Yet another Savage Composite Exhaust Meltdown

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yer is a shame. but the black pipe has the pressure pipe outlet on the side and not the top. They work ok on an XL as the body shell is wider but on a standard savage it touches the shell and over time the shell distorts caused by the heat where the outlet touches the shell. They are designed for there buggies which exit the engine on the left side not the right as a savage does. I have 2 of these pipes. Usable but mot hr best solution.

Well guess what guys, yep another crappy HPI composite has melted, this now makes 3 this year. This one didn't even last 1 tank of fuel. This is not caused by running the mill lean as I was still breaking this motor in and it was running quite rich, engine temp never exceeded 215F and the Mill was even one of HPIs F4.6 units which comes with these pipes as standard. Yet another indication of the piss poor quality of the latest generation of Savages. When HPI had there parts made in Taiwan the quality was far better but this stuff from China is just woeful crap.
Have today emailed HPI about this issue, wil wait for their reply.!!

1665934326131.jpeg
1665934364923.jpeg
1665934394983.jpeg
1665934447965.jpeg

Last edited:
Oh dear not another one mate bad times!
Take it that was a new one & not old stock you had by what you say?
HPI really have got to sort out there quality control this is going to ruin them otherwise, be interested what they say on this! 💩👎🏻
Be interesting how there soon to be released Baja stands up compared to there older models!

Oh dear not another one mate bad times!
Take it that was a new one & not old stock you had by what you say?
HPI really have got to sort out there quality control this is going to ruin them otherwise, be interested what they say on this! 💩👎🏻
Be interesting how there soon to be released Baja stands up compared to there older models!
LOL, Yes Oh dear just about sums it up. No more composite pipe for me, ally all the way now. But this one was a record, it had run on the bench for about 1/2 a tank yesterday and today was the 1st time I have had this build out and as you can see from the video it lasted 3/4 of a tank, wasn't even pushing it hard. melted right through this time and where the rest of it went I have no idea. One good thing was though, I could hear the transmission changing up & down which is always nice.
Will wait to see what HPI have to say about this issue, have sent them photos of all 3 pipes that this has happened to.

Yes & tell them you have posted your findings on here mate! 👎🏻💩
Yes should have done that mate, never thought about using the muscle of the Forum.
Have jerry rigged the silver pipe back on for a short time fix till I source another ally pipe. got the pipe exiting sideway now so the pressure nozzle is at the bottom, will be great for lubing the rear tyre LOL.
The problem with the savage exhaust is that it's one of the few models that has the exhaust on the right side so finding a pipe with the nozzle in the right place is awkward. Could change the manifold to a 1/2 circle type like on the XL which allows the pipe to sit further away from the chassis but then it's very close to the rear shock tower when used with std length TVPs making it hard to get on & off.
1665944642681.jpeg
1665944709799.jpeg
1665944921322.jpeg

You don’t mess around mate, love your enthusiasm for the cause!👍🏻
What about exhaust from RC scrapyard mate?
Thanks mate, yer I don't mess around but don't know whether it's enthusiasm or just frustration 😣.
Have had a look at RCScrapyard again and he still has them pipes which I purchased a few months back. The nozzle is still in the wrong place at about 10 o'clock and not at the top but as they are a bit thinner than the stock pipe & only £10 may just get one anyway.
https://rcscrapyard.com/shocks-and-exhausts/nitro-1/8-exhaust-polished-aluminium-tailpipe-tuned-

Here's 1 fitted to one of my Truckzillas but this has a longer manifold so it sits off the TVP abit more but as the nozzle is further back down the pipe should clear the chassis ok and just fit in front of the fuel inlet on the carb.
1665948293664.jpeg

1665948325476.jpeg
1665948380628.jpeg
1665948518926.jpeg

May switch the 2 pipes over tomorrow and check if it fits nice, I like my pipes to run parallel with the chassis and not stick out towards the front. I know I'm a fussy git but that's the way I roll. 😀😜

Yep to true Aidy but hey not to bothered, know where there are 2 genuine savage ally pipe still for sale @ £28 each. Did bid on that one off eBay but missed it by a quid. 🤐😉, just hope still there come payday.

