Yet another Savage Composite Exhaust Meltdown

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had 3 engines pinched and resized by this guy and they run like new once done. he offers lots of options, not sure if he is currently in business but I included the link so you can e mail him, I know it is a pain to ship stuff here to the US to be done, maybe you can find this same service over on your side of the pond to help you out, I sent in a new piston with my engines then when done he shipped it back in a timely manner... I see you are needing a piston and liner so maybe he can help you out there

http://www.rayaracing.com/

ust to let you know Gazzman have posted exhaust pipe off this afternoon 1st post as promised! 👍🏻
Keep us posted with performance of it mate!
Thanks mate it arrived yesterday, definitely made from a differnt blend of material, It's alot duller in colour and has a totally different sound when you tap it. If the weather clears up later will take it out and see if I can melt it. LOL. Want to the RC Scrapyard pipe to to seee what it sounds like.
As for the K5.9 piston/ liner finasgo managed to pick up a complete almost new mill. Just had a knackered starter shaft but I had one of these spare so fitted it and the jobs a gooden.

No problem Gazzman & like you say even just looking at photos you can tell it’s made from different martial, even with it being in my loft for over 15yrs lol.
Good news on K5.9 mill, take it you have/came with carburettor?
I brought a brand new but s/hand Force .28 engine off flebay that must of been sitting in box for years that caused me a whole world of pain trying to tune it, even after stripping engine down & sealing it.
Purchased a new carburettor & it’s a completely different beast now where you can actually tune it! 👍🏻

Yes it came complete, Roto start, carb, flywheel clutch bell, mount the lot. looked like the OWB got abit glued up and caused the starter shaft to slip. The guy had obviously kept trying to start it which had caused the shaft to wear down so it woudn't grip anymore. Nice easy fix, like them like that. Got it for £90
This is the 2nd K5.9 i've puchased now with the same issue, these shafts must be quite soft. but better than the OWB dying I think as can get 12mm shafts for £5 which fit in place of 11mm so gets rid of the finding pull start/rotostart problem to.

Attachments

• DSCF0439.JPG
    DSCF0439.JPG
    294.3 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCF0447.JPG
    DSCF0447.JPG
    331 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCF0448.JPG
    DSCF0448.JPG
    291.8 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCF0452.JPG
    DSCF0452.JPG
    142.1 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCF0453.JPG
    DSCF0453.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 4
Nice find Gazzman Happy Days!
See the complete carbs are £60 on there own!

Oh yes happy days indeed. Changing the subject as you mention carbs. Got any idea if the carb from a F5.9 would fit a K5.9, would be nice to loose the middle needle as the F5.9 carb dosn' have it.

Yes the pesky middle needle lol.
To be honest not 100% sure, but would bet it would fit although costly mistake if it didn’t.
By theory same spec mill & carb should be same diameter to fit into top of engine!
Hopefully someone can 100% confirm! 👍🏻

Okay so the spec dimensions for both carbs I see must refer to I.D. so maybe O.S. measurements are the same?

Just measured it and the inlet is 12mm with a reducer taking it down to 9.5mm.
Right try is one for size, been loooking at a Force CM3613-3 carb meant for the Force 5.9 mill, only 2 needles and 2/3 the price of a K5.9 carb. Can't seem to find any specs for it at the moment but my brain is telling me same size motor same size carb.what's your thought on this? SMDdirect has it in stock for £35

Interesting Gazzman, that’s where I was going to get my Force .28 carb from but found model sport cheaper!
Wouldn’t hurt to email them 1st to confirm size! 👍🏻

And yet another composite savage pipe starts to melt. Removed the mill from one of my savages this morning to change the pressure spring as it has snapped and to my disbelief found the exhaust pipe has started to melt yet again. The pressed in flange on the manifold end has completely disappeared. This has happened 4 times now with these composite pipes. Have had 3 melt on K5.9 mills which didn't surprise me that much as they come with ally pipes due to the heat these mills produce at the manifold, but this one was on a stock F4.6 and was one of the older style pipes which were made from a better quality material than the newer ones. Looks like this truck will be going ally pipe now which only leaves 2 out of 8 still on composite pipes, both of which are ironically .25 mills.

Attachments

• DSCF0293.JPG
    DSCF0293.JPG
    344.2 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCF0294.JPG
    DSCF0294.JPG
    275.8 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCF0342.JPG
    DSCF0342.JPG
    332.8 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCF0345.JPG
    DSCF0345.JPG
    253.3 KB · Views: 4
Yes Bro, and its the one you gave me, you giving your mate dodgy parts. LOL. 😛Only joking. So looks like the older ones melt aswell. Did find it a bit weird as shipped with this pipe from new but did say, this mill is a bit of an animal. Got to wait for a new pressure spring to arrive for the F4.6 so when I put it back together will probably put the Tsais stinger pipe I have on it. Not a lover of these pipes but its metal and all I've got that ain't plastic or for left outlet buggie.

Attachments

• DSCF0308.JPG
    DSCF0308.JPG
    199.6 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCF0309.JPG
    DSCF0309.JPG
    215 KB · Views: 2
Lol, well It was donated for experimental purposes & has confirmed that the old & new can’t put up with the heat! 👍🏻
Missed out on a Genuine Tsais pipe, always wanted one back in the day but couldn’t justify the cost, why are you not a fan of them?

