Yet another Savage Composite Exhaust Meltdown

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gazzman

Well took my Truckzilla down the park today for it's first run and tune after finishing the build of it and after about 20 mins of run time and running well she was, exhaust smoke seemed to be coming from the back of the engine and not the pipe. Well to my disbelief the exhaust had melted. checked the temp of mill and it was around 225 degree F. This is the 3rd composite savage pipe I have now melted. 2 on my K5.9 mills and now one on my Zilla which runs a K4.6. Wasn't to surprised that the K5.9 mills melted them as the XL is meant to have a metal pipe and just excepted the fact that the K5.9 exhaust gas is just to hot for a composite pipe. But HPI put is pipe on the F4.6 as standard and think they did on the K4.6 too. This is a brand new pipe only second time run, What are they making them from now -Chocolate.!!!
Anyone else had this problem?

Attachments

• DSCF0341.JPG
    DSCF0341.JPG
    442.4 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCF0342.JPG
    DSCF0342.JPG
    332.8 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCF0345.JPG
    DSCF0345.JPG
    253.3 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCF0351.JPG
    DSCF0351.JPG
    332.5 KB · Views: 13
Yes have seen this with there Savage V2 happening also, does make you wonder of the present quality!
Your quite welcome to have my original Savage 21 pipe & would be interesting how that bared up & would confirm one way or other of quality of Materials now used I guess Gazzman! 👍🏻

well that does suck, a quick search on e bay for 1/8 alloy pipe gave me these results...
LOL, Don't it just, Like I was saying the other day on here, think the quality of HPIs products have gone right down the toilet, the old stuff was so much better made. Anyway put a metal pipe off of a HPI Pulse buggie I had laying around mounted with an old 1.5mm hex key. Not pretty but works and at least it wont melt.

Attachments

• DSCF0357.JPG
    DSCF0357.JPG
    325.3 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCF0358.JPG
    DSCF0358.JPG
    309.3 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCF0360.JPG
    DSCF0360.JPG
    276.1 KB · Views: 13
Yes have seen this with there Savage V2 happening also, does make you wonder of the present quality!
Your quite welcome to have my original Savage 21 pipe & would be interesting how that bared up & would confirm one way or other of quality of Materials now used I guess Gazzman! 👍🏻
Would be interesting to put it to the test. cos to think of it all 3 pipe that have melted or blown apart have all been new ones and the other 2 I have on my other trucks came off eBay as secondhand parts which is strange as it is up till now are still working fine. Got one on an F4.6 that's working no problem.
If you don't want the one you have and we can sort out a price am willing to give it a try.

Think i'm going to start collecting the old ally pipes as and when they come up on eBay. Got one left as a spare an the moment. No make that 2, just remembered got one on my test rig.

Gazzman welcome to have it FOC & as long as postage is not silly quite happy to cover that, just interested to see if it melts this one also.👍🏻

Gazzman welcome to have it FOC & as long as postage is not silly quite happy to cover that, just interested to see if it melts this one also.👍🏻
Thanks Bro, That would be great and yes it would be interesting to put it on the same mill and see what happens. I don't mind covering the postasge, could send you the money via paypal. What part of Uk you in anyway, may not be to far from each other.

Yer I use him quite a lot as only 10 mile up the road from where I live. Goy some 12mm starter shafts off hin a little while ago to convert all my K series mills from 11mm to 12mm. makes getting pullstarts and roto start a breeze now. got well feed up with re-string my pullstarts, got hands like JCB buckets.LOL.

Yer I use him quite a lot as only 10 mile up the road from where I live. Goy some 12mm starter shafts off hin a little while ago to convert all my K series mills from 11mm to 12mm. makes getting pullstarts and roto start a breeze now. got well feed up with re-string my pullstarts, got hands like JCB buckets.LOL.
Just taken a look, that is a good price I must say. Will order 1 and see what the lenght of it is. Nice one guinnessdublin.👍

Lol, yes good website & see he doesn’t charge any p&p for nitro fuel unlike £7/8 special delivery charge the bigger shops charge!
Exhaust appears to be 160mm so pretty good length!
As soon as HPI released Rota start back in the day have used that ever since with never having an issue, or perhaps in very beginning with OWB & me not knowing when engine was flooded!
I’am down here in a village called Liss near petersfield about an hours drive away I believe.
Just got pipe down from loft which was in my original savage 21 box, was changed out pretty soon after engine was broke in if I remember!