Still not heard anything back from that RayARacing either, what's wrong with these people. seems they either don't want new customers or don't want to keep the ones they already have.

I don't know if Redcat is available over on your side of the pond, but a quick search found a few pipe and manifold sets , The Backdraft and Earthquake and Aftershock lines use the type used on the Savage Models...

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...=0&_odkw=RedCat+racing+alloy+pipe&_osacat=220
Hi Jam, No not much Redcat stuff over here, come to think of it there ain't much of anything decent for 1/8th scale over here. Looks like you boys over there are hogging all the parts, LOL. Only really got a couple of decent model shops over here for Savage parts, 1 being Wheelspin Models & the other being Modelsport UK. Other than that it's eBay.
Not really a problem getting a pipe though, just pissed off about the quality of these Savage composite pipes and would like HPI to explain to me what the bloody hell they think they are up to supplying this sort of crap.
Would be nice if they would place them to but hey pigs might fly one day.

Still not heard anything back from that RayARacing either, what's wrong with these people. seems they either don't want new customers or don't want to keep the ones they already have.
Sadly support for nitro stuff here in the states is dismal, most prefer the instant gratification of electric stuff these days, I fear Brushless and LiPo technology passed nitro to the dinosaurs, I keep mine alive and running when I have the energy, but honestly it is more work than I want to keep doing, if someone made me a decent offer I might even consider passing them on to a younger crowd...

Sadly support for nitro stuff here in the states is dismal, most prefer the instant gratification of electric stuff these days, I fear Brushless and LiPo technology passed nitro to the dinosaurs, I keep mine alive and running when I have the energy, but honestly it is more work than I want to keep doing, if someone made me a decent offer I might even consider passing them on to a younger crowd...
surprised at that, must of the good stuff I see on eBay seems to be in the States, and with the strong $ and weak £ the shipping now works out dearer then the parts. Just been looking for a set of sway bar ball-end, the ones with the grub screw that clamps to the ends of the bars, all seem to be order in parts over here but loads in stock over your side. Yes think your right about flux taking over. Thing is I love nitro's, yes they are a real pain in the arse most of the time but electric just don't seem to do it for me. But sad to say they are alot easier and cheaper to run.

If you look at these end parts of the HPI composite exhaust you can clearly see that the finish on the material is completely different and have come out of different injection moulds. The top one is of a new pipe since they have been made in China and the bottom one is from an old savage 25 when they were made in Taiwan. The bottom one also had a circle indent in it above the outlet left over from the mould the top one does not.
1666208753235.jpeg

Below, Newer type used since HPIs relaunch. (Chinese)

1666208854893.jpeg

Below, Older type (Taiwan)

1666208951657.jpeg

The old style pipe didn't melt !!!

Never liked a plastic exhaust on my nitro trucks, I switched them all to alloy and never looked back. my first experiences with the USA 1 Nitro Crusher I will say was a joke on that truck, off that crap came and on went a Paris AL650 pipe and manifold...

Attachments

• USA 1 Nitro Crusher 003.jpg
    USA 1 Nitro Crusher 003.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 2
Yes who ever thought plastic and extreme heat went together. Out of my 10 the only 2 still running composite pipes and both are my Savage 25s which still run the 4.1cc mill they came with and both are still running fine with there plastic tubes , seems the 4.6 mills just seem to produce to much heat at the manifold for these pipes to handle. I know that they fitted a metal pipe to the XL 5.9 as standard obviously for this reason. Just don't get why they didn't do the same to the 4.6. It's not like has happened just to the one mill, it has happened on 3 different trucks now, if on the same truck could put it down to a tuning problem like running to lean, but 2 of the meltdowns have been on mills still being broken in and running really rich.
Like you say a piss poor idea and a no brainer in my option. Will change the last 2 plastic pipes in time, hopefully before they melt, that way at least can sell them to some other mug.

Yes you can tell older style is of harder looking plastic mate!
Still no reply from HPI then, I always resend email when they don’t reply! 👍🏻

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back