XTRA XL

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mess1ah1

Getting a start on this thread before things get too far along. I have a plethora of extra parts from previous Savage builds so I decided I'd put together another one. So far the only thing I've bought for this is the TVP's and the Nova. I think I've found everything else I need in my parts bins, or I should be able to make so I'm getting to it.

Attachments

• IMG_0518.JPG
    IMG_0518.JPG
    281 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0550.JPG
    IMG_0550.JPG
    385.5 KB · Views: 46
I didn't have great luck with my flux hp with RPM arms and 4 big bores. The arms twist on big air landings and snap the shock ends. Got tired of snapping an end every time I ran it and swapped over to stock arms and the issue went away.

Looks like a good build started either way. Going with a center diff or two speed or 3 speed transmission?

I didn't have great luck with my flux hp with RPM arms and 4 big bores. The arms twist on big air landings and snap the shock ends. Got tired of snapping an end every time I ran it and swapped over to stock arms and the issue went away.

Looks like a good build started either way. Going with a center diff or two speed or 3 speed transmission?

It'll be a tried and true, shimmed 3 speed.

This truck has Vorza modded diffs with hardened internals and the hardened ring gear. The Vorza diff mod gives the benefit of having the same size bearings on both outputs. The reason used to be because the smaller bearing on the stock Savage diffs would wear out faster, also, you had two different size bearing which seamed ridiculous to begin with. These Vorza cups are strong and with the hardened internals, pretty much bulletproof. I don't know what new spec diffs look like but they used to be aluminum with cast internals that would grenade easily. That's why we started using Vorza diffs.

Another Vorza mod on this is the use of the hexs. The axle pin hole is bored out to 1/8" in order to fit the Vorza pins. You can see just how much beefier the Vorza pins are compared with the stock Savage ones. It looks like the newer spec Savages may be using similar hex setups now. Way back when, they weren't. You'd take off a tire and the hex would come off with it, thereby letting the pin fall out because gravity. Then you've invariably lost the pin and unless you were smart enough to have some in a handy tool box, bashing session over. In the fourth picture, you can see how the hex captures the pin which is captured by the axle, so no coming off. The axle spacer and the hex is a tight fit, meaning you have to pull on the axle, push on the hex and bang in the pin all at the same time to get it all to fit, so nothing is just falling out, even with gravity against you. Ah, the good old days of coming up with solutions to our bashing problems...

Attachments

• 100_1708.JPG
    100_1708.JPG
    232.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0482.JPG
    IMG_0482.JPG
    302.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1712.JPG
    IMG_1712.JPG
    357.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1711.JPG
    IMG_1711.JPG
    190.6 KB · Views: 16
I'll be using the gigantic 300cc Octane tank on this build so I had to make a mounting plate for it. I cut it from 1/8" aluminum and basically used my FLM plate from my other Savage as the template for the mounting holes. I had to cut out a spot for the bottom of the tank because it isn't completely flat. Additionally, I drilled a hole above the servo so I can tighten the arm if needed, although I generally put a little locktite on that screw and its a clamp style anyway, but you never know...

The holes for mounting the tank are bigger than I want so I used expansion nuts as grommets and just sliced off the expansion thread. I’ll be cutting some aluminum tube spacers for the back mounts which will then attach to the cross brace in front of the tranny. The front mount will take a little more fabrication work but essentially it will attach to a custom made mount off the front shock tower.

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    333.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 623EABF8-0E6B-44F1-A4C3-13F1D0062EB6.jpeg
    623EABF8-0E6B-44F1-A4C3-13F1D0062EB6.jpeg
    174.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 42147E7E-C343-43E7-B4F7-C0D53B8BFF18.jpeg
    42147E7E-C343-43E7-B4F7-C0D53B8BFF18.jpeg
    196 KB · Views: 7
  • 93BDB3C7-BCF0-4DF5-BFBD-4013DBC41CBB.jpeg
    93BDB3C7-BCF0-4DF5-BFBD-4013DBC41CBB.jpeg
    293.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Since this is a mid-tank modded Savage, I needed to make a plate to fill the space where the original tank would have mounted so I can mount my throttle servo. This is cut from 1/8” aluminum and mounted in place. I churched it up with some holes for looks. I may remake this because it seems I got a little off on my line for the holes...?

