Bad Tsais

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, today was kinda cold to bash so I took my axial 28 rr spec 1 apart to see what improvements could be made to the porting.

I didnt get too crazy but, increased all the intake ports and polished the sleeve and crank. did a little modding on crank to.

It was actually easy after doing a little research on my own on how to port and polish I just did it.

I just put it into the savy and ran a tank through it, I wish someone had a camera to catch me giggling like a school girl with a remote in my hand like the first rc I ever had.

It has the feeling of that brushless power I have been craving, this is sick.

I know probably should of let it be done by a pro but, as it happens I'm still broke from x mas. and I was bored.

sorry no pics, my camera was dead and I was too excited to wait for it to charge.

Ill take it apart for inspection soon and Ill take some pics & video

worth.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Crash,

congrat's on the mod, you guys are much braver than I am at this point:resp: (the trouble a header caused me the last couple days, gone to be a while before I go grinding on my motor's innards.) although you do have me thinking about it.

what I am curious about is the cost of having one done and the amount of work you put into it, is it worth the money to have done (assuming you have similar results)?

CP mods (crash and parkermarsh mods???):40:

thanks

shiftpoint,

Havn a engine modded is not extremly expensive.

to have done what I did to mine is about 85-105 dollars,

I never considered modding my engine untill I saw the video of a modded picco 28 on ab mods website.

It is not the same engine anymore, I am so excited to run it again.

I will be modding my 4.6k next and every engine I ever own.

gee thanx crash now ya got me wanting to mod my 4.1 lol will this obsession ever stop? lmao

shiftpoint,

Havn a engine modded is not extremly expensive.

to have done what I did to mine is about 85-105 dollars,

I never considered modding my engine untill I saw the video of a modded picco 28 on ab mods website.

It is not the same engine anymore, I am so excited to run it again.

I will be modding my 4.6k next and every engine I ever own.

Yes, I saw those videos too, and I am going to start looking for info on learning how to do it myself.

If you don't mind could you tell us. after you knew what to do, about how long did it take you to do yours, say after taking the motor apart? what kind of tools did you use? could it all be done with a dremmel? if so what kind of bits did you use to polish it?

I cant wait to see yours run, I guess you can't either. I would like to see a nice long run like the video you made ding the loooong wheelie.

thanks

Yes, I saw those videos too, and I am going to start looking for info on learning how to do it myself.

If you don't mind could you tell us. after you knew what to do, about how long did it take you to do yours, say after taking the motor apart? what kind of tools did you use? could it all be done with a dremmel? if so what kind of bits did you use to polish it?

I cant wait to see yours run, I guess you can't either. I would like to see a nice long run like the video you made ding the loooong wheelie.

thanks

thanks, shiftpoint

It took about 2-3 hours all together start to finish.

The actuall mod work took about an hour and halph.

I used a dremel and various grinding atachments to remove the material then polished it with the polishing attachments that came with the dremel.

I used a small amount of polishing compound also came with the dremel.

It is goin to warm here today, Ill try to get some video.

Cool, I got a great Name for a mod company, Crash's Mods and Wheelie bars:Xfingers: Man I love those wheelie bars you made, finally I broe down and bought HPI'sWB and I am not that happy with it, still flips over pretty easy.

Going to have to make some, I guess.

Alright today is a happy day,

got to do a full out test of the axial.

decided that what I did by modding it helped alot. so, not one to leave good
enough alone, tore the mill down for some more modding.

heres the pics
axialmodpolish002.jpg

axialmodpolish005.jpg

axialmodpolish008.jpg

axialmodpolish009.jpg

axialmodpolish011.jpg

axialmodpolish013.jpg

axialmodpolish014.jpg

axialmodpolish015.jpg

axialmodpolish017.jpg

axialmodpolish018.jpg

axialmodpolish019.jpg

axialmodpolish021.jpg

axialmodpolish022.jpg

axialmodpolish023.jpg

axialmodpolish024.jpg

axialmodpolish026.jpg

axialmodpolish025.jpg

So, I got to test it again after second stage of modding.

THIS THING IS AMAZING!

I got the lowend power it was lacking this morning during testing.

Also, I found that it was way lean.

I did not realize how much more fuel it would need, I'm 1.5 turns in on my needle

It held 159 degrees the whole tome I beat on it.

I did manage to hit a tree and break a swing arm, o well it was worth it.

This truck is everything it should be now this engine throws the truck around like its a light weight buggy.

feel free to grill me with questions about how I did this.

axialmodpolish029.jpg

Crash, so when are you gonna start to offer a mod service for us HPISF members? Some may be interested. hint hint.

I am going to mod my hpi 4.6 k

If I can get the same results, Ill be happy to grind on your mill.

You definitely need to pair that motor up with a buku, got mine today, and it increases power ALOT

Hey Crash, can I get a pic of the stone you ran up the crank? That's the one thing I couldn't get with what I had. Watch the front bearing on that thing close, I got a feeling she's gonna start acting up after a couple tanks.

Hey Crash, can I get a pic of the stone you ran up the crank? That's the one thing I couldn't get with what I had. Watch the front bearing on that thing close, I got a feeling she's gonna start acting up after a couple tanks.

how dare you curse my front bearing. lol

I am going to upgrade the bearings to hopefully prevent this.

Ill get you a pic of the round stone, reeming out the crank journal is important imo. Could not get a good polish in there but, its larger and smooother than before.

:resp:

Got a new project I've been working on.

Thought I'd share with ya

savageskidplates001.jpg

savageskidplates002.jpg

I have not finished so screw are not counter sunk.

savageskidplates008.jpg

savageskidplates011.jpg

savageskidplates012.jpg

savageskidplates006.jpg

To account for drive gear on diff that sits lower than flush, I hammered the aluminum to get the proper clearance

savageskidplates010.jpg

ok the old plastic skids are 3 oz.
the new aluminum skids are 3.10 oz.
not a big increase and as you can see in the pics there is more modding to be done to upper part of skid. That will be much narrower.

cost 15 bucks / ace hardware

skid plates update, lookn sweeeet
savageskidplates020.jpg
[/IMG]
.....................I'll be cutting the square bar off behind the skid. still fine tuning everything
savageskidplates019.jpg
[/IMG]

looks good crash i have one like that which i made but i put it on top of the original plastic one. post some pics up once its complete!!!
nice job
4x4

those are Integy's heavy duty set

the regular set are pretty weak, these are better

My recomendation is get titanium

Crash, didn't you do the Cen diff upgrade? If so, you don't need to add "the dent" under the ring gear. I noticed when I did my upgrade that the cen diff ring sits inside the diff housing. Just some info for ya.

Thanks Extreme,
My cen upgrade is only halph done. Its on the shelf rite now on hold.

I got busy with makn skids, porting and rebuilding my nephews Rustler.

savageskidplates023.jpg

savageskidplates024.jpg

needs some more grinding to smooth out edges
savageskidplates025.jpg

almost done with the skids

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back