HIRISK's OFNA Linkage Set Up with pics and details

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HIRISK

Hi Guys,

I know this has been done to death by everyone, but I still thought it would be worth posting up how my set up was done and how it all went together.

This install has been done on my Savage X RTR with OS 30VG.

WHAT YOU NEED TO BUY
  • 1 x OFNA Linkage Kit (P/N #10724)
  • 1 x OFNA Linkage Sliders (P/N #10704)
  • 1 x OFNA Heavy Duty Servo Horn Kit (P/N #30661)

THE STOCK HPI ITEMS YOU WILL RE-USE
  • Stock HPI Brake Rod (long)
  • Stock HPI Brake Rod (short)
  • Stock HPI Throttle Mixer
  • Stock HPI Carb Link (mixer to carb)

savage-linkage-parts-needed.jpg

STEP 1 - REMOVE EXISTING LINKAGE SET UP
The first thing you want to do is remove the existing throttle and brake linkage set up. This will include the servo horn, linkages, springs, throttle mixer etc.

Once you have removed all these items you should end up with the following bits and pieces off your truck.

savage-linkage-step1.jpg

STEP 2 - PREPARE THE NEW GEAR FOR INSTALL
The next thing you want to do guys is prepare all the new items, as well as some old items from the original linkage set up for install.

I find that by laying everything out will help you visualize what you need and where it will all end up going.

You are going to have to bend the supplied OFNA threaded rod to a similar shape as the existing HPI throttle arm. Once you get it close, leave it for the moment, as once you install it you may find you need to change the shape a bit to suit.

Get the small silver OFNA ball end and nut and attach it to the throttle mixer. This is what the Blue OFNA ball connector and threaded rod will connect too.

Thread the Blue OFNA ball connection onto the the throttle rod too.

Get your existing HPI brake rod and put a small bend in it about half way between where the servo is and where it connects to the gearbox rod, this just helps it move freely. This bend only needs to be small.

You are also going to have to bolt the sliders that come with the kit to the servo horn. Use the long single bolt supplied, not the two small ones and connect BOTH Sliders to the OUTSIDE hole on the Servo Horn.

Here are some photos of the above items.

savage-linkage-step2.jpg

savage-linkage-step2b.jpg

** Please note the the top throttle slider on the below image was moved to the outer hole (as per described above) for a better fit and clearance. See the installed photos for reference.

savage-linkage-step2c.jpg

STEP 3 - INSTALL IT ALL ONTO THE TRUCK
Now the fun part, you get to fit it all onto the truck.

The first thing you need to do is get a small, maybe half inch round file and just file a small half circle into the radio box lid where the throttle rod ends. This gives just a little more clearance. Please see the installed photos for more details on where and how big this filed area is (not big at all and not noticeable).

Start by re-fitting the throttle mixer to the plastic bracket on the TVP.

Then attach your servo horn to the servo.

Attach the existing HPI brake rod assembly to the brake mount on the side of the gearbox and slide the rod through the lower slider on the servo horn. Instead of re using the HPI brake knob and spring, I opted for the OFNA metal end and a small piece of fuel tube - this will give a much more responsive and firm brake feel.

Make sure you have a Blue OFNA metal stop on the throttle rod BEFORE you slide it onto the slider.

Slide you new throttle rod through the top servo horn and attach the Blue OFNA ball end connector to the Silver OFNA ball end you installed on your throttle mixer. Finish off with the throttle spring and another OFNA metal stop once it is actually in the slider. Also connect the existing HPI carb link to the throttle mixer and carb slide.

See below for the install and finished linkage.

savage-linkage-installed-01.jpg

savage-linkage-installed-02.jpg

savage-linkage-installed-03.jpg

savage-linkage-installed-04.jpg

savage-linkage-installed-05.jpg

Very well done bud. Great job and give yourself a pat on the back. Here's some rep points for ya.

I also added it to FX's how to list.

very nice set up, well laid out pictures. i have the same setup sitting in my toolbox awaiting my attention to install it. thanks!

extremely well done my friend with great clear pics and easy to understand info.. reps sent!!

I'm very interested to hear how big of a difference this mod makes as compared to the stock setup... letting us know how it works out for ya will be appreciated as i've been contemplating this mod for a long time lol

No problem,

Happy to report back.

The only problem is that the 4 Savages I have owened over the years have all had this modification done prior to me even running the trucks, so I honestly do not know how the stock set up feels.

But I can assure you that the stock brake set up is certainly not going to be as effective as this. The OFNA set up will definately provide a much stronger and firmer brake action.

Perfect review, short, sweet, and to the point. Great pics...well done. REP for you. :jamout:

Hi neohio,

It is not important, you can run any servo horn you like.

But one thing that IS important when choosing a servo horn is making sure that the MINIMUM length of the horn is 1.22" (31mm) as anything shorter than this will give you binding issues with the sliders hitting the radio box.

The OFNA HD Servo Horn I have used is 1.22" (31mm) and I have just enough clearance, but really, another 5mm would have been nice.

How important is it to run the Ofna servo horn kit?

Well one thing to keep in mind, is that OFNA has changed the kit involved with this mod. Yeah, I found out the hard way. The kit i got from them didnt include the little metal ball that the thottle arm connects to. don't order a kit online, get it at a hobby shop so you can make sure it has that part. Without it you have to jerryrig it like I did. I needed to do EXTENSIVE modifications to it in order for it to work, and even now my throttle is messed up. Just check that part.

very cool. my brakes suck so ill give this a try

I did the OGNA mod as you described and it's working well.

One question: on the long brake rod I see only one metal stopper. I see on other members that they used 2 metal stoppers (both ways) (so when throttle, you push the brake rod to full open).

Are there any explanations? Mine ins working well, but just to check... Thanks

One question: on the long brake rod I see only one metal stopper. I see on other members that they used 2 metal stoppers (both ways) (so when throttle, you push the brake rod to full open).

Are there any explanations? Mine ins working well, but just to check... Thanks

Kat, haven't seen Hirisk around in a long time but yea, your right. a lot of dudes would take the fuel tube off the brake link & put the metal collar up tight to the plastic slider so your brakes get full 'push' from the servo.

put a spring & collar on the other side so the brake cam moves into full release position when your on throttle & don't hang up.

Last edited by a moderator:
so i did the metal disk brake upgrade and wow a huge diff. i can do stoppies now and it only cost 20$

Kat, haven't seen Hirisk around in a long time but yea, your right. a lot of dudes would take the fuel tube off the brake link & put the metal collar up tight to the plastic slider so your brakes get full 'push' from the servo.

put a spring & collar on the other side so the brake cam moves into full release position when your on throttle & don't hang up.
- this is what I was talking about. Disn't see this metal collar in Hirisk's pics.

Here it is, I modified his pic to show what I'm asking (hope he doesn't mind)..

So, you recommend to put a metal collar there... Thanks..

- this is what I was talking about. Disn't see this metal collar in Hirisk's pics.

Here it is, I modified his pic to show what I'm asking (hope he doesn't mind)..

So, you recommend to put a metal collar there... Thanks..

don't mean to take over your thread hirisk, just tryin to assist the Kat, this thread has helped tons of us :peace:

Me neither. Just trying to understand better and not to mess things up. (especially since I can only order pieces from US and it's taking a while+transport costs...)

Thanks all. Great forum and people here..

Thanks for taking the time to do this write. The thread is going great for that matter. Been doing this mod for a several yrs, works great. It one hopup that should not be over looked.

I just started setting this up and noticed that I'm missing the OFNA ball. I got all the items as specified. Why is it not in there? Where would I get it?

P1010382.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Back