Attachments

• FF6D1481-B0D5-4389-BE1F-BE6FD23D72A0.jpeg
    FF6D1481-B0D5-4389-BE1F-BE6FD23D72A0.jpeg
    316.7 KB · Views: 7
Progress on the tank mounts. Rear is sorted, front is getting there. Once the fit is there on the front I’ll church up the part so it isn’t so bleh.

Attachments

• 7B0D76C5-5A02-48B5-97B3-D2C4DBE3F806.jpeg
    7B0D76C5-5A02-48B5-97B3-D2C4DBE3F806.jpeg
    221.9 KB · Views: 6
  • C6173397-E380-4EC9-B9FE-E5E027AFB2E4.jpeg
    C6173397-E380-4EC9-B9FE-E5E027AFB2E4.jpeg
    277.3 KB · Views: 8
  • EEA26B1F-D849-4007-ADFF-E9DCAAA297A9.jpeg
    EEA26B1F-D849-4007-ADFF-E9DCAAA297A9.jpeg
    347.5 KB · Views: 7
  • F5A7C259-3E8A-4097-B0E9-DC9F8D1C71FC.jpeg
    F5A7C259-3E8A-4097-B0E9-DC9F8D1C71FC.jpeg
    298.8 KB · Views: 7
This truck has Vorza modded diffs with hardened internals and the hardened ring gear. The Vorza diff mod gives the benefit of having the same size bearings on both outputs. The reason used to be because the smaller bearing on the stock Savage diffs would wear out faster, also, you had two different size bearing which seamed ridiculous to begin with. These Vorza cups are strong and with the hardened internals, pretty much bulletproof. I don't know what new spec diffs look like but they used to be aluminum with cast internals that would grenade easily. That's why we started using Vorza diffs.

Another Vorza mod on this is the use of the hexs. The axle pin hole is bored out to 1/8" in order to fit the Vorza pins. You can see just how much beefier the Vorza pins are compared with the stock Savage ones. It looks like the newer spec Savages may be using similar hex setups now. Way back when, they weren't. You'd take off a tire and the hex would come off with it, thereby letting the pin fall out because gravity. Then you've invariably lost the pin and unless you were smart enough to have some in a handy tool box, bashing session over. In the fourth picture, you can see how the hex captures the pin which is captured by the axle, so no coming off. The axle spacer and the hex is a tight fit, meaning you have to pull on the axle, push on the hex and bang in the pin all at the same time to get it all to fit, so nothing is just falling out, even with gravity against you. Ah, the good old days of coming up with solutions to our bashing problems...
So, you used the vorsa diff cups with the savage internals/outdrives/ring gear so you would have the 8x16 bearing on both sides? Does the vorsa cup have steel inserts for the x-pins and a steel output insert molded into the cup?

Got a link to the cups?

I hate running that 11x16 or whatever thinner bearing. Even with alloy cups/bp gears, that bearing is still prone to fail.

So, you used the vorsa diff cups with the savage internals/outdrives/ring gear so you would have the 8x16 bearing on both sides? Does the vorsa cup have steel inserts for the x-pins and a steel output insert molded into the cup?

Got a link to the cups?

I hate running that 11x16 or whatever thinner bearing. Even with alloy cups/bp gears, that bearing is still prone to fail.

The cup is a composite plastic, which was scary at first but we trusted other guys who had done it and I’ll tell you I never once had a problem with it. I’ve ran this mod in my Flux but only with 4S. I knew guys who ran 6S on them and were fine. The internals are all Hot Bodies hardened gears. You can use the stock Savage stuff, but that stuff wasn’t hardened back then. Not sure if any of it is still available but there should be comparable parts since the cars are still around. Part numbers that I can remember:

Gear Set - HBSC8101-1
Diff Cup - HBSC8019
Shaft Set - HPI101029

The basic premise of this whole mod was to get away from the thin wall bearing. The hardened gears made for a pretty much bulletproof differential. You could probably find a complete Vorza diff online. You'd need to change the ring gear and the cups over to Savage.

