This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well great. I had those clutch shoes and springs in back order. Expected to arrive around late Feb. that wasn't too bad, I don't mind a little wait. Just checked them today and it moved it to the middle of my March. Great.

Thanks for all the alternatives guys but I've already ordered them so I'm just going to wait it out. I'm going to be busy for the next couple weeks with a new project for school so idk if I will even have time to run rc. Also it isn't supposed to get above 30-40 Degress until mid march.

Hey guys sorry for the inactivity, still waiting on the clutch shoes. Since I've never actually had to take apart a clutch in my years of nitro rc experience, I thought would would a good idea to take the clutch shoes off and look around. Shoe and spring removal was extremely easy, just popped right off with a flat head screwdriver. I then looked at my flywheel and noticed it has three pegs and one of them was not staying in (it was popping out) I immideatley knew this was bad, so now begs the question: do I order a new flywheel or is there a way I can glue the peg back in? Here are some pictures
IMG_0898.JPG IMG_0899.JPG
You can see from this one the right pin is out the one above is a picture of the pin from the flywheel

I tried jb welding one back in, but it didn't hold very long. I also tried using a prick punch around the hole to make the hole smaller at the surface at least, then drove the pin in, didn't hold up well either.

ok so back to what this thread was originally meant for. I decided to just skip the start/run video and went ahead and took the clutch bell off to examine the rest of the clutch components, here's what I found:
View attachment 3024
Looks to me like the top right clutch shoe has become lose or broke and started wearing against the clutch bell. Since it is out of position it was moving the others as well. So I think I just found my problem. I have new clutch shoes and springs on the way, but it looks like I may need a tool for the shoe springs.

yes you could buy a tool, but I have never had a problem using a small screw driver and some patience, once you get the hang of it its simple and quick.. this is true... i have done it like this b4!!!

no problem remember when motor is out, clean it well, check for screw tightness on backplate , head , motor mount screws, check carb orings and sealing, tightening areas to make sure and check header to block gasket for any wear. I do this when ever motor come out

Alright I now have brand new clutch shoes and springs as well as a new flywheel. I'm going to put the clutch back together this weekend and test it if I got time. I have a quick question about the springs though: do the springs rest in the but that holds the flywheel in place or do they rest on each other?

Alright I now have brand new clutch shoes and springs as well as a new flywheel. I'm going to put the clutch back together this weekend and test it if I got time. I have a quick question about the springs though: do the springs rest in the but that holds the flywheel in place or do they rest on each other?

Read your manual, lots of good info in there. ;)

upload_2017-3-10_7-39-14.png

Thanks for the pic. I'll put it on the nut like it says. Also I don't have a manual for the savage because the guy I bought it from said he lost it. Oh well, thanks anyway!

Manuals are on the HPI website for all Savage models. ;)

IMG_1910.JPG
And just like that the engine is back together! Just gotta let the locktite dry and retune tomorrow (If it's nice out) I would like to give a big thanks to everyone that helped me towards getting this thing put back in the right order!!

View attachment 3134
And just like that the engine is back together! Just gotta let the locktite dry and retune tomorrow (If it's nice out) I would like to give a big thanks to everyone that helped me towards getting this thing put back in the right order!!
Just a quick note, it looks like you are missing the bushing that goes between the screw on the end of the crank and the clutch bearing? I think I can see a washer but no bushing? Part #86171

Last edited:
did you ever get the problem figured out? the F46 is so easy to tune. but then i automaticlly seal my engines before i put them into service

did you ever get the problem figured out? the F46 is so easy to tune. but then i automaticlly seal my engines before i put them into service

Sorry for the inactivity. I have not even put the engine back together because I got the wrong collet for my engine! It came with the flywheel and it was actually the 7x7.5mm instead of the 7x6.5mm so the entire clutch/drive assembly was off. Couldn't mount the engine properly without grinding the clutch bell. Luckily I am having a new collet sent to me from Indiana and should be here this weekend. Hoping for the best.

why didnt ya just take a little meat off the bigger collet or use the stock collet? which clutch did you get?

why didnt ya just take a little meat off the bigger collet or use the stock collet? which clutch did you get?

The collet needs to have the correct angle of taper to function properly. If I were to grind it down it would not work because the the diameter of the top would have increased and the taper decrease. It would not work, plus the old collet was incredibly worn and had multiple chips so I threw it out. I got the flywheel/collet that was for the gen 2 x4.6 (the one I have) so Idk if I messed up or Hpi did

Latest posts

Members online

Back