Attachments

• 3F8F27FA-5664-48B5-8427-EAD519B82118.jpeg
    3F8F27FA-5664-48B5-8427-EAD519B82118.jpeg
    259.6 KB · Views: 8
I just can not understand why any manufacturer would even put a plastic pipe on their trucks, I changed out mine for alloy on my nitro stuff, I have an AL 650 on my OFNA 21P4 powered Kyosho USA 1 Nitro Crusher, it was my first Nitro Truck, ya she is old now but still running :LOL:
:LOL::LOL:

Lol, yes a small world & being a lorry driver I salute you with your hard work trying to keep things moving in pandemic! 👍🏻
Yes looking at yours definitely looks more nylon content then my old one! 👎🏻

I just can not understand why any manufacturer would even put a plastic pipe on their trucks, I changed out mine for alloy on my nitro stuff, I have an AL 650 on my OFNA 21P4 powered Kyosho USA 1 Nitro Crusher, it was my first Nitro Truck, ya she is old now but still running :LOL:
:LOL::LOL:
Totally agree Jam 1, but I do like the look of the composite pipe for some reason. The version 1 on the older trucks was defo made from a better material. when you compare the V1 & the V2 they are differnt colours and texture. Just like everything else HPI seem to be producing now. Cheap and nasty. Anyway as the ones I have meltdown they will now get replace with metal one. have just ordered a metal replacent one to replace this grabage.😜

@ guinnessdulblin

Well the new pipe from RC Scrapyard arrived today. Overall very pleased with it for a £10 pipe, It's not chrome but polished ally, same lenght as the std savage ally pipe. The pressure pipe outlet is at 10 o'clock and not at 12 o'clock like the std one but does not foul the chassis. Dosn't come with the grub screw but the thread in the end is 4mm so just used a M4x10 screw. The exhaust outlet is smaller but don't think it will matter as the std pipe has a reducer at the top of the outlet anyway. Will get it out for a test an the weekend if weather is good. Looks nise and blingy and fits very well plus I know this ain't going to melt.

Attachments

• DSCF0381.JPG
    DSCF0381.JPG
    386.5 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCF0376.JPG
    DSCF0376.JPG
    255.4 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCF0387.JPG
    DSCF0387.JPG
    366.9 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCF0392.JPG
    DSCF0392.JPG
    329 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCF0400.JPG
    DSCF0400.JPG
    260.4 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCF0405.JPG
    DSCF0405.JPG
    372.2 KB · Views: 6
Thanks for the update on pipe Gazzman looks good!👍🏻
Hopefully be home in time tomorrow to post pipe out, our local post office has limited opening times due to staff shortages currently! 👎🏻

Thanks for the update on pipe Gazzman looks good!👍🏻
Hopefully be home in time tomorrow to post pipe out, our local post office has limited opening times due to staff shortages currently!
No worries mate, as and when you can.
Totally pee'd off at the moment, been looking for a piston/liner for one of my K5.9s and found a store in Holland call TopRC showing having one in stock so purchased it along with a new conrod, backplate and piston conrod pin. they email me today saying they have sent everything but the piston/liner setas as don't have it in stock when showing they did and refunding me for the item. What a bunch of dicks, could have emailed saying they didn't have before sending the other parts, which are now totally useless to me. Now got a complete engine brand new without a piston/liner, don't even have an old worn one as built the engine from scratch. Even an old worn one would do if anyone has one.

Think they have the K5.9 complete carburettor listed though, maybe worth a call to them! 🙏🏻

Thank mate but not really any point,they won't have one.you can get most parts for it but not the piston set. Been searching the whole Web these knobs in Holland were the only ones showing stock. They've been like rocking horse poop for years

Just to let you know Gazzman have posted exhaust pipe off this afternoon 1st post as promised! 👍🏻
Keep us posted with performance of it mate!

Latest posts

Members online

Back