FLM Ofna 250 Mid Tank Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the information - is the spur gear OK to use still - just wondered why there was an update/revision - it does feel kind of light but is that a sign of an upcoming durability issue?
 
I've currently got a HPI lightened 17t clutchbell in there - I think if I push the clutch bell out further it will expose the clutch shoes as they are just grinning through as it is already.

It could either be the FLM TVP frame that needs a trim, or the carb on the LRP 4.1 - because I can feel some rubbing there - but then there is also the FLM engine plate that needs notching?

Not sure - will get some photos to explain - I keep coming back to these engine plate shims that HPI are now offering that they never used to - is it a design thing - albeit i'm using aftermarket TVPs?
 
I've currently got a HPI lightened 17t clutchbell in there - I think if I push the clutch bell out further it will expose the clutch shoes as they are just grinning through as it is already.

It could either be the FLM TVP frame that needs a trim, or the carb on the LRP 4.1 - because I can feel some rubbing there - but then there is also the FLM engine plate that needs notching?

Not sure - will get some photos to explain - I keep coming back to these engine plate shims that HPI are now offering that they never used to - is it a design thing - albeit i'm using aftermarket TVPs?
That old slipper setup wi the rubber fing wich is in them pics I sent is junk n massive the usual recent stock 1s are slimmer n loads better gi you bit more room n more power n ye I noticed people av engine shimms on the newest savages n never add any FLM tvps all them answers be on YouTube vids n ye the new Hpi spurs are lot less bulky 👍👊
 
How/where did you mount the steering servo - I'm using a Savox and wanted to keep the rubber mounting grommets as a bit of a buffer - wondering if the cushion the rubber grommet is taking up means that the skid plate mount is getting squished.

Would it be OK to run a servo mounted solid to the TVP without the rubber grommets?
Been running solid forever. Threw in what I had lying around. New servos aren’t in yet
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4352.webp
    IMG_4352.webp
    181.4 KB · Views: 6
Few updates after waiting for some parts - decided to swap out the Spur gear for one off of eBay - that is the one in the middle:
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1488.webp
    IMG_1488.webp
    225.6 KB · Views: 1
No matter which way I tried to mount the LRP 4.1 I couldn't get the 47T/17T combination of Spur and Clutch to work - so have gone with a 16T Clutch Bell instead - just dropping one tooth on the Clutch Bell has created a lot more wiggle room to get the mesh just right - look at the size difference between the 17T and 16T clutch bell:
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1492.webp
    IMG_1492.webp
    198.5 KB · Views: 1
This is what the new Spur Gear looks like - seems solid and decent metal - and now the gear mesh is ok - I just don't have enough forward adjustment to get the Spur and Clutch Bell aligned perfectly - but because the Spur gear is thicker I'm getting a better contact so hopefully this will be OK:
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1495.webp
    IMG_1495.webp
    163.4 KB · Views: 1
I decided to ditch the idea of using the engine mount shims as the contact patch between the engine plate and mount is significantly reduced:
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1503.webp
    IMG_1503.webp
    379 KB · Views: 1
I think I can just get away without the engine mount shims as the carb just clears the right-hand side TVP - can just about see a bit of daylight through the gap:
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1499.webp
    IMG_1499.webp
    236.4 KB · Views: 1
After installing the new 16T HPI Clutch Bell - it did need these shims to reduce the amount of play - but left a small amount of play to factor in any expansion when the motor gets up to temperature:
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1493.webp
    IMG_1493.webp
    168 KB · Views: 1
Here are some other photos - other changes was going for the actual XL roll cage rather than the zip ties - thought this might hold up and be a bit more durable if/when the truck lands/rolls on its lid - other change is moving from the stainless steel to red fibre disc brakes:
 
note that the standard roll cage handle (LHS) is slightly different to the XL Roll cage (RHS)
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1510.webp
    IMG_1510.webp
    362.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1509.webp
    IMG_1509.webp
    414.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1506.webp
    IMG_1506.webp
    122 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1501.webp
    IMG_1501.webp
    183.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1500.webp
    IMG_1500.webp
    136.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1499.webp
    IMG_1499.webp
    236.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1497.webp
    IMG_1497.webp
    198 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1511.webp
    IMG_1511.webp
    356.8 KB · Views: 1
Things left on the list of to do:
- Radio box
- Throttle linkage
- Battery mount
- Thread lock everything
- Order some new fuel line
- Order a new hex drive for the the new red fibre brake disc to slot on to
- Set the toe in/out
- Dial in the steering linkage and end points etc
- Runin the LRP
- Bash it
- Maybe sway bars - found these really make a difference with body roll - helps keep the truck planted
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top