuilt the carb with new orings u name it I have tried it the bubble test with soapy water ect ect ect from day one it has not run cosistant. I know the temp outside makes a differnce and a whole bunch of other variables but trust me this is not my first or second or third rc engine I have tuned this engine is just a pain in the ***. I know how u feel I can back out my low end almost all the way out and it still wont run rich. It will loose power and not even shift a gear but it still will idle high after full throttle and sputter(lean sound) when coming off the throttle it has all the symptoms of an air leak. What I can say is when i get it HOT around 250 to 260 it starts to run great it lifts the wheels like nothing I could be rolling quite fast and lift the front with ease its got lotts of power and top end but only from half tank to one quarter tank at full tank (we all know half tank lean) its way too rich but still garggles and sputters when coming off the throttle like its running lean and at quarter tank it starts to sputter again like its running lean???? Richening the needles only makes the engine loose power and yes i turn the needles in 1hour incrimints(like a clock) and slowly tune it just never holds a constant tune!! I think I will be engine shopping soon!! Bottom Line I know how you feel!!! Keep on truckin!! :)

Is there a solution to this problem or is this problem gonna be for the rest of the engine's life span.If it is i'm going to send it back to LRP.

if you cant find the leak it might be a hairline crack you cant see who knows send it back get new one .....just bad luck ,,,somthing rong when the lowspeed was not flush every one i got was flush.last hope maybe the pipe to closed off from the dent that whould throw your settings way off .maybe try good pipe if it don't work send it back good luck mike

Sorry bud but I'll give you my 2cents...1 I don't have a LRP, but I have a Axial 28 and speaking from my own experience...check your rotor/pullstart back plate for the leak...and also the head bolts (remove the head and check for debris around the base of case and shims and also glow plug washer) some times these areas get over looked. I hope you don't take that as condensending but just trying to throw out a different angle to the problem.

Theres a small gap between the head and the block.Is that how its suppose to be?If i do send it back do you think they will give me a new one.I had this problem the very first time i started it.Like i said,i barely don't know what to do anymore,i simply tried everything i can think of.Its kinda rare haveing this kind of trouble with the LRP which has a good rep.

i would call the manufacturer and see what they say. you may be able to get a new one, or they may just fix what is wrong with yours and send it back to you.

how much idle gap do you have? sounds like a false idle problem. try closing your idle gap down to a little over half of what is there, then lean the lsn about a 1/2 to 3/4's. what might be happening is the idle is actually too high and you have a too rich lsn, which will bring the rpm's down while loading up the engine with fuel. then you end up over leaning the high to compensate for the slight bog. this will get your temps up as well.

and yes there should be a small gap between the head button, SO LONG AS THE SHIMS ARE SEALED ALL THE WAY DOWN. there should be no gap between the shims or shim area.

Well I found my problem somewhat. I put the engine in my buggy and it ran great it didnt get over 250 it idled perfect and held a tune like a normal engine should it was responisve and ran perfect top end/bottom end it was great. The only variables that changed was the vehicle and the pipe I run a Vantage pipe on my Savage and a Stock sportwerks turmoil pipe on my buggy. I used the same Vantage header I use on my savage I just used the sportwerks pipe that came with my buggy. I have chalked it down to the poor fuel tank design on the savage which is causing erratic engine behaviour changing from running lean to rich all the time through a tank of fuel. I am going to try the Sportwerks pipe on my Savage just to make sure its not the pipe and see how it runs but for now my conclusion is the tank design blows goats!! The Axial engine was not the problem this whole time!!!

Now I just have to figure out what to do!! Header tank mid tank??? I hate the way both of these mods look man I am screwed. I hope its the pipe!!..lol..

Thanks for all your help guys,I'll run it one more time and try what savagepsycho said if that don't work i'll call LRP once and see what they say about it.It is kinda strange that my lsn wasn't set flush when i got it.

I can't because the other vehicle is a Firestorm,so it won't fit.

Are you running the polished pipe on that engine? If so wasnt the header too small for the .28 engine?

savagepsycho is right! Same problem when I first got my LRP too rich on the bottom, with a high idle. Turn your idle down about to about .5mm and lean the LSN 1/8 turn. You said you thought it was a airleak before? Did you check the temps? It took me a while to figure mine out. I too thought it was a airleak, but the temps were too low.

My temps are like in the 250-270 range with a thick trail of smoke.Way to hot for me.RLM,i am runnin the polished pipe and the header fitted perfectly.

Well,ran it today and turned my idle screw down to the point where it stalls when i hit the brakes and still the same thing.One other thing i found out that don't barely work is the lsn,when i turn it,it barely doesn't do anything unless i turn it like a half turn and then i notice a difference.Isn't that kinda of strange?I'm thinkin my carb might be the problem.I'll email LRP once and see what they say.

Hey there.
I have the same problem, and i noticed the same thing what ntence1 wrote.
Close your idle screw, and lean out the lsn.
your response will be better, and it will go idle right away when you close the throttle.
When I did breakin with the 16% nitro, the half tank lean problem was to big.
I also noticed, with 25% nitro, the temps are more constance. (less half tank lean problem).
Beware of the percentace of oil in the fuel....(i run 13% synthetic oil)...

Latest posts

Members online

Back