Duc's quacky brushless build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
need some longer vids duc. get some showing the 5s power. truck looks great tho truly a nice high end build. any weight guesses?

well on day two, all i can say is this........ DO NOT TURN OFF THE RADIO WHEN THE ESC HAS POWER STILL! wow. so i hit a curb, busted a lower shock mount and popped off a turn buckle. so i went to pick it up and out of habbit i turned off the radio.. thank god it was on its lid and not on the whells. cuz it went full tilt! but i turned the radio back on and all was well. this thing is a HAND FULL! 5s pack is crazy! i can get this thing on its cage and it will skid for a long time with sparks flyin! (steel cage on pavement) its so much fun. i can even climb with it by blipin the throttle and "hopping" up on things. just to much fun.... way to much fun.

also to address battery protection i made some bulkheads and used the high density foam from the RSC packaging to make a protective shell for the battery.
here you can see the two bulkheads i made from 1/8 alum.
001-13.jpg

here is the foam glued to the bottom of my ESC mount to keep the battery from jumping up.
002-12.jpg

and here it is all together. the battery has some super thick electrical tape i had left over from the USAF. tought stuff. i could not find felt or the right kind of rubber to protect the battery from chaffin. this will work great. that battery CAN NOT MOVE! its great.
003-9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
so after losing 2 wheel nuts to the same striped out terra pin tire, i switched to my badlands. they should be called mulchers. in grass they shoot up rooster tails of grass. great hook up and power transfer in turns and from a stop. on the pavement they did make the wheelies much easier to control.
001-14.jpg

one other thing i did was cut off the stops on the RSC. that made a HUGE difference in the way the beast handled in the turns. after the run i didi noticed that the plate that the steering servo BENT the plate its attached too. so i will have to brace that up i think.
002-13.jpg

what kind of videos do you guys want to see?

what kind of videos do you guys want to see?[/QUOTE]

We want to see them all Duc!!!:lmao:

i noticed that the plate that the steering servo BENT the plate its attached too. so i will have to brace that up i think.
002-13.jpg

someone help me understand how a servo is capable of doing this without being destroyed :dunno:

I have no idea fred. it works great! no flaws of any type. but i looked at it and...... well you can see. its not much. but damn.... i have no idea.

and here is that pic you wanted scott.

003-10.jpg

someone help me understand how a servo is capable of doing this without being destroyed :dunno:
Slap ... the Back of the plate has no brace to the tvp. From the pic I see its free from the bell crank back to move on impact how many time you bounce it of the cage duc?

kinda what i was gettin at. i think the plate bent as a result of an upside down impact vs. a result of servo torque.

bet you can come up with a brace to correct it tho.

thats what I'm not sure about. that would be one hell of a hit. and she has not had that happen......... yet. when you crank the "wheel" the flex from the plate going up and down is crazy. i need to make up a brace and bend that back. if i hold it down with force, the steering works better. on another note. the carriers don't hit the hubs on the RSC mod. the marks are from the stubs i cut off. they almost touch but not quite. and no issues of dog bones going crazy and popin out

019.jpg

there is not much to that plate behind the the bell crank posts. its need a brace just b4 the tranny. a 400 oz servo is only 2 foot pounds of torque I shake a hand harder then that... it was not the servo. A upside flop can put a easy 20 pounds of force on it.

also: (RSC) when its driving mine do hit. Not when its sitting or from the servo though. Inside wheel can slap it. No issue 2 years and still going ..

Last edited by a moderator:
So after some bashing. loosing of screw (cuz i did not lock tight). it was time for a tare down and clean & check. so that massive battery bent the base plate and stop i made so i had to re-enforce the stop plate. i added a second screw on the side, and a brass brace next to the trans.
014-3.jpg

then after that a tackled that servo plate. so i also added a brass brace to keep it from felxing.
015-2.jpg

i did catch a rock in the rear lower control arm area. Then the diff cup decided to carve groves in to it. how i wedged its self in there i have no idea.

BURN BABY BURN........... no clue what happened..... sigh. i just hope the battery is ok...
001-16.jpg

002-15.jpg

003-11.jpg

004-10.jpg

005-7.jpg

Toasty....
006-7.jpg

and my alum base plate that protected the batt... i hope....

007-7.jpg

Oh my gosh dude!

The battery will likely be fine...plug it into the charger with the balancer and see how the cells look (don't charge it just view the cells).

cells seem to be fine and charging fine, it never went under 3 volts. now i need to find that traxxas part number and a new ESC... weeee!

that was 44/20, stock flux gearing. i only ran it for a few min, mill never got over 100 degress. i know i have pushed it WAY harder then that. must be a glitch. I'm going to call them tomrrow

WOW, Duc that stinks Dude!!!!

wow.........................................................................................................................................................

i called castle today. after telling them what happened they are sending me a new one! YAY! the tech department there are super nice to deal with. we BS'd most of the time. great folks

i called castle today. after telling them what happened they are sending me a new one! YAY! the tech department there are super nice to deal with. we BS'd most of the time. great folks

Good to hear man.. At least you don't have to come out of your pocket!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back