$8 PVC Savage Stand

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
great post I'm going to home depot as right now to buy the pvc and make my stand. Its christmas eve and I cant wait for santa to bring me one haha

My only question is will it work good with a buggy too. I have been trying to think of a design that will go between my buggy and savage!

Yeah, I did up one of these two when I first got my truck.. cost about $15 for the PVC, PVC Cement, and Paint. I used the stickers that I got with the Savage to dress it up a little. The color I used was "Safety Orange" with about 3-4 solid coats.

savstanddi8.jpg

You can adjust it for any vehicle really. Just have to make some adjustments to the uprights. I made one for my hellfire. If anyone is interested Ill post pics.

Yeah, I'm sure it would just take a little bit of customizing to get it to fit right. The way the Savage sits on the stand, your main concern would be providing enough width so the truck can sit free. You can just buy the PVC and play around with it, only use cement If necessary and make sure you have it the way you want before you glue it. It aint comin back apart very easily

Your right about that. I didnt even bother gluing it together. It was tight enough without the glue and if I need to adjust it I can

This must be "the" Savage stand to have, lol. I built mine this past summer after some other ideas failed and I stumbled across a link on how to make one. I think it's great how many people made these, and how they all vary so, so, slightly from each other.

^^^Except NissanDriver21's though. I think he stole my plans or something...look! :hardlaugh: (j/k)

dsc00359kq1.jpg

i love my savage stand i painted it purple and have brand stickers to give it a pro feeling and when i got to the track everybody is whoa thats pretty cool.

i just made on yesterday,it is good for adjusting shift points,and it is ceap

100_1258.jpg

my stand only pic of it i painted it with tamyia ploycarbnate paint and its hard to scratch off and i added stickers to give that pro look lol cost 2.00 i aready had the pvc laying around along with the elbows great investment

gluing would be better

Hello,

I was directed here by one of our customers.

You really should glue the fittings together for two reasons.

#1 When you glue fittings and pipe together, the glue melts the plastic to form a single piece, it's just like welding. The socket of the fitting is funnel shaped. You can't see it with your eyes, but it is. When you primer and glue the pipe and fitting it actually melts the plastic chemically so that when you push them together, they deform to match each others shape and then bond to form a single piece. What happens when you just pound it in, is the pipe is putting pressure on the bottom of the fitting and it could crack. (The OD of the pipe is actually slightly greater than the ID at the bottom of the socket.)

#2 Heating and cooling cycles. Everytime the joint goes through a heating/cooling cycle, if it's not glued together, it can push the pipe out of the socket a little bit. It'll take 100's of cycles, but eventually it'll push the pipe out of the socket till one day you go and put the vehicle on the stand and it'll fall out. Of course you can just push it back together. :)

Just fyi. :)

FlexPVC,

Hi, thanks for the post. And thank you very much for helping cutting and getting the parts to me, it would have beendiffucult for me to do it myself. Probably wouldn't of made one if I hadn't found you guys!

BTW: these trucks are amazing little machines, check out some videos in the video subforum, and pic's in the gallery.

John

Last edited by a moderator:
I am still waiting for nice enough weather to spraypaint mine so I can either give the thumbs up or thumbs down on the Krylon Fusion spraypaint. But I want to give it a fair chance, so I am trying to wait for the right weather. So far, every single day that I've been around where the temp is 45+, it's been rainy. Hopefully I will get a chance to try it soon.

As for the kits, they look pretty good. I didn't check on shipping, but for materials, the prices seem extremely reasonable and it'll save you the trouble of cutting the pipe, which is the most tedious part, especially w/o the cutting tool.

i've decided to just buy a premade kit.....saves me some trouble.

I did the same, whatch out for that glue, it drys fast!!!!

I would put it together first without glue so everything is even, then mark stuff with a sharpie so you know exactly how to put it back together with the glue cause if you get it off a little it is stuck that way. Not even sure I would use the glue though it is nice to know it isn't comming apart.

Found this thread yesterday, and went to the hardware store last night.
Parts (with 8" pipe) cost $10.23.
I set up a stop system on my 10" compound miter saw and it took me about 10 minutes to make all the cuts, and 20 minutes total to finish the stand.
I didn't glue, I just smacked it together with a dead-blow hammer.
I think I will paint it at some point, but for now it is perfect.
Thank you for this post. Now I have something to hold it while I do the steering mods.

Latest posts

Members online

Back