Picked this on up cheap, cheap from Sussex Model Centre in Worthing a couple of months back, only bought it cos of that magpie effect I seem to suffer from. LOL.
Ordinally bought it for my all ally K4.6 El Camino, but main reason didn't like it was as it coats the rear right tyre in oil due to the exhaust outlet blowing towards the tyre, standard pipe just covers the rear wishbone, which I can live with. 2nd reason is that it caused the K4.6HO to run like a pile of poop. This said it now has an HPI ribbed ally pipe off a .25 SS kit and it still runs like poop. LOL. I must say that it sound friggin fantastic and looks the part to boot. One thing I can say for it, is that it won't melt.
The best sounding pipe I have is the twin outlet I have on my Truckzilla K5.9, this pipe sounds the dogs nuts & is quieter than the standard pipe to boot. Wouldn't like to try fitting it to a standard length chassis as was quite a pain getting it in the extend chassis, plus having the smoke coming from the back like a real truck looks the bullocks.

Attachments

• DSCF0320.JPG
    DSCF0320.JPG
    172.5 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCF0321.JPG
    DSCF0321.JPG
    194.2 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCF0323.JPG
    DSCF0323.JPG
    227.9 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCF0322.JPG
    DSCF0322.JPG
    207.7 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCF0324.JPG
    DSCF0324.JPG
    188.7 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCF0326.JPG
    DSCF0326.JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCF0221.JPG
    DSCF0221.JPG
    311.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20220409_085745.jpg
    IMG_20220409_085745.jpg
    332.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20220409_085905.jpg
    IMG_20220409_085905.jpg
    312.7 KB · Views: 2
Got to say mate you do have some very nice looking Savages!👍🏻

Yes did think about the nitro residue with the Tsais pipe but thought I could use my extended exhaust pipe to direct it lower, but I guess spoils the look of it!
Funny was looking at those twin pipes & pretty cheap, do they affect performance or tuning of mill when fitted?

Well have to say Aidy that the 1 I have fitted to the K5.9 Truckzilla works and performs very, very well. Would fit your extended chassis well, just would need to change the silicon manifold tube to a longer one. I used one I found on eBay meant for a boat. The exhaust pitch is a lot lower than the standard pipes plus like I said it looks so cool having rear exhausts, plus no mess up the side of the chassis. The 225mm roto start rod fits in-between the underside of the exhaust and the top of the bumper perfect. For the money they're well worth a try. Think there is a second hand 1 on eBay going cheap, Saying that only paid £15 off Ali-express for mine

Typical the cheaper ones are from bloody China, lol!
See how it mounts but does it touch anywhere to melt parts?
What size silicon tube would I need mate?

Yer China is always the cheapest, most of what I buy from there, and I buy quite alot arrives in under 3 weeks. I would use Ali-express for anything from china. Ordered some parts from them which said delivery around 30th August, well got them last week, it was that lot of parts i showed you. The service is great with regular delivery updates, plus combined shipping, which means you can order from numerous stores and it al arrives in 1 package.
The silicon tube I used was this, from this guy
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391424021000
No it doesn't touch any metal parts, just passes through the right side of the bulkhead.

Attachments

• DSCF0324.JPG
    DSCF0324.JPG
    188.7 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCF0326.JPG
    DSCF0326.JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCF0328.JPG
    DSCF0328.JPG
    283.4 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCF0329.JPG
    DSCF0329.JPG
    274.2 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCF0330.JPG
    DSCF0330.JPG
    208.8 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCF0333.JPG
    DSCF0333.JPG
    161.3 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCF0340.JPG
    DSCF0340.JPG
    280 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCF0341.JPG
    DSCF0341.JPG
    152 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCF0349.JPG
    DSCF0349.JPG
    285.7 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCF0344.JPG
    DSCF0344.JPG
    214 KB · Views: 3
Last 2 photos show the roto start inserted. On my Truckzilla the exhaust joiner pipe is 90mm long. The wheel base on the truckzilla is 370mm, on an XL it's 390mm, so the 100mm silicon tube will work on your model to , as I think you have a 65mm extended chassis, which is shorter than a truckzilla but about the same as an XL give or take a few mm.

No worries bud, but meant to write that your chassis is longer not shorter than a truckzilla but about the same as an XL give or take a few mm.

Well,
And yet another composite savage pipe starts to melt. Removed the mill from one of my savages this morning to change the pressure spring as it has snapped and to my disbelief found the exhaust pipe has started to melt yet again. The pressed in flange on the manifold end has completely disappeared. This has happened 4 times now with these composite pipes. Have had 3 melt on K5.9 mills which didn't surprise me that much as they come with ally pipes due to the heat these mills produce at the manifold, but this one was on a stock F4.6 and was one of the older style pipes which were made from a better quality material than the newer ones. Looks like this truck will be going ally pipe now which only leaves 2 out of 8 still on composite pipes, both of which are ironically .25 mills.
Well put the mill back in with new pressure spring, but have decided to leave the composite pipe on, still has abit of life left in it before complete melt down. Have put a shorter coupler on it for now so as there is no space in the joint, exhaust hard up against the manifold, Keeping an eye out on eBay for an original savage ally tuned pipe to put on it.

Attachments

• DSCF0361.JPG
    DSCF0361.JPG
    232.9 KB · Views: 6
Did email HPI asking if they plan to make polished pipe available & replied saying no but black is available! 👎🏻

Latest posts

Members online

Back