HPI savage new build..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HPI-newbie

Hi All. I'm building a new savage X for myself with 4mm thick extended chassis side frames (Fastlane Machines) and a massive Thunder Tiger .70 motor will be fitted (From all the parts that I bought). My question is what size clutch bell should I use since the motor don't rev as high, as say a K5.9 engine.. I do know that the Hot Bodies (Truckzilla) .46 motor use's a 17 tooth bell. Should I go for that (It's already fitted) or a bell with 18 teeth ( The gearbox has to change through the gears like the Octane does)...

Specs for the motor are:
  • Displacement: 11.49 cc. / 0.701 cu. in.
  • Bore: 25.0 mm. / 0.984 in.
  • Stroke: 23.4 mm. / 0.921 in.
  • Practical RPM: 2,000 ~ 25,000
  • Output: 2.25 BHP / 16,000 RPM

Oh more pics will be coming of the build. A lot are alloy parts (With some plastic too), and a 3-speed gearbox (With reverse, and higher third gear too) ..

Attachments

• 100_1100.JPG
    100_1100.JPG
    312.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 100_1101.JPG
    100_1101.JPG
    342.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Here's a long waited update on my savage build, as you can see I've got the engine and gearbox attached to my custom made engine plate, and it was a bit hard, as the first one that I build was crap. Second attempt was a lot better at getting the clutch bell aligned to the titanium spur gear (51 teeth)..With the correct mesh.. The front, and rear ends are built (Aluminum is FLM). Now to get the servos into the radio box and the 2 steering links..

Oh I got lucky because the Savage XL Octane exhaust header was a correct fit (Bolt spacing is the same). Now I can use the high flow exhaust muffler..But finding the Octane exhaust header part was nearly impossible. (I got lucky in finding one in a on-line hobby store in Canada)..

Attachments

• 100_1160.JPG
    100_1160.JPG
    289.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 100_1162.JPG
    100_1162.JPG
    347.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 100_1164.JPG
    100_1164.JPG
    327.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 100_1161.JPG
    100_1161.JPG
    319.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 100_1165.JPG
    100_1165.JPG
    320 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Yep it will be a nice and a new truck too, and it won't be a shelf queen (I plan on running it)... Also, I'm going to rebuild a Duratrax Firehammer MT with lots of Aluminum, and a 36cc gas engine (All the parts New chassis plate too, are in my drawer). But I've got to finish my savage first (I wonder if I can show that build here)....

Last edited:
The CEN genesis ran a high displacement engine. Might be able to source them for a different header/pipe as well.

Never mind, it was a rear exhaust.

The MGT 8.0 header perhaps.

Update guys..The front and rear are finished this time, and the radio box has servos on the steering linkages fitted..Plus I've had to cut out the top part in the right chassis side frame, because the TT .70 sticks out a bit. But I'll be able to drop the whole engine assembly right in even with the truck complete.....

Attachments

• 100_1178.JPG
    100_1178.JPG
    324.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 100_1179.JPG
    100_1179.JPG
    328.9 KB · Views: 8
Update guys. The front and rear units are now completely finished (Plastic bumpers and shocks will be fitted later).. Radio box has the three servos installed with the steering linkages. Plus I had cut a piece out (from the rear right side frame).. Because the TT .70 mount sticks out by 3/4 inch ( Octane exhaust header even further out) . But that way I can fit the whole engine unit straight into the truck even when the truck is built (I don't have to remove one of the frames). Oh, the side frames are made by Fastlane Machines, and are 2 inches longer than the stranded ones (4mm thick too), and I had (Also) had to re-drill 2 new holes, cos the rear engine plate mount is further back..

Tomorrow I'll start fitting all them to one side of the frames first (Gearbox too)...

