Whoo hoo another tuning problem,

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ravaging_savage

What else is new. Anyway I had issues with tuning the motor and I talked to robin and he gave me some great advice. Well i went and did a mid tank mod and then sealed the entire motor with hondabond. everything was sealed. Now I am having issues that I cannot figure out. I have the low spd need turned in about 3/4 a turn and the high speed about 1 turn in. The idle races the truck seems to bog and hick up, if i run it hard it just shuts off. I posted vids so you can hear and see the truck perform and maybe throw some ideas my way.

SNC00002.jpg

The radio is off and the truck is set with the above pictured idle gap. you cant see in the vid but it has a constant blue smoke out of the exhaust.
http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b307/Specd_Out/Savage/?action=view&current=SNC00004.flv

here it is running (barely) It keeps turn off cause its bogging out. when it warms up then it clears up runs fine but then wont idle. Its quite windy so the smoke gets dispersed fast but you can still see it
http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b307/Specd_Out/Savage/?action=view&current=SNC00005.flv

that idle gap is too big in the pic. is that how it is set ? I have a pic uploading for you of my picco. Granted its a modified motor that works at max efficiency but never the less shows the gap it runs best at. Be posted here in a few

don't mind the CB its junk yes...
DSC_0339.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
In the first vid it seems like your idle is set to high and making it want to creep thus moving the tires. In the second vid it kinds seems like it's running to lean. There should be more smoke than that. Now this is just IMO as I am learning myself. Terry

I'm no expert but the in second video it sure sounds like the low side is lean. I would try returning all screws to factory and then spend some quality time tuning. Good luck

alright it seems that everyone says to richen the low end so I will do that. as far as. the idle gap, its at the smallest opening that I can get the truck to start with. any smaller and i have to hold open the throttle to start it. as soon as i release the gas its shuts off.

once you richen up the lsn it will idle way to high. i say set it back to factory and set the idle gap as in banks pic and slowly lean it out on the hsn needle first then see where you are with the lsn. i know with my axial (its the .28spec1s) my lsn is prob 3 hours rich from flush to have the desired 1-2 degrees of cooling every 5 secs,as per purenitros tuning guide

Get that gap down you cant tune the LSN till you do. My picco wont run till its warm too. But once to temp it purrs like a kitten at idle. Take up the trim or hold the throttle open. Any adjustment you are making to the LSN with the carb that open is going to change. your HSn will be affected when you let off the throttle too. your giving it more air. if you take it in its the same as taking the lsn out. your reducing air instead of fuel = richer ...

Last edited by a moderator:
I have tried everything a idle gap that small wont even hint at trying to start. If hold the throttle open to start the instant it closes the truck shuts off. I brought everything back to stock and it started and ran but the min i let it idle it died. now it wont start. I can modify and build cars from the ground up, I can build a computer no problem but I cannot get this stupid truck to run to save my life. I have checked everything, good battery in my igniter, new plug, brand new gas, compression, pinch, its sealed, new fuel lines, I am at such a loss, I wish I could give it to some one and see what they do different

Are you tuning the needles at all? Stock settings are way to rich, if the settings are stock, that is the reason it will not run, and it probably never will. Try leaning the needles, start with a new plug and a recharged batteries, heat the block first, it will run.

Members online

No members online now.
Back