There were guys modding their trucks with CEN diffs too but you'd be lucky to find anything like that now a days. It really is a shame nobody was able to archive the Savage-Central site because this stuff was discussed and shown in depth there. Really, it comes down to people trying things out and sharing their ideas.

Last edited:
Been busy elsewhere but finally got the tank mounted. I used some aluminum channel I had laying around instead of the steel bar from earlier. The bar didn’t have the depth I needed. The tank is good and sturdy in there so I’m pleased with the outcome.

Attachments

• E723CE6F-2974-44BD-A10E-24F2D045E392.jpeg
    E723CE6F-2974-44BD-A10E-24F2D045E392.jpeg
    246.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 3B4D8AF6-6EDD-4137-9FC1-38BFA8412A82.jpeg
    3B4D8AF6-6EDD-4137-9FC1-38BFA8412A82.jpeg
    248.4 KB · Views: 17
  • F33CA79D-9403-4739-9380-58305930BFFC.jpeg
    F33CA79D-9403-4739-9380-58305930BFFC.jpeg
    324.4 KB · Views: 21
  • CA3B29EC-1087-4FFD-825F-349EA45EABEC.jpeg
    CA3B29EC-1087-4FFD-825F-349EA45EABEC.jpeg
    433.5 KB · Views: 20
Loving your effects so far can’t wait to see the end result, what wheels are you going for? ??

I’ve got Big Joes, Badlands, and 5 pairs of stockers on hand. I believe I want to get a pair of street tires for this too for some speed runs.

Looks like that tank is made for pump gas. It may have a vented cap and you might want to make sure the lines are compatible with nitro fuel before you get too far. You don't want the cap to be vented. A nitro system needs to hold pressure. That tank is huge!

Looks like that tank is made for pump gas. It may have a vented cap and you might want to make sure the lines are compatible with nitro fuel before you get too far. You don't want the cap to be vented. A nitro system needs to hold pressure. That tank is huge!

It is for gas, it’s the Octane tank and the vent has been sealed with epoxy.

Throttle and brake linkages worked out and installed. I believe the bits are from Dubro. I have a whole mess of them from years ago. Just so happened to have some purple. ?‍♂️

28AFC402-CEF9-4FE6-9CD1-66CEF95C8F04.jpegE3AC11D1-CE26-40C4-83B3-F387357556BE.jpeg

Last edited:
Steering sorted. Savox SC-1268SG using a Robitronics 25 spline servo horn with two aluminum rod ends joined together for the steering crank. This servo was in my FLUX and worked very well with Big Joe’s so I’m not concerned about any torque issues.

D28DA7A6-95FA-4985-AACE-D008D16046C7.jpeg8CA9DA82-EA67-4360-9420-5D87CFDDE6A7.jpeg

Last edited:
One of the drawbacks to mid tanks is losing the space for the receiver. I’ve built a few and never really cared for the solution where I mount it on the outside of the chassis. My other Nitro has it in an RPM box just behind the left front wheel. It works, but it has never sat right with me.

So, I’m going to try putting it inside the TVP’s in front of the rear bulkhead. Made a plate out of 1/8 aluminium and bolted it to an extra cross brace. (I’ll be churching that plate up later.)

It will go inside another RPM box so it doesn’t get all gunked up. The Nova is also getting a pull-start so there isn’t any conflicts.6CC80B8C-73F0-4CA0-9ABB-A568BC72C0E4.jpeg70A705C5-D9F2-43BA-BD64-4FFAEFE2ADB8.jpegED5E2A48-851E-467D-97E8-ADBA5954768A.jpeg

This thread is golden! Supppppper keen to see this thing running!

For one, love the phrase "church up", brilliant! Never heard that one here in Aus ?