Attachments

• 100_1178.JPG
    100_1178.JPG
    324.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 100_1179.JPG
    100_1179.JPG
    328.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 100_1180.JPG
    100_1180.JPG
    339 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Guys, I fitted the left frame and the one hole that I drilled (for the Engine plate mount) lined up perfectly. But I was unable to fit the right side frame (Couldn't line the frame up)..Because I screwed up. I went to far forward cutting out the material and not enough towards the back.. I could cut more towards the back (To make the frame fit) . But there will be a big gap at the front of the cut out and will look horrible, so I have ordered another set of side frames.. But I will still have to cut off the top, and remove some material to wards the back (1/2 inch has to be removed).. But not towards to front. Though I will still have to drill a hole.. I might get it wrong the first time...But not the second time....

Oh, in case your wondering... The 2 engine mounts are from a XL Octane. I cut them shorter and drilled, tapped one hole each side, so I could screw the engine to the mounts.. But man, the mounts are hard as a rock cutting them shorter (With a hacksaw) took a while..

Still looking good eh???

Attachments

• 100_1182.JPG
    100_1182.JPG
    318.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 100_1183.JPG
    100_1183.JPG
    320.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 100_1184.JPG
    100_1184.JPG
    350.7 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
More work done on my Savage. But the I couldn't get the right side frame fitted at first because the bottom rear back plate screw was in the way, so I had to file some material off the frame ( Tried again).. But now the clutch fly wheel was hitting the frame (Engine would not turn), so this time I had to file a grove in to the frame (1.5mm deep), so the flywheel would be able clear the frame.. This time I was able to get the frame fitted (Phew!!!). The radio box is fitted with all the gear (I still have to connect up the throttle/brake servo though)..Bass spacer fitted in the rear as there's a big gap between the back of the engine and the rear bulkhead ( I don't want any flexing there)..Now I'm waiting for the shock dust covers to arrive, so I can fit those eight big bore aluminum shocks..

Oh I did have problems with the steering thing (in the middle), as it hit the front bulk head, so the fix was to buy the FLM one..Because it's the right shape to clear the bulkhead (Diff bulkheads are made by FLM too)....

Attachments

• 100_1186.JPG
    100_1186.JPG
    362.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 100_1187.JPG
    100_1187.JPG
    354.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Guy's Here's my custom built Savage just about finished. You see I've been working on it for about 1 year (It's 2.5 inches longer that a savage 5.9)... But now I'll have to look for a body that fits (Octane body is a bit small), so can anyone recommend one that's a bit longer... Oh, one last thing that since the fuel tank is small... I plan on fitting a heli header tank and the back of the truck.. That way the truck will have longer run times. (Picture will come when fitted).. I just hope that I can get the hex starter wand in there.. Because the header tank is longer than the other ones...

Attachments

• DSC00209.JPG
    DSC00209.JPG
    354.9 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC00208.JPG
    DSC00208.JPG
    331.6 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC00211.JPG
    DSC00211.JPG
    346.7 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC00207.JPG
    DSC00207.JPG
    366.6 KB · Views: 16
  • Header tank.jpg
    Header tank.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Nice build and man, that motor is huge. As for bodies, I'm usin IRC (Innovative RC) 1" rear + 6mm front extended TVPs and 10th scale short course bodies (HPI blitz) fit pretty good. And they are a bit wider too than stock savage bodies.

Maybe check the specs on the CEN genesis body, or the LST XXL. Guessing those are pretty long.

I found an LST2 body in my closet that I forgot about. Makes my savage X body look like a stampede. lol

Thanks for the info guys on the bodys (I'll check them all out.. and yes.. You should see the motor.. It looks very impressive in my Savage... Though can't fit the Savage 5.9 roll cage to protect the head, as it don't fit.... Because the head is too high...

That rig is crazy man!

Maybe it will have too much power?

One company used to make stretched bodies for pullers, maybe it was parma? Id check those out.

That rig is crazy man!

Maybe it will have too much power?

One company used to make stretched bodies for pullers, maybe it was parma? Id check those out.

