Can’t decide on what 1/5 scale

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juarezd

Ok guys haven’t posted in a while but I’ve been back in the hobby for a while again. I currently have a HPI Savage x and a traxxas e-Maxx Brushless. I’ve been really thinking about getting a 1/5 2stroke rc. I really like the hpi Baja 5b Tsk-b kraken but don’t like the fact it’s 2 wheel drive. I’ve also looked into the Losi k&n dbxl like that it’s 4 wheel drive but still lean more towards the Baja. I’ve also looked at the Losi 5ive-T but ain’t too convinced on it. I’ve also seen the Kraken vekta which is priced high but if worth it I could wait a lil longer. I haven’t seen neither in person just online. I plan on jumping them so need them to hold up pretty well. Yes I do realize they break and need maintance. Does anyone have any input on either one. I really would hate to spend the money and not like what I get. I’m honestly leaning towards the Baja but not sure how the 2 wheel drive affects handling while on the ground or in the air. Also open to other recommendations and currently have no price range the cost just means the length I’ll have to wait lol. Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Ok thanks woodie I’ll check the forum out. Been looking at vekta but I’ll be looking at about 2200 for everything. Honestly the thing I don’t like about the 5ive-t is that it’s similar to the slash. I’m sure it’s a unfair comparison but by any chance do have any first hand experience with jumping it and how well the suspension holds? Also what type of ground clearance it has?

I second the 5ive t, I don't own one but a guy I run with sometimes has one. It's a awesome rig, great handling and tough.

I have been looking for a 1/5 for a while, just never found the right deal. I personally think the Baja buggy platform is a great setup with plentiful parts.

The DBXL to me is more of a entry level 1/5. Still a nice setup but I have read about the handling not being the best and the motor that comes factory on it leaves you wishing it had more power.

Some people frown at it but there is actually companies that have a complete ripoff of the Baja. Rovan and king motor. Is the quality as good as HPI, probably not but for a starter 1/5 it might be a route to think about.

Again, I don't own any of these but I have done my fair share of research on them as I am also looking :)

Last edited:
I have a Baja SS with a Zenoah 23CC... I love it. I have ridden it hard and it runs like a champ. But if I bought another.... Vekta....

Ive tried the losi 5t and dbxl and they bought handle good! I like the dbxl its lighter.. I want to buy the electric one. Atm i only own baja 5t and 5b tho.if u want a 4wd i go with losi..

I have a Losi DB xle. It's super solid and fast as hell. I'm sure the gas version is awesome too. It does insane power slides on the pavement even with the dirt tires

Hey guys my lil brothers got the losi dbxl. It’s an awesome rc. There was some things he complained about but wasn’t anything major or serious to knock it out. I actually decided to with the vekta. Sadly spent sometime without working so that purchase is getting set aside for the mean while. Thanks for everyone’s input.

I had the 5B as my only 1/5th scale so far. Probably would have kept it if I had a garage. As it was, storing it in my apt after running stunk up the house with gas fumes for a week, even after hitting it with a hose before bringing it up.

With the shorty chassis conversion, it handled a lot better. I kind of got it to have something to run in the winter. My brain didn't correlate that a ass heavy 2wd rig with 2" of ground clearance probably wasn't going to be a beast in the snow... until I ran it the first time. It wasn't. Live and learn.

If I ever tried 1/5th again, it would be 4wd without a doubt. 2wd just sucks for handling, stopping, jumping, terrain...

Ya I'm not impressed with my 2wd 5b at all, i got it for $250 and it has $300 in upgrades, i am currently waiting for a new engine and tuned pipe as well as a few carbs for the stock engine it has.

I just relisted it for sale for $450 cdn A-RTR. With all the parts and stuff I'm still loosing money, and didnt even get to see it run yet, it just seems too low and heavy so i lost interest in it all together.

I'll have to say the dbxl-e ground clearance is pretty low too.. I would definitely jack the suspension all the way up if I was going to drive it off road much. It just got a set of road slicks and suspension stiffened up all the way

Thanks for the heads up guy and 4 wheel drive is definitely a selling point for me. More than likely I’ll be taking it the sand dunes nearby. Took my savage out there a few times and cleaning it after was always fun lol. @olds97_lss thanks for the heads up I know my brother said it does have a strong gas odor when put up but I’ll be leaving it in my unattached storage shed along with the other 2 toys.

I prefer 2wd myself, because I enjoy the challenge of driving one. I have (5) HPI Bajas, an MCD gen 1, Redcat tt, and some FG models, including a 4wd FG Baja. I prefer the challenge of making a car perform, and with some work, and HPI Baja can definitely drive great, and do very well on a track too.

And this track was Dry slick this day, and we were still getting around it quite well.

I prefer 2wd myself, because I enjoy the challenge of driving one. I have (5) HPI Bajas, an MCD gen 1, Redcat tt, and some FG models, including a 4wd FG Baja. I prefer the challenge of making a car perform, and with some work, and HPI Baja can definitely drive great, and do very well on a track too.

And this track was Dry slick this day, and we were still getting around it quite well.

I'll be the first to say that I cannot drive well. You'd think after 20 years, one would have some sort of skill. Then again, launching out of a skate park doesn't require much skill... ;)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back