Gear Chart for Savage Flux

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frddyj

Gear ratios for the Savage Flux HP using different spur and pinion gears.

savage-flux-hp-gear-ratio-chart.png

Gear ratio details:

A Lower numbered Ratio is actually a "Higher Ratio" and = Higher Top End, Slower Acceleration. More heat generated.
  • Why? Because the wheels turn at a higher rate the lower the ratio.
  • Higher Top Speed - Less chance of wheelies.

A Higher numbered Ratio is actually a "Lower Ratio" and = Quicker Acceleration, Lower Top end. Less heat generated.
  • Why? Because the wheels turn at a lower rate the higher the ratio.
  • Lower Top Speed - More chance of wheelies, better low speed power.

BIG CAUTION!!!

Castle has said you can take that chart and throw it right out, don't use the 25T at all. HPI only included that gear to validate the 100kph claim on the box. The only circumstances under which you should ever use it is to make short straight line top-speed runs, then allow it to cool...

I checked that calculator - gave me Flux speeds of 33 mph approx on 4S - is that right? I've seen posts stating more like 45mph on stock gearing with 4S - My Baja RTR goes faster than the calculator speed - although not sure I input correctly.

Sounds like you didn't get the tire size right(for some reason they don't include the stock tires for the Flux as a choice), or forgot to add a value for tire ballooning.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 22t pinion and 44t spur. 4s batteries. Everything is getting super hot

Motor max temp 220
Wires 180
Esc mm2 180

I think these numbers are high.

I have a 22t pinion and 44t spur. 4s batteries. Everything is getting super hot

Motor max temp 220
Wires 180
Esc mm2 180

I think these numbers are high.

at that you are running 2.00, try going to an 18 and see how that responds, constantly running it hot will eventually cost you......

at that you are running 2.00, try going to an 18 and see how that responds, constantly running it hot will eventually cost you......

I have a 15 at home. I will try that and go from there

What's the 22 pinion used for if it makes everything so hot and dangerous then?

Why do people do speed runs that last for a couple of seconds only? What's the purpose behind it ?

Why do people do speed runs that last for a couple of seconds only? What's the purpose behind it ?

Come on man you know the answer, because it's there, same reason people rock crawl. because they wanna do it.......same reason people dragrace 1/1 stuff. to see how fast it can go, ever seen Bonneville and the crazys that run there, they do it to go faster than the other guy can....

Ohh Yaa. That's a stupid question on my behalf I'm sorry. FYI the 15t pinion with the 44 spur reduced my temperatures by 50 minimum

Gear ratios for the Savage Flux HP using different spur and pinion gears.

savage-flux-hp-gear-ratio-chart.png

Gear ratio details:

A Lower numbered Ratio is actually a "Higher Ratio" and = Higher Top End, Slower Acceleration.
  • Why? Because the wheels turn at a higher rate the lower the ratio.
  • Higher Top Speed - Less chance of wheelies.

A Higher numbered Ratio is actually a "Lower Ratio" and = Quicker Acceleration, Lower Top end.
  • Why? Because the wheels turn at a lower rate the higher the ratio.
  • Lower Top Speed - More chance of wheelies, better low speed power.

so the higher the gear the hotter it runs?

No it is misleading, higher numerical ratio your rig will go a bit slower and generate less heat, A lower numerical ratio will run things a bit hotter with a higher top speed....

I have a savage I'm working on now. It a bit heavy, I have a 52 on the diff an a 20 on the motor. I through them on just to see it come to life but this is my first brushless rig a have built, it is all aluminum an I running a 2650 with a Momba monster extreme esc, I would like it to be low an geared down because it will be a sled pull truck on 6s any tips guys?

So 4.33 would be a gear reduction?
An would run cooler?

4.3 would be a very large gear reduction, which is probably what you want for pulling. A 2200kV motor might also have been a better choice, as a lower kV motor has the same effect as a lower gearing.

I'm not sure what you're asking.

A higher kV motor spins faster and has less torque. A lower kV motor is the opposite, with slower speeds and more torque. This affects the temperature of the motor the same way gearing does.

Damn I thought the more kv the stronger. Shows what I know lol
What you were thinking is "turns" which works opposite of Kv rating. Higher the number of turns, the more torque but less RPM. Kv tells you how many "free" rpm you can turn per volt applied.

Last edited:
For clarity: Turns is a measure of how the motor is constructed, i.e. how many times the winding is wrapped around the armature. kV is a measure of performance, i.e. how many RPM the motor will spin at when given 1 volt (not actually how that works, but close enough for a rule of thumb).

Last edited:
So basically I need the 2200kv or reduce my gearing cuz I smoked the 6s packs idk, they were smoking but they charges an I'm still using them for a racing car lol idk it's always something

I also have the same issue. Running 44 - 20 burnt my slipper clutch running 6s 5,000mah Burnt my index finger since I have metal on metal gears. Think maybe it be better to go plastic on metal. I changed out the stock esc with mamba max which hasn't been a better replacement.

Is a 44 spur and a16 pinon a good starting ratio for my MMX with 2200kv and 5200mah 50c bats on my flux conversion? Any input appreciated

Tekin Rx8/T8 1700Kv
had 20/44
went to robinson 16/48
lots less chatter, and gears mesh much better
been to cold to run it

Hi guys I hav the savage flux hp and hav a 52tooth spur gear on it! It's in the xl frame! So I hav put a 13tooth pinion gear on the motor runs very nicely and cold! But I need more speed so what's the biggest pinion gear I could run with the 52tooth spur? Plz guys help needed!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back