I don't think that my Savage will have too much power from the motor.. Remember the Truck that the motor was designed for was the old Thunder Tiger EK4.. Which is a smaller MT and lighter than mine too.. Also it wheeled all the time too (From all that power), and single speed too, as for a body... I just bought is a MGT 8.0 one, and with shipping only cost me $37.00 (Though I hope that it's a big longer than the Octane body). Plus that truck has a gasser 15cc motor and it's the same length as other savages. Mine is 2.5 inches longer, so the 11.5cc nitro motor will be fine in my extended Savage...Though I'm not sure which motor has more power.. The HPI 15cc Gasser motor, or my Thunder Tiger .70 (11.5cc) Nitro motor...

Oh, you know what they say.. The bigger the motor the better the truck HEH!!!

Last edited:
Here's the Truck Guys.. Just waiting for the header tank , and that MGT 8.0 Body to arrive.. But the build is finished.. Phew!!!... Don't you all think that the motor is prefect in the truck eh? (The Truck is way bigger than the pics show)....You know what.. I would say it's now a 1/6 scale truck...

Oh, the starter is the HPI one, and I replaced the wring to 14swg (Was 16swg). Plus I fitted a Torque Master 550 motor (Ball Raced), and the battery for the starter, is a 11.1v 4000mAh 3-cell LiPo...

Attachments

• DSC00215.JPG
    DSC00215.JPG
    418.6 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC00217.JPG
    DSC00217.JPG
    445.1 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC00218.JPG
    DSC00218.JPG
    371.9 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC00205.JPG
    DSC00205.JPG
    283.7 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
That's a weird exhaust for a nitro truck. The engine and head looks crazy big in there even though it's stretched!

That's a weird exhaust for a nitro truck. The engine and head looks crazy big in there even though it's stretched!

Yep, the finned exhaust adapter is from a HPI Octane (Fitted perfectly.. Though it was very hard to find) , and the box muffler is from a HPI baja 5b.. You see.. The engine is a side exhaust one, so this is the only way to fit a muffler to it (Both can be fitted to the Octane too), and the large nitro engine looks just right in there for my stretched Savage... But you know what.. I'll have to run at least 10 Tanks of heli or plane fuel through it before it's fully broken in (Ringed engine)....

Last edited:
Well guys. My new savage build is finely finished, and I've also managed to fit a header fuel tank too.. Now to get the Octane body fitted...

Oh, what air filter would you recommend.....

Attachments

• Truck.JPG
    Truck.JPG
    287.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Truck-1.JPG
    Truck-1.JPG
    306.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Truck-2.JPG
    Truck-2.JPG
    304.6 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I had a ran at least 4 pro 70 engines in ek4s over the years,
But they always seemed under geared,
Then I got a Team Associated mgt 8.0 and swapped out the engine for the pro70,
It had huge low end torque but suffered a lot on top end

These engine are not very well suited to RC trucks they rev extremely low and absolutely Drink fuel,
A 28-30 size engine would be a better option,

It'll be a novelty for a short time, as it was when I had mine,
For me il never own another pro 70,
But hope you enjoyed your build.

NOO your wrong. This Savage is heavy so a 28-30 size engine won't cut it for this truck... The .70 will have plenty of torque and power for this truck (Like a gas engine)... You see this Savage is extended too (is longer that a normal size Savage). Using a 28-30 size engine would be like putting one in a 1/5th scale truck.. Wayyyy to small...

Oh, By the way.. I have a Duratrax Firehammer MT that I'm rebuilding, and will have a 36cc engine in it (Truck has all aluminum parts), and Gas engines don't rev very high too (Like the .70) But they do have lot's of torque..

Last edited:
I don't have any experience with those engines (the .70s) but your truck is not anything special as far as length lol, its the same size as a Savage XL, and that truck uses a .36 nitro engine (5.9cc) that is plenty powerful. I know you have a lot of alloy on this truck but even so I still think a regular big block nitro engine would get that thing going. Hell, I remember being able to pull wheelies when I converted my X to an XL and I only had the F4.6 engine (.28).

I think its neat you're doing something so different but I do think a regular nitro truck engine would be just fine!

Latest posts

Members online

Back