I have, well had, that exact steering servo in my flux rig. It was running mint till I fried it at the beach. Didn't hit any water, the steering just stopped suddenly and the servo was wayyyyy too hot to touch. Will have to strip it later on and see whats cooked inside, I think my voltage ripple is too great on the setup currently, will need to add some caps and clean it up a bit.

Couple questions.
Do you have P/N's for the rim and tyre setup you have on that rig? sooo much want!

I have been looking around for a while for those shock towers, they're the FLM ones if I'm not mistaken? If you know where I can get some pleaassse let me know xD

The last photo you uploaded of the receiver on the back, to me it looks like it might interfere with the roto-start? could just be the camera angle though.

How come you haven't gone with ali steering servo saver like this one? Uses bearing rather than bushes. had mine for years and the bearing are still going great!

Couple questions.
Do you have P/N's for the rim and tyre setup you have on that rig? sooo much want!

I have been looking around for a while for those shock towers, they're the FLM ones if I'm not mistaken? If you know where I can get some pleaassse let me know xD

The last photo you uploaded of the receiver on the back, to me it looks like it might interfere with the roto-start? could just be the camera angle though.

How come you haven't gone with ali steering servo saver like this one? Uses bearing rather than bushes. had mine for years and the bearing are still going great!

Those tires are Proline Badlands mounted on Desperado wheels.

They are indeed the FLM shock towers. I bought them straight from FLM a number of years back.

As I stated in the post, the Nova is getting a pullstart, but the rotostart does clear.

0285C812-8213-4173-89D9-F3A155282BE1.jpeg

I use bearings in my bell crank unit instead of the bushings. The plastic unit works just fine for me so I never went with aluminum.

Last edited:
I really want that wheel setup ??
giphy.gif

Handy that the rotostart works! How come you want to switch to a pullstart?
Just for the convenience of not needing a tool to start the rig?

What pipe are you planning on using?

Last edited:
I really want that wheel setup ??
View attachment 7582

Handy that the rotostart works! How come you want to switch to a pullstart?
Just for the convenience of not needing a tool to start the rig?

What pipe are you planning on using?

I like pull start better. It’s convenient. Roto will work for now I guess. It’ll be an ERCM sidebleed going on there.

I always preferred pull start as well. Let's you feel if the engine is flooded or something else. Well... I prefer it on normal days. Break-in days tend to suck. lol!

I always preferred pull start as well. Let's you feel if the engine is flooded or something else. Well... I prefer it on normal days. Break-in days tend to suck. lol!
In all the 3 savages I've owned I've had a pullstart. Mainly because they already came like that so I never tried out a rotostart.
Never saw the point converting them to rotostart when the pullstart worked just fine. Also its expensive to get all the poop you need ?

Every traxxas I've owned, I've replaced the ezstart with a pullstart. At the time, I had just one charger to charge my transmitter/receiver and starter battery. Having to charge up multiple batteries to keep everything running for a day was just something I didn't want to fuss with. I suppose now it would be less headache to have it now that I run electric and have proper chargers for packs that run in those. Still, it's nice to just have a glow heater in your pocket vs the roto-starter or ezstarter thing.

In the past, I’ve just zip tied my rx battery tightly to the shock tower. It works, but it makes finding a way to charge it a chore, specifically when you want to ensure a balanced charge (I’ve never found an extension for the balance plug). So, I decided to go this route. Just some aluminum rod that I threaded and then a small plate cut from aluminum (churched up a bit of course). The battery rests between two slices of foam for shock and compression. It ain’t moving.

E5D83A52-3B29-4458-B565-46F85C3749CD.jpeg

Mounted the pipe today. Had to drill a hole in the FLM plate where I needed the mount to go. Cut and threaded some aluminum rod and the ERCM side bleed is on.

D64F64D6-6289-4C34-83DA-B8D1B1E8F70A.jpeg08DFACE2-5128-42BC-9703-B0049652F23D.jpeg09AB8F89-2D12-4D30-BD92-CF73E7B06C63.jpeg

Latest posts

Members online

Back