Engine Modding Leave it for the pros!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well stated Robin and I love the quote.

I agree I have been pretty poor at posting back the results on my engines. I may have done most of them with a worded description but have never posted a video. Crash does a great job at this, he posts vids for everything. I will try to get some vids when it worms up and get them posted on how these things run.

I guess I have poor excuses for this but like I said I really don't have a person to do this and don't have a video camera all I have is my digi camera. I also am so excited to go out and bash that I forget all about it. I will have to do a better job at this.

You need to get some vids up as well but my last post was directed more at the general public with all the threads started about flow and mod jobs. I said what I figured should be mentioned, we're cool, I'm not bustin your chops :)

I know you were directing it toward the general public but I am also one of them. I have not posted any videos of my stuff, I thought I would mention that I have not had one fail yet. Some of the ones I have done didn't show any noticeable power difference, but I have not and any that decreased other than who knows about the worn out HPI S25 I did.

lol cool my man. Yea, that deal behind closed doors I feel is behind allot of animosity. Some people sink ships bud choose them wisely..

Gonna look at the bits in a sec. I also had too many people want me to do their mill after I posted the LRP. They all got a fat NO. and PYRO next to begged... Its hard to say no but its in best interest for all to keep mods in house. When they say I don't care if it blows up they don't truly mean it! I would not let anyone do a mill till I knew of 15+ jobs all went well and none blew up. I wont even use RB mods for issues he has made. I give the nod to AB and Robin. I was also told the OS-28 in the vid A B showed blew up. But that's not confirmed Just what a guy that's no longer a member here told me...
That engine did not blow up I can assure you of that. It is still going strong and will be used by the owner of it to set another speed record for AB Mods :) Crazy how false information gets thrown around on the internet so fast lol.

That engine did not blow up I can assure you of that. It is still going strong and will be used by the owner of it to set another speed record for AB Mods :) Crazy how false information gets thrown around on the internet so fast lol.

LOL, I completely hear ya there. Glad to hear that mill's still smoking hot running like a champ.

I am the one who did the road test on the ABmods Drag modified OS .28

I confirm the engine is still working! stronger than ever! :)

Its the engine seen in the vid earlier in this thread, and i will be running this engine this summer.

Heres a vid of it before i sent it back to ABmods for the dyno runs:

Ofna DM1 16T 20T gearing(stock)

http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z75/mike_peperni/?action=view&current=abmodsdragmodOS28_0001.flv

The engine was not in optimal temp in this vid but show its potential :)
Will run solid 72mph this summer.

Mike

Thats sweet Mike. It must be another people are talking about on the other sites now. Thats why I said it was unconfirmed.. I don't belive much told these days!

Last edited by a moderator:
on BYT's forums, I saw an engine modding thread that was stickied. the funny part about that is the pictures of the mod in that thread had to be some of the worst modding ive ever seen. there had to be minimal power gain from that mod. its really hard to trust anyone with your engines....

on BYT's forums, I saw an engine modding thread that was stickied. the funny part about that is the pictures of the mod in that thread had to be some of the worst modding ive ever seen. there had to be minimal power gain from that mod. its really hard to trust anyone with your engines....

lets see some pictures of your fine modifications

Yep thats why you don't send a motor to a "buddy" you send it to a pro... I would send a motor to only 4 guys on the entire net.

Ask first and ask more then one person when you get 10 answers that are the same its not hard to make a choice.

well....now it's time for mine 2 cents. i would dare try to mod something..... i am an automobile guru.....and even i take my stuff to other people to get worked on. perfect example is the engine for the Beast....i could've done the engine......but i didn't want to miss anything.....so i let racingrusty do it. he does those ALL THE TIME. i can't throw away hard earned cash like that. i went to Robin because he was recommended to me by about 9 people. he knew how to talk to people....very informative. and now? he's doing my 2nd mod.....and will definitely be getting all my engines from now on. not bashinig anyone cuz that ain't my style......but i stick with the pros. and larsen....but respect for coming and saying that was your work...not many guys would do that. much respect.

and...i don't go to any other r/c forum.....this is my family.....and this is who i stay with. i know most of the people personally......and i respect hpisf that much....

just my 2 cents.........

i have put my own engines under the round knife one has been run since doing it and the other hasn't been fired yet. the reason i did it i knew i was going to be ordering a new mill this season and i have. my new picco that i ordered is only going to robin as i have seen the end result of what he does to these piccos. i would never cut on an engine for anybody else unless the mill was junk anyways. i practiced on junk sleeves before i cut on the good mill

i agree 100%....don't bother trying to mod your engine because you will most probably screw up the timing etc. leave it to the pros....you might save a couple of bucks but you will not save your engine because it will get screwed up. pay the extra buck and get a guaranteed engine...

I know this thread is a little old but it was a great read. For what its worth I will gladly donate two old Traxxas 3.3 engines for you to practice on Larsen...and don't worry you CAN keep them regardless!!! I will even ship em on my dime.

It's funny how a modifier gets blamed for everything. I have been modding over 30 years and made my fare share of mistakes. Mostly it is the person running to rich or the needles are off or his tune. If a bearing goes bad or a rod gets thrown it's always the modders fault. I hold more records then any other modder out and you don't get to the international level being a hack.

It's funny how a modifier gets blamed for everything. I have been modding over 30 years and made my fare share of mistakes. Mostly it is the person running to rich or the needles are off or his tune. If a bearing goes bad or a rod gets thrown it's always the modders fault. I hold more records then any other modder out and you don't get to the international level being a hack.

well said bud. I think once you put your trust in your modder, its in your hands after that. If you don't do enough research to make sure your paying the right man, then the consumer is to blame.

Once the engines leave our hands we have no control over how there treated, tuned or maintained. This is the part that always worrys me...

And RB you are correct, you don't get on a international level or set world records being a hack that's for sure.

Latest posts

Members online

Back